Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Interior carpet input requested., Perlon vs. "German Squeare Weave" ??
mountainroads
post Aug 3 2016, 11:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,145
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nearing goal line on 1970 -6 restoration and car moving on to the interior shop, today. Requesting group input on interior carpet options. I understand that Perlon is more "correct" for a 1970 cabin, but that "German Square Weave" might offer some advantages, principally durability. The Square Weave is apparently also much more expensive.

This is not a numbers-matching car and there's several departures from stock, so it won't be winning any Preservation Class awards. That said, I'd like to stick to originality where I can, but open to deviations if/where it makes sense. Not a daily driver, so I'm not overly concerned about durability and was planning on Cocomats to protect new carpet, regardless. Perlon will be going in both trunks, per stock.

Soliciting advice from the group on topic. Thanks in advance.

- MR
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 3 2016, 11:07 AM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Well depending on where you are in the NW. You are welcome to stop by and make the determination yourself. Just let me know when you are coming, I try to keep both on the shelf, and have both ready right now.
Mark
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 3 2016, 11:18 AM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Hi MR -

I do see a lot of folks using the square weave, even though it's not original for 914s. WE don't deduct for a nice but incorrect carpet etc. at our PCA Zone 8 Concours, & AFAIK neither does your Zone nor PNW Region.

Even if your -6 isn't numbers matching, you may eventually find it's motor/case, & factory -6's are definitely worth doing correctly for best value in either case (not always true for some non-#-matching /4s).

Only the F & R trunk carpet were the same dark grey Perlon on all 914s 70-76 (with many differences due to dye lots or batches).

Your 70 -6 could've had either perlon or loop pile (as an option or with Appearance Group), & you can see pix of the color choices at Jeff Bowlsby's website on the dealer sales color brochures.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

You can get new material repro 914 carpet kits from: Autos International in Escondido CA, World Upholstery in Ventura CA, another who's name escapes me is in the PNW (they advertise in Panorama & Excellence), & Lakewell.com in Euro-land (their's are really good quality German/Euro made carpet material).

PS - I forgot that Mark/Mikey914 914Rubber has carpet sets too!

They will all send you color sample swatches, so you can see 1st hand what fits your tastes & other interior colors (also which are more shiny material than OE).

If you want long lasting carpet, stick with the German material, since the Domestic sold by the USA 3 isn't as good a quality, & not worth saving the bucks, when you have to replace every couple of years of regular use.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Aug 3 2016, 11:37 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 3 2016, 10:07 AM) *

Well depending on where you are in the NW. You are welcome to stop by and make the determination yourself. Just let me know when you are coming, I try to keep both on the shelf, and have both ready right now.
Mark

Hello Mark:

Thanks for the offer. I'm up in Seattle. Interior shop (Ballard) already has both on-hand, also. He just wants to know what I want to use.

Regards,

- MR
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Aug 3 2016, 11:49 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 3 2016, 10:18 AM) *

Hi MR -

I do see a lot of folks using the square weave, even though it's not original for 914s. WE don't deduct for a nice but incorrect carpet etc. at our PCA Zone 8 Concours, & AFAIK neither does your Zone nor PNW Region.

Even if your -6 isn't numbers matching, you may eventually find it's motor/case, & factory -6's are definitely worth doing correctly for best value in either case (not always true for some non-#-matching /4s).

Only the F & R trunk carpet were the same dark grey Perlon on all 914s 70-76 (with many differences due to dye lots or batches).

Your 70 -6 could've had either perlon or loop pile (as an option or with Appearance Group), & you can see pix of the color choices at Jeff Bowlsby's website on the dealer sales color brochures.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

You can get new material repro 914 carpet kits from: Autos International in Escondido CA, World Upholstery in Ventura CA, another who's name escapes me is in the PNW (they advertise in Panorama & Excellence), & Lakewell.com in Euro-land (their's are really good quality German/Euro made carpet material).

PS - I forgot that Mark/Mikey914 914Rubber has carpet sets too!

They will all send you color sample swatches, so you can see 1st hand what fits your tastes & other interior colors (also which are more shiny material than OE).

If you want long lasting carpet, stick with the German material, since the Domestic sold by the USA 3 isn't as good a quality, & not worth saving the bucks, when you have to replace every couple of years of regular use.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Thanks much for the input/advice, Tom. I'll definitely check out the Bowlsby link. Original engine case scrapped long ago, as the engine was blown two owners ago.

Shop doing the work has the good German stuff on hand. We'll discuss tomorrow after he goes over the car today. Sounds like the Square Weave makes more sense, at this point.

- MR
+Quote Post
porbmw
post Aug 3 2016, 12:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,534

This has been somewhat of a topic from time to time.

The problem with 1970 6s is that they did not sue perlon or loop pile. They used the felt material...(I have had a few discussions with George Hussey on this, in years past, and he still remains an authority on this topic.

I was told by George that in 1971 Porsche reverted to using the same material in the 6s as the rest of the cars...

So 1970 was a "one off"...which, of course, leaves me and numerous other 6 owners of that year without correct carpet (and I truly could use a set of correct carpet)

Paul
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Aug 3 2016, 12:12 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,218
Region Association: Northern California

I’m planning on square weave for my 914, in the hopefully near future. Mainly because I prefer the square weave, and I would like to make the car a little less ‘70s looking…
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Aug 3 2016, 12:39 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Aug 3 2016, 11:12 AM) *

and I would like to make the car a little less ‘70s looking…

Really?? I thought that was one of it's charms?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 3 2016, 12:52 PM
Post #9

The rubber man

Just from curiosity, I did hear some of the 70's did not have the carpet grommets. What did yours have?
Pic shown on black domestic

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Aug 3 2016, 01:07 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 3 2016, 11:52 AM) *

Just from curiosity, I did hear some of the 70's did not have the carpet grommets. What did yours have?

Is that a trunk shot? If so, then mine has the grommets.

- MR
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Aug 3 2016, 01:57 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,218
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Aug 3 2016, 11:39 AM) *

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Aug 3 2016, 11:12 AM) *

and I would like to make the car a little less ‘70s looking…

Really?? I thought that was one of it's charms?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

It is until you look at early 911s…
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Aug 3 2016, 05:54 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 3 2016, 10:52 AM) *

Just from curiosity, I did hear some of the 70's did not have the carpet grommets. tic

January 1970 build.......no carpet grommets

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Aug 3 2016, 06:57 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

#379.....no gromets
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 4 2016, 02:59 AM
Post #14

The rubber man

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Aug 3 2016, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 3 2016, 11:52 AM) *

Is that a trunk shot? If so, then mine has the grommets.

- MR

No floor. Its how they held the drivers and passenger side in place. Here's a shot not installed

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rudedude
post Aug 4 2016, 06:33 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,387
Region Association: Upper MidWest

#729 has grommets for the carpet
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:23 PM