Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior carpet input requested.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mountainroads
Nearing goal line on 1970 -6 restoration and car moving on to the interior shop, today. Requesting group input on interior carpet options. I understand that Perlon is more "correct" for a 1970 cabin, but that "German Square Weave" might offer some advantages, principally durability. The Square Weave is apparently also much more expensive.

This is not a numbers-matching car and there's several departures from stock, so it won't be winning any Preservation Class awards. That said, I'd like to stick to originality where I can, but open to deviations if/where it makes sense. Not a daily driver, so I'm not overly concerned about durability and was planning on Cocomats to protect new carpet, regardless. Perlon will be going in both trunks, per stock.

Soliciting advice from the group on topic. Thanks in advance.

- MR
Mikey914
Well depending on where you are in the NW. You are welcome to stop by and make the determination yourself. Just let me know when you are coming, I try to keep both on the shelf, and have both ready right now.
Mark
Tom_T
Hi MR -

I do see a lot of folks using the square weave, even though it's not original for 914s. WE don't deduct for a nice but incorrect carpet etc. at our PCA Zone 8 Concours, & AFAIK neither does your Zone nor PNW Region.

Even if your -6 isn't numbers matching, you may eventually find it's motor/case, & factory -6's are definitely worth doing correctly for best value in either case (not always true for some non-#-matching /4s).

Only the F & R trunk carpet were the same dark grey Perlon on all 914s 70-76 (with many differences due to dye lots or batches).

Your 70 -6 could've had either perlon or loop pile (as an option or with Appearance Group), & you can see pix of the color choices at Jeff Bowlsby's website on the dealer sales color brochures.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

You can get new material repro 914 carpet kits from: Autos International in Escondido CA, World Upholstery in Ventura CA, another who's name escapes me is in the PNW (they advertise in Panorama & Excellence), & Lakewell.com in Euro-land (their's are really good quality German/Euro made carpet material).

PS - I forgot that Mark/Mikey914 914Rubber has carpet sets too!

They will all send you color sample swatches, so you can see 1st hand what fits your tastes & other interior colors (also which are more shiny material than OE).

If you want long lasting carpet, stick with the German material, since the Domestic sold by the USA 3 isn't as good a quality, & not worth saving the bucks, when you have to replace every couple of years of regular use.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mountainroads
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 3 2016, 10:07 AM) *

Well depending on where you are in the NW. You are welcome to stop by and make the determination yourself. Just let me know when you are coming, I try to keep both on the shelf, and have both ready right now.
Mark

Hello Mark:

Thanks for the offer. I'm up in Seattle. Interior shop (Ballard) already has both on-hand, also. He just wants to know what I want to use.

Regards,

- MR
mountainroads
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 3 2016, 10:18 AM) *

Hi MR -

I do see a lot of folks using the square weave, even though it's not original for 914s. WE don't deduct for a nice but incorrect carpet etc. at our PCA Zone 8 Concours, & AFAIK neither does your Zone nor PNW Region.

Even if your -6 isn't numbers matching, you may eventually find it's motor/case, & factory -6's are definitely worth doing correctly for best value in either case (not always true for some non-#-matching /4s).

Only the F & R trunk carpet were the same dark grey Perlon on all 914s 70-76 (with many differences due to dye lots or batches).

Your 70 -6 could've had either perlon or loop pile (as an option or with Appearance Group), & you can see pix of the color choices at Jeff Bowlsby's website on the dealer sales color brochures.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

You can get new material repro 914 carpet kits from: Autos International in Escondido CA, World Upholstery in Ventura CA, another who's name escapes me is in the PNW (they advertise in Panorama & Excellence), & Lakewell.com in Euro-land (their's are really good quality German/Euro made carpet material).

PS - I forgot that Mark/Mikey914 914Rubber has carpet sets too!

They will all send you color sample swatches, so you can see 1st hand what fits your tastes & other interior colors (also which are more shiny material than OE).

If you want long lasting carpet, stick with the German material, since the Domestic sold by the USA 3 isn't as good a quality, & not worth saving the bucks, when you have to replace every couple of years of regular use.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks much for the input/advice, Tom. I'll definitely check out the Bowlsby link. Original engine case scrapped long ago, as the engine was blown two owners ago.

Shop doing the work has the good German stuff on hand. We'll discuss tomorrow after he goes over the car today. Sounds like the Square Weave makes more sense, at this point.

- MR
porbmw
This has been somewhat of a topic from time to time.

The problem with 1970 6s is that they did not sue perlon or loop pile. They used the felt material...(I have had a few discussions with George Hussey on this, in years past, and he still remains an authority on this topic.

I was told by George that in 1971 Porsche reverted to using the same material in the 6s as the rest of the cars...

So 1970 was a "one off"...which, of course, leaves me and numerous other 6 owners of that year without correct carpet (and I truly could use a set of correct carpet)

Paul
damesandhotrods
I’m planning on square weave for my 914, in the hopefully near future. Mainly because I prefer the square weave, and I would like to make the car a little less ‘70s looking…
mountainroads
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Aug 3 2016, 11:12 AM) *

and I would like to make the car a little less ‘70s looking…

Really?? I thought that was one of it's charms?? blink.gif
Mikey914
Just from curiosity, I did hear some of the 70's did not have the carpet grommets. What did yours have?
Pic shown on black domestic
mountainroads
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 3 2016, 11:52 AM) *

Just from curiosity, I did hear some of the 70's did not have the carpet grommets. What did yours have?

Is that a trunk shot? If so, then mine has the grommets.

- MR
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Aug 3 2016, 11:39 AM) *

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Aug 3 2016, 11:12 AM) *

and I would like to make the car a little less ‘70s looking…

Really?? I thought that was one of it's charms?? blink.gif

It is until you look at early 911s…
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 3 2016, 10:52 AM) *

Just from curiosity, I did hear some of the 70's did not have the carpet grommets. tic

January 1970 build.......no carpet grommets
gereed75
#379.....no gromets
Mikey914
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Aug 3 2016, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 3 2016, 11:52 AM) *

Is that a trunk shot? If so, then mine has the grommets.

- MR

No floor. Its how they held the drivers and passenger side in place. Here's a shot not installed
rudedude
#729 has grommets for the carpet
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.