Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Were did webber go...?, Carbs be good right?
Boldylocks
post Apr 12 2005, 01:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,135

Hey, I just made my way through a brain-box replacement and during the head scratching process -hhmmm is it my points, my fuel stuff.. .- it occured to me that I can get rid of my brain-box by putting carbs in car.. RIGHT? (1.7L)..

Now, I'm hangin out in the 914 for sale salon and I read that Webber is gone??
Is that true? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
machina
post Apr 12 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

i think there was a strike at the factory, some story like that.

check thesamba.com, they always have lots of weber stuff for sale there.
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Apr 12 2005, 01:45 PM
Post #3

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

Fix the FI. Unless you change the cam, you probably won't get the preformance you're hoping for out of carbs.

Whats wrong with the FI? There are a lot of really smart people here. They can help you fix it.

+Quote Post
Boldylocks
post Apr 12 2005, 03:17 PM
Post #4

I had to replace the 'brain-box'.. it was sending way too much gas to th engine..
New/old brain from my other engine..
I'd like to find a way get my hands on another brain just to have it handy...Do people sell refurbished brains and wire kits? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Apr 12 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #5

I like stuff!

What exactly was wrong with the ECU? Did you open it up to see? From what I hear, they very rarely fail. Did you replace it with an ECU from the same year and engine size? I believe there were changes between year and engine displacement.

If you changed the ECU and it runs fine now, why would you want to convert to carbs? Personally, I prefer FI, but I've never really played with carbs before.

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 12 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Boldylocks @ Apr 12 2005, 02:17 PM)
I had to replace the 'brain-box'.. it was sending way too much gas to th engine..
New/old brain from my other engine..
I'd like to find a way get my hands on another brain just to have it handy...Do people sell refurbished brains and wire kits? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif)

for a rebuilt/refurbished wiring harness, Jeff Bowlsby can help and it highly recommended.....

not sure why the ECU itself would be sending too much fuel...have you checked out this site to figure out to test the sensors that give the ECU inputs how how much fuel to feed the engine??

Ultimate D-Jet information page
+Quote Post
Boldylocks
post Apr 12 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #7

Not sure why either.. mainly because I'm not that mechanically inclined..
However, after pretty much changing, checking replacing all of the other components...
the car continued to run really rich...
replaced the ECU (I like brainbox better) and all is well?

I dont know, like most of us, Im just happy when the car is running. This was the first issue I had with it since buying an engine through this board to replace my other engine..
With low 'check the oil' maintenance the car has been my daily driver for over 16 months before it got sick recently.. and again, putting in the ECU from my other engine after changing replacing everything else solved the 'rich' running issue...

I'll be seeing Dr. Evil later this eve, and maybe he'll have some other idea of what could have been wrong.
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Apr 12 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #8

I like stuff!

What FI parts did you replace and/or check? MPS, CHT. TPS, trigger points? Lots of stuff that could potentially cause a rich condition. Read that web page that Mueller posted a few times. You should be able to figure it out. If the car runs good now, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Apr 12 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #9

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

If the problem comes back even with the "new" ECU, you might try looking for ground problems, and make sure all of the sensor connectors are clean and properly seated. Sometimes just unplugging and replugging in a connector that hasn't been touched in 20 years will clear up a problem.

Weber isn't gone, but there's been a long strike at the Spanish factory where the carbs are made. If you really want to try carbs (which I'd not recommend), you'll most likely have to buy used. Sets show up on Ebay all the time.
+Quote Post
michel richard
post Apr 12 2005, 05:05 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 936

It's never th ECU that's wrong on a 914. The Manifold Pressure Sensor, on the other hand, is often the culprit and will cause a rich condition in common failure modes.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:04 PM