Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Were did webber go...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boldylocks
Hey, I just made my way through a brain-box replacement and during the head scratching process -hhmmm is it my points, my fuel stuff.. .- it occured to me that I can get rid of my brain-box by putting carbs in car.. RIGHT? (1.7L)..

Now, I'm hangin out in the 914 for sale salon and I read that Webber is gone??
Is that true? screwy.gif
machina
i think there was a strike at the factory, some story like that.

check thesamba.com, they always have lots of weber stuff for sale there.
mike_the_man
Fix the FI. Unless you change the cam, you probably won't get the preformance you're hoping for out of carbs.

Whats wrong with the FI? There are a lot of really smart people here. They can help you fix it.

Boldylocks
I had to replace the 'brain-box'.. it was sending way too much gas to th engine..
New/old brain from my other engine..
I'd like to find a way get my hands on another brain just to have it handy...Do people sell refurbished brains and wire kits? welder.gif
mike_the_man
What exactly was wrong with the ECU? Did you open it up to see? From what I hear, they very rarely fail. Did you replace it with an ECU from the same year and engine size? I believe there were changes between year and engine displacement.

If you changed the ECU and it runs fine now, why would you want to convert to carbs? Personally, I prefer FI, but I've never really played with carbs before.

Mueller
QUOTE (Boldylocks @ Apr 12 2005, 02:17 PM)
I had to replace the 'brain-box'.. it was sending way too much gas to th engine..
New/old brain from my other engine..
I'd like to find a way get my hands on another brain just to have it handy...Do people sell refurbished brains and wire kits? welder.gif

for a rebuilt/refurbished wiring harness, Jeff Bowlsby can help and it highly recommended.....

not sure why the ECU itself would be sending too much fuel...have you checked out this site to figure out to test the sensors that give the ECU inputs how how much fuel to feed the engine??

Ultimate D-Jet information page
Boldylocks
Not sure why either.. mainly because I'm not that mechanically inclined..
However, after pretty much changing, checking replacing all of the other components...
the car continued to run really rich...
replaced the ECU (I like brainbox better) and all is well?

I dont know, like most of us, Im just happy when the car is running. This was the first issue I had with it since buying an engine through this board to replace my other engine..
With low 'check the oil' maintenance the car has been my daily driver for over 16 months before it got sick recently.. and again, putting in the ECU from my other engine after changing replacing everything else solved the 'rich' running issue...

I'll be seeing Dr. Evil later this eve, and maybe he'll have some other idea of what could have been wrong.
mike_the_man
What FI parts did you replace and/or check? MPS, CHT. TPS, trigger points? Lots of stuff that could potentially cause a rich condition. Read that web page that Mueller posted a few times. You should be able to figure it out. If the car runs good now, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

lapuwali
If the problem comes back even with the "new" ECU, you might try looking for ground problems, and make sure all of the sensor connectors are clean and properly seated. Sometimes just unplugging and replugging in a connector that hasn't been touched in 20 years will clear up a problem.

Weber isn't gone, but there's been a long strike at the Spanish factory where the carbs are made. If you really want to try carbs (which I'd not recommend), you'll most likely have to buy used. Sets show up on Ebay all the time.
michel richard
It's never th ECU that's wrong on a 914. The Manifold Pressure Sensor, on the other hand, is often the culprit and will cause a rich condition in common failure modes.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.