Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Driving lights out oil cooler in?, Oil coolers in front for efficient cool air not hacking up the trunk
stugray
post Aug 9 2016, 02:22 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

What are your carb jets?
Do you have access to an AFR gauge?
Running lean can cause it to run hot.

Once you have hit 250 (for any extended period), you should plan on an oil change.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wes
post Aug 9 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #22

wes

Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

I bought this engine already built with about 1500 miles on it my knowledge or lack of knowledge is why I bought the engine complete and had it installed. I don't know anything about what the Jets are only that I have Webers 40. When I first got the car back the with the new engine it was very aggressive and burning way too much gas to me, you could smell the unburned gas even on my clothes so the guy at the shop determened that he should lean them down. I honestly like the way it power wise was when it was burning too much gas but lack of knowledge leaves me a bit dumb in reality.
I did do an oil change and went with a different oil.
+Quote Post
Dominic
post Aug 9 2016, 03:06 PM
Post #23

Dominic

Member No.: 149

Wes,
Have you looked at the cooling flaps and thermostat that controls the flaps? Are they installed/working? If your cooling system is all working properly there should be no overheating problems with a 2056. You can unbolt some tins and look for any obstructions near the oil cooler (like a rag that got sucked in there). Just some ideas before you add the oil cooler. Also make sure the openings on the bottom of each side of the aluminum cooling shroud are not blocked off. They should be connected to your heat exchangers if you have it all hooked up for heat. If they are blocked off you will create cooling problems...don't ask me how I know this ;-(

Hope you can find an easy fix for your problem.

Cheers,
Dominic
+Quote Post
wes
post Aug 9 2016, 03:19 PM
Post #24

wes

QUOTE(Dominic @ Aug 9 2016, 02:06 PM) *

Wes,
Have you looked at the cooling flaps and thermostat that controls the flaps? Are they installed/working? If your cooling system is all working properly there should be no overheating problems with a 2056. You can unbolt some tins and look for any obstructions near the oil cooler (like a rag that got sucked in there). Just some ideas before you add the oil cooler. Also make sure the openings on the bottom of each side of the aluminum cooling shroud are not blocked off. They should be connected to your heat exchangers if you have it all hooked up for heat. If they are blocked off you will create cooling problems...don't ask me how I know this ;-(

Hope you can find an easy fix for your problem.

Cheers,
Dominic

The flaps are on and flexible seem to be good to me and I checked the thermostat when I get back from Jeff's celebration after talking to Andy and others. I'll have to check for any blockage later when I get home.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Aug 9 2016, 03:39 PM
Post #25

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I used to get up there in oil temps too; the remote oil cooler was a marginal improvement. When I changed out the stock distributer for a Mallory Unilite, temps became very acceptable; plus, my motor stopped pinging on hills, and the acceleration through the range of rpms was better. Not an expert on any of this, but I've never approached 250 deg again and I recently drove from Arizona back to the coast with no elevated temps.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 9 2016, 03:58 PM
Post #26

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 9 2016, 02:39 PM) *

I used to get up there in oil temps too; the remote oil cooler was a marginal improvement. When I changed out the stock distributer for a Mallory Unilite, temps became very acceptable; plus, my motor stopped pinging on hills, and the acceleration through the range of rpms was better. Not an expert on any of this, but I've never approached 250 deg again and I recently drove from Arizona back to the coast with no elevated temps.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

That means your timing got corrected.

And we need to differentiate between temperatures. The stock car has only an oil temp gauge. Oil temp tends to run hotter under retarded timing, whereas head temps run hotter when too advanced.
+Quote Post
wes
post Aug 9 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #27

wes

Presently at my sons Cub Scout camp and leaving soon 2 hr drive home checking more once home. The flaps I spoke of checking was not what you mention so I'll check all then. Thanks everyone , just got to love the 914world such a great bunch of people! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 10 2016, 05:52 AM
Post #28

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I agree with a timing check

Cutting the center panel for a cooler is much easier than the fog light area for work and duct access
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 05:30 AM