Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ABSOLUTELY F***ING FURIOUS!!, Those sons-of-bitches took $517 from me
Lyressa Roberts
post Apr 12 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #1

Leo Imperial and Logan Apollo...my terrors.

Group: Members
Member No.: 741

I don't know if any of you remember this, but when Brad and I moved into that stinch of a place in Fremont, we had a go-around with that piece of shit landlord about the carpets not being cleaned. It took me threatening to call the health board on him before he got someone out to clean the animal piss off the floor and I was informed by the guy who came out to clean the carpets that they had not been cleaned before we moved in...but I dropped it because he finally gave in and had someone come out to spot clean it.

I spent over $500 getting that placed cleaned when we moved out last month and now he sends me what is left of my deposit less $517 for:

"Carpet cleaning that was done was unprofessional and required carpet cleaning = $256.00"
"Cleaning throughout, very dirty stove, kitchen cabinets, windows and window tracks, bathrooms, fan, etc. - $140.00"
"All mini blinds dirty throughout very dirty see photos - $121.00" of which no f**king photos were provided.

I'm downright shocked and so f**king furious I can't even see straight. Those carpets were cleaner than they were when we moved in. And the people who cleaned it were "suggested" by THEM!!!!

Ok, lawyers...I need help, I cannot and will not let this shit go by. Can someone help?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Apr 12 2005, 07:20 PM
Post #2

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

I vaguely remember a thread about you guys moving into the apartment (filthy carpets), was there any pictures, before and after, posted in that thread? Is there any way that the statements made in that thread about what was done to make it sanitary enough for human habitation that would be useful, or even admisable?
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Apr 12 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #3

I didn't take picture, no. But the guy who came out to spot clean them agreed that it was animal pee. What gets me is how can they do this when I provided them receipts to the cleaning and I used the people they suggested? I'm floored. Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised after what they did when we moved in. But they are supposed to have taken pictures before we moved in last year, or so they said.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 12 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #4

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Small claims...tenants rule there....file a suit and have the Sherrif serve him. Then give him the opportunity to come clean prior to court.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Apr 12 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You will probably need to take them to small claims court. You will need to have them properly served as well. Save all of your receipts for your costs for servicing them and any other costs. You can sue for those as well.

Make sure you have the agent of service for the landlord. The landlord might be incorporated, so they have a specific person.

Look up all of the details that you wrote when this happened when you moved in. You have a copy of your notes and dates in the original thread here. Use it as a part of your notes. Anything that you have that documents your side will help in small claims court.

Small claims works more like arbitration. Likely the judge will split the difference with you.

There are lots of places on the web to look this stuff up.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Apr 12 2005, 08:49 PM
Post #6

If I don't get a suitable response out of them tomorrow, I'll probably do the small claims court thing. I think it is completely unfair for them to take my receipts for the work I paid for and completely ignore it or go back to the people who did it without a single "by your leave" and then "say" they paid for it to be done again so that they could keep my deposit. This SOB is a thief, plain and simple. But then, he said the carpets were cleaned before we moved in and they weren't.
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Apr 12 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #7

Does anyone know what it costs to do small claims?
+Quote Post
smooth_eddy
post Apr 12 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,102

Hi Lyressa....

You failed to mention anything about the "walk through paperwork". Did you walk through with the landlord before moving in, noting the condition of the carpets in writing? And did you do a walk throught immediately after you moved out? Both parties should have signed the paperwork before the move in and after the move out. If this was not done it just becomes your word against his. I wish you luck and remember if you go to small claims court, the one with the largest pile of paper wins. Eddy
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 12 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #9

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Apr 12 2005, 07:02 PM)
Does anyone know what it costs to do small claims?

Depends on the County....10-100 bucks...but if you win, you get court costs back as well. Your County should have a website that explains it all.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 12 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #10

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

In Ohio it's only like $25 to file...could be more in CA.

I usually just have my attorney write a letter. That get's the job done 90% of the time. We did that last week for one of my employees who had a similar situation with carpets not being cleaned after a sewage leak.

I'm SURE there is an attorney here on the board somewhere that can write a 'nastygram' and get some results for you.
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Apr 12 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Apr 12 2005, 07:13 PM)
Hi Lyressa....

You failed to mention anything about the "walk through paperwork". Did you walk through with the landlord before moving in, noting the condition of the carpets in writing? And did you do a walk throught immediately after you moved out? Both parties should have signed the paperwork before the move in and after the move out. If this was not done it just becomes your word against his. I wish you luck and remember if you go to small claims court, the one with the largest pile of paper wins. Eddy

I couldn't get them to go out to the property. Literally, when you went to their office, they just gave you a key and sent you on your way. And when I accepted the property, they stated that a video tape was made of the premises prior to move in and that was it.

Yep, it looks like I may have screwed myself again where this bastard is concerned.
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Apr 12 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (CptTripps @ Apr 12 2005, 07:16 PM)
In Ohio it's only like $25 to file...could be more in CA.

I usually just have my attorney write a letter. That get's the job done 90% of the time. We did that last week for one of my employees who had a similar situation with carpets not being cleaned after a sewage leak.

I'm SURE there is an attorney here on the board somewhere that can write a 'nastygram' and get some results for you.

You know, that might be all it would take with this guy. Would there be a lawyer here willing to take the cost of a stamp and paper to write a letter for me?
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 12 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #13

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 12 2005, 05:32 PM)
Small claims...tenants rule there....file a suit and have the Sherrif serve him. Then give him the opportunity to come clean prior to court.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) tenants rule!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 13 2005, 12:44 AM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Give me the address of the place. I'll make sure everyone going in and out of that place learns of these crooks. I dont recall the exit but I recall what the place looks like. I also need the name/number of the carpet guy and cleaning lady.

B
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Apr 13 2005, 02:19 AM
Post #15

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56

I hope you payed for the cleaning with a cheque when you had it done (proof that you payed for it). Go to the cleaners you hired and explain what's happened and ask them for a letter stating what and why they did the cleaning. A letter from you to them asking for the info might help. Also copies of the reciepts that you gave to the landlord.

Remember don't get mad get even. Ask the courts to award you interest on the money you spent at the same rate credit companys charge (18 -22% per annum).

Contact the current tenents and tell them what your going thru (the landlord probably does this to every tennent). Ask the current tennent if the carpets were recleaned and if the landlord took any pictures. Get a statement from them if possible.

$15 to sue in small claims court here......good luck
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Apr 13 2005, 06:11 AM
Post #16

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

Whoa...BTDT (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

Years ago I moved out of a rental into my first house. The landlord was an absolute A$$HOLE.

I got charged $9.00 for a light bulb. $100.00 to clean the mini-blinds, which I installed and left for them. Also $350.00 for painting. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

I called the jerk-off and explained to him that it was the law that he had to paint before another tenant moved in etcetera...blah...blah...blah. Three phone calls later and one threaten of a law suit I got all the money back. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

Landlords hate the threat of lawsuits.... they know that they usually lose in court.

Keep your head and make the threat.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 13 2005, 06:36 AM
Post #17

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Apr 12 2005, 05:26 PM)
I didn't take picture, no. But the guy who came out to spot clean them agreed that it was animal pee. What gets me is how can they do this when I provided them receipts to the cleaning and I used the people they suggested? I'm floored. Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised after what they did when we moved in. But they are supposed to have taken pictures before we moved in last year, or so they said.

I thought I remember Brad posting photos of your new place. Do a search from back around the time you moved in. I don't remember if they showed the spots or not. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Allan
post Apr 13 2005, 07:31 AM
Post #18

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

I was leaving a place after renting and knew the landlord was going to be a prick. I called a place called "Renter's Advocate" and for like 50 bucks they sent someone out on my last day to go over the place with me. When I moved out the landlord tried to screw me on my deposit as well with a bunch of little petty bullshit items. I sent them a copy of the inspection report from the agency I used and got the rest of my deposit back within a week.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 13 2005, 07:35 AM
Post #19

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

scam, scam, scam. $121 to dust the blinds? i mean, how dirty can they get? a complaint re "dirty window tracks"? if you had to make numerous calls when you moved in, doesn't your cell co store records of calls made? see their $517 raise and push the chips all in. they will muck their hand. DEMAND to see original tape! how do the local tenent laws read re normal wear and tear? there may be other complaints lodged against the leasing co/owners. i'm sure most folks will just give up and eat the damage deposit loss. go get em!! we need a pitbull smilie. i know b doesn't smoke and i don't imagine you do either, so that complaint is out the window.

k

k
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Apr 13 2005, 09:47 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 12 2005, 10:44 PM)
Give me the address of the place. I'll make sure everyone going in and out of that place learns of these crooks. I dont recall the exit but I recall what the place looks like. I also need the name/number of the carpet guy and cleaning lady.

B

Yep...I'm waiting on a call from them today. They don't open for another 15 minutes, but I plan on getting those numbers. I do have the number of the contractor and I'm thinking about calling him too. I'm just floored.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 02:55 PM