Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Garage Find 1972 East Coast
lvnzdrm
post Aug 30 2016, 07:19 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,452
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks for the links... I have been reading up on the FI .... I found a vacuum leak on the intake tube. Made the repair, started it up and runs smooth. I hope to take it for a spin in this weekend. Wish me luck and thanks for the help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Aug 30 2016, 07:34 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looks like a good candidate for preservation class at some local or regional PCA events...
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 30 2016, 07:50 PM
Post #43

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Aug 30 2016, 09:19 PM) *

Thanks for the links... I have been reading up on the FI .... I found a vacuum leak on the intake tube. Made the repair, started it up and runs smooth. I hope to take it for a spin in this weekend. Wish me luck and thanks for the help.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) beautiful find and great when a car comes out of hiding and is enjoyed again! hope to see it at an event some time in the future- not too late to join us in NC in 3 weeks for the okteenerfest !
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post Aug 30 2016, 08:33 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 15,967
Region Association: None

beautiful car & color & interior (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) way to go!
sorry if it's out of line but curious what a car like that sells for?

full disclosure & for reference: 2 years ago I found mine in the classifieds here, got it from a previously unknown seller, I paid $10,5000 -73 2.0 appearance/sport group car with ~180,000 miles and a salvage title(front end smack in the 80's but very well repaired -I can't find any evidence of it). 0 rust (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (ok very little rust) I'm the third owner and have all the service records from new and orig window sticker, complete tool kit & (other than the repair) it is all pretty much original

with knowledge here you'll have it running tip top in no time. enjoy!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
cjl
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 30 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #45

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 31 2016, 04:19 AM
Post #46

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Running very hot? Stored under a tarp? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I'd check carefully for evidence of Señor Rattón having made nest/s under your tins...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

She's a beaut btw (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
lvnzdrm
post Aug 31 2016, 11:40 AM
Post #47

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 30 2016, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Aug 30 2016, 09:19 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) beautiful find and great when a car comes out of hiding and is enjoyed again! hope to see it at an event some time in the future- not too late to join us in NC in 3 weeks for the okteenerfest !

I've debated on heading out .... Not sure it will ready for such a trip so quickly. Still working out the bugs.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 31 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #48

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 31 2016, 06:19 AM) *

Running very hot? Stored under a tarp? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I'd check carefully for evidence of Señor Rattón having made nest/s under your tins...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

She's a beaut btw (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Yup. Mouse nests are a real possibility.
Also, fuel pressure.
Also valves.
Also timing.

Zach
+Quote Post
lvnzdrm
post Sep 2 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #49

Getting ready for a day of rain in VA

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Wdunster
post Sep 2 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #50

Panel beater

Member No.: 17,469
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Sep 2 2016, 08:38 PM) *

Getting ready for a day of rain in VA

Common down for Okteenerfest!!!!! Still registering
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) don't be skeerd
+Quote Post
RickS
post Sep 4 2016, 08:46 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 5,880

One of my absolute favorite color combinations. What a perfect time capsule. Congrats on a tremendous score.

For overheating, you may want to check if the cold start bellows are functioning correctly. I am far from a mechanic, but saw that was an issue on a teener Ed worked on, on Wheeler Dealers.
+Quote Post
lvnzdrm
post Sep 4 2016, 03:51 PM
Post #52

Fixed the leaking fuel line, completed a 12 mile shake down drive. No fuel leaks and she drives great. Much better than my 71. Left turn signal doesn't work, checked the bulbs all ok. I suspect a bad connection in the switch when turning left it started to work. I also have the blinking brake lights on dash. It looks like the ebrake isn't hitting the switch. I've searched for a fix but do not see a thing for the early split lever. Car is so quiet and smooth.
+Quote Post
My 914
post Sep 4 2016, 08:30 PM
Post #53

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928

QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Sep 4 2016, 05:51 PM) *

Fixed the leaking fuel line, completed a 12 mile shake down drive. No fuel leaks and she drives great. Much better than my 71. Left turn signal doesn't work, checked the bulbs all ok. I suspect a bad connection in the switch when turning left it started to work. I also have the blinking brake lights on dash. It looks like the ebrake isn't hitting the switch. I've searched for a fix but do not see a thing for the early split lever. Car is so quiet and smooth.

Its nice. I like the green with the tan interior combo.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Sep 5 2016, 05:46 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

I have the early handbrake in my car.
When I release it I apply force on the rear of the handle to insure that the part that presses on the switch rotates down fully.
It's not ideal and you could never explain it to a new driver but I can always get the light to go out.
Check the brake pad clearance and the brake cable adjustment.
Sometimes the handles are weak or bent and miss the switch completely.
And of course the wire could be grounding somewhere.
+Quote Post
lvnzdrm
post Sep 5 2016, 04:44 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 5 2016, 03:46 AM) *

I have the early handbrake in my car.
When I release it I apply force on the rear of the handle to insure that the part that presses on the switch rotates down fully.
It's not ideal and you could never explain it to a new driver but I can always get the light to go out.
Check the brake pad clearance and the brake cable adjustment.
Sometimes the handles are weak or bent and miss the switch completely.
And of course the wire could be grounding somewhere.

Thanks for the info, it worked like a champ. My 71 doesn't have a switch in it yet (floor board repair). I pushed down on the rear half of the handle and the light went out. I understand why it would be hard to explain to a driver.

I drove another 12 miles today. There was a hesitation when turning.... I have to keep doing the shake down drives. Hoping to make a local car show in 2 weeks.

+Quote Post
9fourteen14
post Sep 5 2016, 07:52 PM
Post #56

PORSCHE LUVA

Member No.: 18,920

QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Aug 12 2016, 02:21 AM) *

I met a guy at a local Air Cooled VW Club meeting a few years back. He was an older guy who said he had a 914 in his garage and had never drove it. He asked for my contact info and if I ever worked on them. 2 years later I get a call from him asking if I could come look at the car. I grabbed a buddy and we headed over. When we arrived we saw several cars under tarps and I thought this thing was going to need a lot of work being an East Coast car. We we to a garage out back and there it was.... A 1972 local owned, zero rust car. He bought it from an estate sale 8 years ago. After chatting a bit I discovered he wanted to sell the car. After a little negotiating with house CEO and the pending Sale of my Mini S, I now own another 914. It felt like something out of American Pickers and I'm honored to have been able to buy this car. It has a re-spray but is very original with owners manual and tool pouch. I hope to bond with it this weekend and get it going. Any feedback or comments are appreciated.

Jon

WOW what a find. it looks pristene from here.... but you MUST tell us the real story.
have you gotten under it yet?

congrats I am jealous
+Quote Post
lvnzdrm
post Apr 14 2017, 03:42 PM
Post #57

I need some help with this 72, it quit running on me and I'm fighting gremlins. This what I have done so far:

Valve adjustment
Test and replace CHT
Test and repaired AAR
Replaced Vaccumm lines
Test and Passed MSP
Pertronix installed- after points drove me crazy
Triggers points Ohmed out cleaned and tested
Fuel pressure tested 30psi
Replaced fuel filter
Cleaned ground on center engine case
Attempted to set timing, car not making any power

Car starts when cold and idles fine, then starts to slowly die. Car makes no power. I can not get it to rev up. The goal is to drive it to Hershey in 7 days, my wife says I look like a kid with a broke big wheel. Any help is appreciated. If not sorted by end of weekend I'll have to work on plan B for Friday

Thanks in advance
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Apr 14 2017, 04:45 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 11,604

swap the coil it could be failing or alternator has packed up. sounds like your spark is breaking down.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Apr 14 2017, 05:00 PM
Post #59

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

Jon, based on symptoms described I would recommend carefully inspecting the wiring between the CHT and ECU for shorts. These harnesses get old and brittle, and your CHT may be new but if the connection is sketchy or plain shorted you will experience symptoms like what you have. Good luck. Gotta get it fixed for Hershey!
+Quote Post
lvnzdrm
post Apr 14 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #60

Swapped coil, no change. It will only run on starting fluid than shuts off. No fuel.... how do I test the pump running when the car fires? Vapor lock maybe???

All help is appreciated
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:51 PM