Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Garage Find 1972 East Coast
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
lvnzdrm
I met a guy at a local Air Cooled VW Club meeting a few years back. He was an older guy who said he had a 914 in his garage and had never drove it. He asked for my contact info and if I ever worked on them. 2 years later I get a call from him asking if I could come look at the car. I grabbed a buddy and we headed over. When we arrived we saw several cars under tarps and I thought this thing was going to need a lot of work being an East Coast car. We we to a garage out back and there it was.... A 1972 local owned, zero rust car. He bought it from an estate sale 8 years ago. After chatting a bit I discovered he wanted to sell the car. After a little negotiating with house CEO and the pending Sale of my Mini S, I now own another 914. It felt like something out of American Pickers and I'm honored to have been able to buy this car. It has a re-spray but is very original with owners manual and tool pouch. I hope to bond with it this weekend and get it going. Any feedback or comments are appreciated.

Jon
Cuda911
Very nice!!! Congrats!
SKL1
If it is actually zero or little rust, that is a great find! Love the steelies- looks like a time warp for sure!

Need more pix!!
poorsche914
drooley.gif Beautiful! Bring it to Okteenerfest happy11.gif

driving.gif
lvnzdrm
It was late getting home and my phone only allowed the one picture
lvnzdrm
Taking a ride to her new home.
orthobiz
I agree, steelies rule!

Paul
Big Len
Feedback= It's freakin' beautiful. Best of luck.

Need more pics.
jrblackbox
Great looking car!!
BeatNavy
And the East Coast crowd goes wild!!!

Nice score, and yet....you won't be able to lie awake at nights wondering where the rust worm is attacking your car while you sleep. That's most of the "fun" of owning a teener rolleyes.gif

Congrats.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Aug 12 2016, 01:44 AM) *

Wake me up.....I'm having this great dream.....about a perfect teener....just too beautiful! Oh, it's real? Wow! How many miles on the ODO? piratenanner.gif
GaroldShaffer
smilie_pokal.gif

Looks great!!! Enjoy
lvnzdrm
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Aug 12 2016, 03:58 AM) *

QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Aug 12 2016, 01:44 AM) *

Wake me up.....I'm having this great dream.....about a perfect teener....just too beautiful! Oh, it's real? Wow! How many miles on the ODO? piratenanner.gif

80882 milesClick to view attachment
Cairo94507
Wow - that is a great looking 914. You definitely won the lottery that day. Enjoy and please post a lot of pictures, you know the drill. smilie_pokal.gif
JmuRiz
WOW, what a great find!!!
mepstein
Looks like a new car
billh1963
WoW! aktion035.gif
poorsche914
And the cinnamon interior makes it 10x better aktion035.gif

IPB Image

driving.gif
scott_in_nh
Congrats! That thing is sweet!
I hope you paid out the ass for it so I can feel better about my eastern car laugh.gif
Coondog
QUOTE(Big Len @ Aug 12 2016, 03:19 AM) *

Feedback= It's freakin' beautiful. Best of luck.

agree.gif
scotty b
some guys dry.gif

Congrats on an outstanding looking car first.gif
914Next
wow. Congrats! piratenanner.gif Looks like a really nice find. Love the color and condition.
76-914
wub.gif
napasteve
Fantastic. Love the color and the wheels. A real time machine. What a great find. Cue the Led Zeppelin 1 music.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Looks like a keeper. You are indeed fortunate that these days you can still find a seemingly well cared for and preserved 914. I too love the exterior Irish Green with the not often seen interior trim color. thumb3d.gif I do hope you keep it OEM as its condition merits it.

Paul
iwanta914-6
<---- Jealous!
Shadowfax
Terrific looking car. aktion035.gif
Ian Stott
Really like the colour! Congrats on getting this teener, treat it right!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
lvnzdrm
I bought a battery this weekend to get things going. Found a small fuel leak and the pump, so I replaced them. Added fresh fuel and checked point gap and condition. Turned the key and she came to life. There is a surge/ high revving, which I am sure is from a vacuum leak. She got a bath, clay bar and a coat of wax. More to come
anderssj
Wholly shirts and pants! Was that Shek's car? Near the DQ off Rt-134 in south York County?

I think I drove that car back in JUL 2008 before he bought it . . . .

Click to view attachment

It was a time capsule.
Larmo63
It's funny how people say they love the steelies but NOBODY really runs them.

They look cool, but I would buy that nice set of baby burners for it that are for sale in the FS threads right now….
lvnzdrm
QUOTE(anderssj @ Aug 15 2016, 06:43 PM) *

Wholly shirts and pants! Was that Shek's car? Near the DQ off Rt-134 in south York County?

I think I drove that car back in JUL 2008 before he bought it . . . .

Click to view attachment

It was a time capsule.

That's the one!! Cool guy
anderssj
I checked the database entry I made back in 2008:

"Recent purchase by a VW guy I met (Shek) some years back--he got the 914 at an estate sale. Said he used to park next to this car sometimes at NASA over 20 years ago.

The car's been garaged for the better part of 12 years. I saw it last Sunday--it's like looking at/into a time machine.

Roughly 80K original miles, Irish green with tan interior and appearance group. Has the movable pass-side seat, original style (non-interial) seat belts, Sapphire radio, Michelin XZX tires on steel rimes with good caps. Had an early round screw-in heater control knob intead of the later angular, push-on type.
"

I loaned him a couple of books and manuals some years back--but it looks like he never got around to doing anything with the car.

Another picture from before the estate sale:

Click to view attachment

You did good! smilie_pokal.gif

BTW, Shek did some AMAZING custom work on Karmann Ghias back in the day (not sure if he's still involved in that or not).
mark04usa
Good looking car! I always love to see a 914 in original form, it just looks so right to me, especially with the steel wheels. Yes, I run steelies on my '70 914 shades.gif
lvnzdrm
QUOTE(anderssj @ Aug 15 2016, 07:02 PM) *

I checked the database entry I made back in 2008:

"Recent purchase by a VW guy I met (Shek) some years back--he got the 914 at an estate sale. Said he used to park next to this car sometimes at NASA over 20 years ago.

The car's been garaged for the better part of 12 years. I saw it last Sunday--it's like looking at/into a time machine.

Roughly 80K original miles, Irish green with tan interior and appearance group. Has the movable pass-side seat, original style (non-interial) seat belts, Sapphire radio, Michelin XZX tires on steel rimes with good caps. Had an early round screw-in heater control knob intead of the later angular, push-on type.
"

I loaned him a couple of books and manuals some years back--but it looks like he never got around to doing anything with the car.

Another picture from before the estate sale:

Click to view attachment

You did good! smilie_pokal.gif

BTW, Shek did some AMAZING custom work on Karmann Ghias back in the day (not sure if he's still involved in that or not).

I counted almost 35 VW's at his place. I'm not sure he works on them anymore. The car is amazing. Looks to be a 3 owner. Always here in Yorktown/ Newport News.
lvnzdrm
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Aug 15 2016, 07:09 PM) *

Good looking car! I always love to see a 914 in original form, it just looks so right to me, especially with the steel wheels. Yes, I run steelies on my '70 914 shades.gif

agree.gif
anderssj

[/quote]
Always here in Yorktown/ Newport News.
[/quote]

So you're here in the Y-town area too? You need to come by for a beer beerchug.gif
lvnzdrm
[quote name='anderssj' date='Aug 15 2016, 07:16 PM' post='2385600']
[/quote]
Always here in Yorktown/ Newport News.
[/quote]

So you're here in the Y-town area too? You need to come by for a beer beerchug.gif
[/quote]

I sent you a PM with my info
lvnzdrm
I'm new to the FI system... The car starts and idles at 3K rpm, after it warms up the idle comes down and it starts to surge. As the engine gets warmer it will slowly start to die then surge back up. The RPM goes to 3k then drops back down...The engine also gets very hot.... And pops and pings after I shut it off. Any thoughts on where to begin? Thanks in advance for the help.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Aug 28 2016, 08:12 PM) *

I'm new to the FI system... The car starts and idles at 3K rpm, after it warms up the idle comes down and it starts to surge. As the engine gets warmer it will slowly start to die then surge back up. The RPM goes to 3k then drops back down...The engine also gets very hot.... And pops and pings after I shut it off. Any thoughts on where to begin? Thanks in advance for the help.

Jon, I'm going to give you the obligatory link: http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm

And specific to idle: http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/idle.htm

If you're going to do your own work, you definitely need to learn about D-Jet, and that's about the best resource there is. You can figure it out, but there's a little bit of a learning curve particularly as you try to make up for years of maintenance that may or may not have been done. I like D-Jet personally, but there are a lot of variables in play, and if they haven't been serviced recently they're all suspect at some point.

My first guess would be that you're running lean, but that's just a guess at this point. You need to eliminate vacuum leaks and do some basic maintenance. I'd replace all the vacuum lines and perhaps have the injectors serviced. Then start looking to adjust valves and do the basic tune-up items (plugs, points, timing, fuel pressure, etc.).
lvnzdrm
Thanks for the links... I have been reading up on the FI .... I found a vacuum leak on the intake tube. Made the repair, started it up and runs smooth. I hope to take it for a spin in this weekend. Wish me luck and thanks for the help.
SKL1
Looks like a good candidate for preservation class at some local or regional PCA events...
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Aug 30 2016, 09:19 PM) *

Thanks for the links... I have been reading up on the FI .... I found a vacuum leak on the intake tube. Made the repair, started it up and runs smooth. I hope to take it for a spin in this weekend. Wish me luck and thanks for the help.

piratenanner.gif beautiful find and great when a car comes out of hiding and is enjoyed again! hope to see it at an event some time in the future- not too late to join us in NC in 3 weeks for the okteenerfest !
theleschyouknow
beautiful car & color & interior first.gif way to go!
sorry if it's out of line but curious what a car like that sells for?

full disclosure & for reference: 2 years ago I found mine in the classifieds here, got it from a previously unknown seller, I paid $10,5000 -73 2.0 appearance/sport group car with ~180,000 miles and a salvage title(front end smack in the 80's but very well repaired -I can't find any evidence of it). 0 rust lol-2.gif (ok very little rust) I'm the third owner and have all the service records from new and orig window sticker, complete tool kit & (other than the repair) it is all pretty much original

with knowledge here you'll have it running tip top in no time. enjoy!

beerchug.gif
cjl
EdwardBlume
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
Porschef
Running very hot? Stored under a tarp? idea.gif

I'd check carefully for evidence of Señor Rattón having made nest/s under your tins...
dry.gif

She's a beaut btw beerchug.gif
lvnzdrm
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 30 2016, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Aug 30 2016, 09:19 PM) *

piratenanner.gif beautiful find and great when a car comes out of hiding and is enjoyed again! hope to see it at an event some time in the future- not too late to join us in NC in 3 weeks for the okteenerfest !

I've debated on heading out .... Not sure it will ready for such a trip so quickly. Still working out the bugs.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 31 2016, 06:19 AM) *

Running very hot? Stored under a tarp? idea.gif

I'd check carefully for evidence of Señor Rattón having made nest/s under your tins...
dry.gif

She's a beaut btw beerchug.gif

Yup. Mouse nests are a real possibility.
Also, fuel pressure.
Also valves.
Also timing.

Zach
lvnzdrm
Getting ready for a day of rain in VA
Wdunster
QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Sep 2 2016, 08:38 PM) *

Getting ready for a day of rain in VA

Common down for Okteenerfest!!!!! Still registering
driving-girl.gif driving.gif don't be skeerd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.