Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> wheel bearing spacer when using 911 halfshafts
buck toenges
post Apr 13 2005, 10:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

I put in a really cool 4 speed 901 tranny that has a sportomatic pinion set and a lsd . It came with 911 half shafts and the big cv joints. The problem is I need a set of spacers for the bearings(?) so the nut doesn't bottom out and the hubs don't shimmy. Anybody got a source or part number for these spacers?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 13 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

OK. Let me see if I have this straight:

Early 911 4 bolt 2 pin CV joint through a early 911 5 lug hub (that fits our stock 914 wheel bearing ??

Is the above statement true ?

The stub axle the large CV uses fits the 911 hub without a spacer. I'm not quite sure what your issue is. It should all tighten up without issue. I use these same stub axles/drive flanges/axle assemblies in several race cars with 915's in them. It all bolts together without a spacer.

What does need a spacer: late 911 SC rear drive flanges in our stock 914 wheel bearing.

B
+Quote Post
davep
post Apr 13 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #3

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Would you not need a spacer on the tranny output flange since the 911 shafts are shorter?
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 13 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

We are up to 3 complete race seasons on rebuilt axles with no spacers. I used to spend the money.. then I realized that they are only .500 shorter. Split this between two CV's and they easily handle .250 apiece. I check them every time we pull the tranny. No signs of "scary" wear. 325hp 3.2 with a 915 and 12 inch wide slicks and Guard limited slip. I also found that Porsche had some output flanges that where different "lengths". Some of that .500 can be taken up with wider tranny output flanges.

B
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post Apr 14 2005, 11:51 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,388

Here is where I am at. I have a 901 tranny with the big output flanges using 6 10mm bolts. I need to get everything from the tranny out put flanges to 5 bolt hubs that have a bigger diameter where the stub axel fits into the hub. I can substitue those hubs with the smaller 914 hubs I have with the 5 bolt pattern if I need to. So what do you guys suggest and where can I get them? I am using a 3.2 and built up 4 speed 901 tranny.

Thanks, and may the force be with you...... My kids are starting to drive me nuts with their star wars fever.
Buck
+Quote Post
andys
post Apr 14 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 13 2005, 11:31 AM)
OK. Let me see if I have this straight:

Early 911 4 bolt 2 pin CV joint through a early 911 5 lug hub (that fits our stock 914 wheel bearing ??

Is the above statement true ?

The stub axle the large CV uses fits the 911 hub without a spacer. I'm not quite sure what your issue is. It should all tighten up without issue. I use these same stub axles/drive flanges/axle assemblies in several race cars with 915's in them. It all bolts together without a spacer.

What does need a spacer: late 911 SC rear drive flanges in our stock 914 wheel bearing.

B

Brad,

How much of a spacer, and are they available? I measured a difference of 2mm betwwen the early and late bearings.

Andy
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:09 AM