Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheel bearing spacer when using 911 halfshafts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
I put in a really cool 4 speed 901 tranny that has a sportomatic pinion set and a lsd . It came with 911 half shafts and the big cv joints. The problem is I need a set of spacers for the bearings(?) so the nut doesn't bottom out and the hubs don't shimmy. Anybody got a source or part number for these spacers?

wavey.gif wavey.gif wavey.gif
Brad Roberts
OK. Let me see if I have this straight:

Early 911 4 bolt 2 pin CV joint through a early 911 5 lug hub (that fits our stock 914 wheel bearing ??

Is the above statement true ?

The stub axle the large CV uses fits the 911 hub without a spacer. I'm not quite sure what your issue is. It should all tighten up without issue. I use these same stub axles/drive flanges/axle assemblies in several race cars with 915's in them. It all bolts together without a spacer.

What does need a spacer: late 911 SC rear drive flanges in our stock 914 wheel bearing.

B
davep
Would you not need a spacer on the tranny output flange since the 911 shafts are shorter?
Brad Roberts
We are up to 3 complete race seasons on rebuilt axles with no spacers. I used to spend the money.. then I realized that they are only .500 shorter. Split this between two CV's and they easily handle .250 apiece. I check them every time we pull the tranny. No signs of "scary" wear. 325hp 3.2 with a 915 and 12 inch wide slicks and Guard limited slip. I also found that Porsche had some output flanges that where different "lengths". Some of that .500 can be taken up with wider tranny output flanges.

B
buck toenges
Here is where I am at. I have a 901 tranny with the big output flanges using 6 10mm bolts. I need to get everything from the tranny out put flanges to 5 bolt hubs that have a bigger diameter where the stub axel fits into the hub. I can substitue those hubs with the smaller 914 hubs I have with the 5 bolt pattern if I need to. So what do you guys suggest and where can I get them? I am using a 3.2 and built up 4 speed 901 tranny.

Thanks, and may the force be with you...... My kids are starting to drive me nuts with their star wars fever.
Buck
andys
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 13 2005, 11:31 AM)
OK. Let me see if I have this straight:

Early 911 4 bolt 2 pin CV joint through a early 911 5 lug hub (that fits our stock 914 wheel bearing ??

Is the above statement true ?

The stub axle the large CV uses fits the 911 hub without a spacer. I'm not quite sure what your issue is. It should all tighten up without issue. I use these same stub axles/drive flanges/axle assemblies in several race cars with 915's in them. It all bolts together without a spacer.

What does need a spacer: late 911 SC rear drive flanges in our stock 914 wheel bearing.

B

Brad,

How much of a spacer, and are they available? I measured a difference of 2mm betwwen the early and late bearings.

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.