Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 hiding in neighbor's weedy barn yard, Well, I went to see it today.
oakdalecurtis
post Aug 19 2016, 09:34 AM
Post #41

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 19 2016, 08:24 AM) *

A number of years ago, I sold a really nice 914-4 and pooled funds for something very similar to this locally. It was a white 1970 914-6 in pretty decent shape. It also sat in a 'barn' so to speak. I got to know the guy a little, talked 914's for a few weeks. One day I swung by and helped him get the 914-6 running. He was probably in his 80's. I sort of earned his respect about the car. He asked if I wanted to buy it (duh). We worked a deal and timeline which I met. 11th hour before picking up the car he fell ill, but still around. His kids quickly jumped in and squished the car deal.

Never saw him or the 914-6 again.

One of the things that niffed me most about he experience was selling my 914-4 to help fund the 914-6. I haven't bothered to source funds again to get another 914-anything since. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Thanks Root, I won't make that mistake, selling mine to get the 6. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Aug 21 2016, 03:34 PM
Post #42

Oakdalecurtis

Ok, all of you in here convinced me to finally do it. I went to go see if I could lay eyes on a purported 914/6 barn find. I went by my neighbors place today in my 914 with cold drinks in the cooler. He wasn't busy and remembered me from my last visit a while back. We chatted a bit about his many projects (he has A LOT of old cars in different places). He mentioned his two 914's, a four and a six, so of course I asked if I could see them. He agreed and took me behind the barn to an area with tall weed/ grass. Both cars were up to their belt lines in vegetation, and were completely stripped of all parts and hardware to basically just tubs, with parts stacked up inside each one like cordwood. He said he was planning to rebuild them both when he retires in a few more years. I didn't even ask for a picture, as I would not want to even think about wanting to take on the kind of restoration job I was looking at. If he can get them back together some day, more power too him. Nice guy, but I think two more teeners are off the market. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 21 2016, 04:00 PM
Post #43

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

When it comes to a real 6 you wouldn't believe the kinds of wrecks that even California boys will take on.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
bretth
post Aug 21 2016, 05:17 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Many cars in various places sounds like none of them will ever get restored until after he dies and then are sold off in an estate sale when they are probably too rusty from exposure to the elements. Hopefully doesn't come to that.

Brett
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Aug 21 2016, 05:22 PM
Post #45

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

As someone in the classic car business once told me, ALL cars are for sale. The variable is who is selling it...you or your estate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Aug 21 2016, 05:27 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

alas, another unicorn, were you able to get the /6 vin number?
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Aug 21 2016, 05:55 PM
Post #47

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 21 2016, 04:27 PM) *

alas, another unicorn, were you able to get the /6 vin number?

No on the vin, I couldn't even get real close to it as the weeds had ownership. I did see a lot of rust, been in the weather for years. Hard to believe it could ever be brought back to life for what it would cost to do it.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Aug 21 2016, 06:51 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

It's about what it is....... and the price.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Aug 21 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 19,670

Sometimes things get lost in the weeds.
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Aug 21 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #50

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

Attached Image
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 21 2016, 06:00 PM) *

When it comes to a real 6 you wouldn't believe the kinds of wrecks that even California boys will take on.

Geez,
In temperate California,there may be rust 'blemishes'.In the north east,rust means actual holes,where steel once existed.
A cleanup around the cars with a gas weed-eater,a broom to fend off any spiders and snakes,will get you close.
Close enough to get a few pix,to make repair assessments of accurate size,acknowledged as large,<20K.
A six with a 914 ser# is a valuable commodity,even without the Webers.
Some good parts make the deal sweeter,a haul of the booty off to the shop to enumerate p#s.
An adventure in tracking the spoor of the elusive 914-6,in the foothills,on a sunny day.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
https://www.google.ca/search?q=914-6+for+sa...bEDAgUQ_AUIBigB

Attached Image

Multiply the number of years in the elements by the coefficient and get the resultant rust 'weight'.
What color were the '14s? I mean other than dirt and rust.
There are varmints living there,inside,under the lids,inside the chassis and engines too.

/
+Quote Post
post Aug 21 2016, 08:07 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

All good comments. But at the end of the day , you still have two questions to answer: will owner actually sell it- one year or 10 years from now. Also, do you have the time and really "budget " the fund this? I'm sure we all can fund most of these "project " cars...but if your married, sometimes you might be paying alimony.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Aug 22 2016, 02:42 AM
Post #52

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(396 @ Aug 21 2016, 07:07 PM) *

All good comments. But at the end of the day , you still have two questions to answer: will owner actually sell it- one year or 10 years from now. Also, do you have the time and really "budget " the fund this? I'm sure we all can fund most of these "project " cars...but if your married, sometimes you might be paying alimony.

First question: No, the owner said he wanted to restore it when he retired in a few years, thus he had no interest in selling now. Who knows what happens anywhere in ten years.
Second question: Looking at the disastrous condition of the car body stripped of all parts, the haphazard way it was stuffed with it's own parts inside, it's outside storage for years in tall weeds and all of it subject to the elements, and the overall terrible condition of all of the body and parts, I don't believe that it is salvageable any more at any kind of a realistic cost number. My opinion? It's done.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Aug 22 2016, 04:28 AM
Post #53

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

well....look at the prices of some /6 parts....I say they are not done :-)
Those parts stacked up in there might be worth more then you might think...
Nice that you were able to take a look. Me myself..I would have taken a weed-packed-0914 picture for sure, that is more unique to post than a normal 914 pic in this case.....
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 22 2016, 10:28 AM
Post #54

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2016, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 18 2016, 07:47 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 18 2016, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2016, 10:27 AM) *

Not me, I cannot even get a /4 cylinder car back on the road, can you imagine how much longer those extra 2 cylinders would add on to my project!

Mike,
I suspect a couple years after the twins are educated and married, you'll have a window of opportunity before little urchins start hanging at the house and calling you grandpa... Until then, you should forget about running cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Hold on, your name is Mueller and you have twins? That's funny, my last name is Mueller and I have twins (7.5 years old). This is probably why I don't own a 914 yet.

Yep, of course with these 2 I might have to sell the 914 to finance a better shotgun collection to scare off the boys!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-87-1443753822_thumb.jpg)

Here's my suggestion Mike. Everyday when I'm not working, I go to the range and shoot 100 rounds each through 3 different weapons. Hang some targets like these in the garage, and when the boys come over let them in through the garage... When they ask about the targets, just say "I love my wife and daughters..." And glare at them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Aug 22 2016, 10:55 AM
Post #55

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Aug 22 2016, 03:28 AM) *

Nice that you were able to take a look. Me myself..I would have taken a weed-packed-0914 picture for sure, that is more unique to post than a normal 914 pic in this case.....

I was reticent to take a picture because members in here mentioned that GPS data could be gleaned from a picture and I did not want to take any chance of causing a problem for this gentleman.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Aug 22 2016, 12:02 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I agree with much of the above and would add: Wear old clothing that is clean but worn thin at the tee shirt collar etc. And forget the manicure for a while prior to the visit. Drop anything that shines about you and don't grin or seem enthuistic or anything but bored when you see it. Also add to your list, a dollar marking pen to authenticate your cash on the spot. Lastly, dont tell hi where you live or his kid will come over and steal it back.......

Sidebar: I missed a 65 356SC no rust find in Baton Rouge many years ago because I had to go run to City National Bank to get the cash to close our handshake deal. The owner got to his neighbor a few minutes after I ran off to the bank and then helooked up a similar SC in this guy's Hemmings MN... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Poof. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 22 2016, 12:05 PM
Post #57

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 21 2016, 02:34 PM) *
Nice guy, but I think two more teeners are off the market. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

If it's a real /6, it's absolutely worth it to restore ...

They sell for close to $100k these days.
+Quote Post
914bub
post Aug 22 2016, 12:33 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 16,260

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 22 2016, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Aug 22 2016, 03:28 AM) *

I was reticent to take a picture because members in here mentioned that GPS data could be gleaned from a picture and I did not want to take any chance of causing a problem for this gentleman.

Curtis
Pop a few pix next time so you at least have a few for yourself. I know I warned you about GPS tracking on pictures. I don't even know how to figure it out but I know it can be done.

Having been into VW's since I was a kid, and being a member of "Thesamba.com" I can tell you some of the "split bus" crowd would do anything to swoop a deal out from someone else. I'd like to think its not like that here but ya never know.

I'm predicting about 6 years from now you'll own it. Your wife sounds very understanding, better start wearing long pants though,..... You'll need the deeper pockets!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 22 2016, 01:05 PM
Post #59

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(914bub @ Aug 22 2016, 11:33 AM) *
I know I warned you about GPS tracking on pictures. I don't even know how to figure it out but I know it can be done.

Simple, any newer device that is GPS enabled, like your phone, will add GPS coordinates into the meta data that is stored within the image itself.

So if you share that image, anyone who knows what they're doing can look up the Latitude/Longitude of where the pic was taken.

Most phones allow you to turn off GPS tracking for the camera.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914bub
post Aug 22 2016, 01:09 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 16,260

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 22 2016, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(914bub @ Aug 22 2016, 11:33 AM) *
I know I warned you about GPS tracking on pictures. I don't even know how to figure it out but I know it can be done.

Simple, any newer device that is GPS enabled, like your phone, will add GPS coordinates into the meta data that is stored within the image itself.

So if you share that image, anyone who knows what they're doing can look up the Latitude/Longitude of where the pic was taken.

Most phones allow you to turn off GPS tracking for the camera.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Right. I knew it could be done. I was also aware that you could turn it off, just don't know how.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 04:26 AM