Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 hiding in neighbor's weedy barn yard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
oakdalecurtis
I know that a neighbor has a 914-6 stored out in an agricultural type barn, but I have not actually seen the car and don't know it's condition....yet. I was thinking of stopping by and asking him if I can look at the car. If he let's me see it, is there any purpose in getting the car's VIN number, assuming he would allow that? Any other thoughts on my visit? WTF.gif
Frankvw
yes, another thought.....buy it if you get the chance?
Nice story...always cool that there are still 'barn-finds' out there.
Keep us updated !
trick-e
Bring your negotiating skills.
eyesright
QUOTE(trick-e @ Aug 18 2016, 03:19 AM) *

Bring your negotiating skills.

And cash....and a trailer....and an air tank...and a helper...and....but leave all that stuff a block away...oh! and a camera for 914world photos.
iwanta914-6
Yes yes yes!
EdwardBlume
Do it already aktion035.gif
Cairo94507
Please take lots of pictures of it in its unmolested state. It's nice to see them in the wild like that.
My 914
Who knows, if you ask him about looking at the car, he may ask if you have any interest in buying it.
914bub
Yes, get the VIN for the data base.
mbseto
Is this a trick question??
sb914
What his address!! hide.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(mbseto @ Aug 18 2016, 06:37 AM) *

Is this a trick question??

that is what I am thinking... wacko.gif

Yes to all accounts, otherwise when the barn burns to the ground or the guy croaks and his kids destroy the old VW it'll be too late! smile.gif
iwanta914-6
I agree with others that if you have the ability to do so, bring a fist full of cash and go there with the intention of buying it. If you do not have the ability to do so, see if he has any interest in selling it and someone here will most likely buy it.

(if it's not folding in half and he'll take less than $10K, PLEASE let me know via PM) wink.gif

Afterall, my name is "iwanta914-6"!!!
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 18 2016, 07:18 AM) *

I agree with others that if you have the ability to do so, bring a fist full of cash and go there with the intention of buying it. If you do not have the ability to do so, see if he has any interest in selling it and someone here will most likely buy it.

(if it's not folding in half and he'll take less than $10K, PLEASE let me know via PM) wink.gif

biggrin.gif. Yaaaa, you can add me and another 100 members to this list....pm me too.
Mueller
QUOTE(396 @ Aug 18 2016, 07:24 AM) *

biggrin.gif. Yaaaa, you can add me and another 100 members to this list....pm me too.

Not me, I cannot even get a /4 cylinder car back on the road, can you imagine how much longer those extra 2 cylinders would add on to my project!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2016, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Aug 18 2016, 07:24 AM) *

Not me, I cannot even get a /4 cylinder car back on the road, can you imagine how much longer those extra 2 cylinders would add on to my project!

Mike,
I suspect a couple years after the twins are educated and married, you'll have a window of opportunity before little urchins start hanging at the house and calling you grandpa... Until then, you should forget about running cars. lol-2.gif av-943.gif
ConeDodger
Seriously Curtis, first drive over there in your 914. Don't bring anything. Tell him you heard he had one and could you see it. I grew up on a farm and my dad did 15 hour days so don't be surprised if he says no, or not till the crop is in. If he lets you see it, ask what his plans are. If he plans to plow it under when it rusts to dust, make an offer...
JOEPROPER
Go there late in the afternoon... with a case of beer. Cold.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 18 2016, 09:37 AM) *

Mike,
I suspect a couple years after the twins are educated and married, you'll have a window of opportunity before little urchins start hanging at the house and calling you grandpa... Until then, you should forget about running cars. lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Hold on, your name is Mueller and you have twins? That's funny, my last name is Mueller and I have twins (7.5 years old). This is probably why I don't own a 914 yet.
green914
What are you waiting for? poke.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 18 2016, 07:47 AM) *

Mike,

Hold on, your name is Mueller and you have twins? That's funny, my last name is Mueller and I have twins (7.5 years old). This is probably why I don't own a 914 yet.

Yep, of course with these 2 I might have to sell the 914 to finance a better shotgun collection to scare off the boys!

IPB Image

rgalla9146
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 18 2016, 05:10 AM) *

I know that a neighbor has a 914-6 stored out in an agricultural type barn, but I have not actually seen the car and don't know it's condition....yet. I was thinking of stopping by and asking him if I can look at the car. If he let's me see it, is there any purpose in getting the car's VIN number, assuming he would allow that? Any other thoughts on my visit? WTF.gif

First mistake, mentioning it here.
Second mistake, hesitating....
KELTY360
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2016, 09:00 AM) *

Mike,

Yep, of course with these 2 I might have to sell the 914 to finance a better shotgun collection to scare off the boys!

You're in a heap of trouble. shades.gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2016, 11:00 AM) *

Mike,

Yeah, my twins are girls as well and thinking a shotgun will have to be purchased eventually. Just to sit at the dining room table cleaning it whenever a boy comes around!

I apologize for getting off topic, I just found it amusing that we are both Muellers and both have twin girls.
Mikey914
An ex girlfriend of mine's dad had a set of dog testicles in a jar in the closet. Told me that if I was late bring his daughter home He'd add to his collection.
JoeDees
In my experience, it's best to make a relationship with the guy before talking about buying. I like the idea of driving a 914 there and then just having a conversation about the car, your car, the weather, and all kinds of other stuff. Only after you've gauged his plans for the car should you ask about a potential sale. This method keeps the door open for a future sale if he's "not wanting to sell."
gandalf_025
I had a childhood friend that had a BIG Barn on what used to be a Dairy Farm.
I left my 6 and my wife's 911 in that barn for a number of years.
Knew the cars were still there when I got phone calls a few times a year from people wanting to buy them.
I'm sure they were all excited thinking the cars were forgotten about...
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 18 2016, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2016, 11:00 AM) *

Mike,

Yeah, my twins are girls as well and thinking a shotgun will have to be purchased eventually. Just to sit at the dining room table cleaning it whenever a boy comes around!

I apologize for getting off topic, I just found it amusing that we are both Muellers and both have twin girls.

When my beautiful daughter started dating, the "cleaning the gun technique", sometimes along with a sinister laugh, is what I used. It worked, I got her through it,now she's married with 3 grandsons. One more thing, I always tell Dad's with dating daughters that if she ever brings home a young man that you just can't abide by at all, approach the guy, put your arm around him and say out loud that "finally daughter, you brought me a young man that I like and can talk too and make friends with". If she thinks her dad likes the new guy, she'll get rid of him by next week! Trust me on this one...... chair.gif
Cracker
No. If you have to ask that question to a 914 forum you are not qualified to own one.

T
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 18 2016, 09:08 AM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 18 2016, 05:10 AM) *

First mistake, mentioning it here.
Second mistake, hesitating....

The car's been in there a long time, so hesitating won't make much difference. And mentioning it here, so what? Nobody but me and the owner knows where it is. piratenanner.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Aug 18 2016, 07:43 AM) *

Go there late in the afternoon... with a case of beer. Cold.

Thanks Joe, that's the best suggestion I've seen so far, will do it!
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Aug 18 2016, 01:31 PM) *

No. If you have to ask that question to a 914 forum you are not qualified to own one.

T

I'm not qualified to be married to my child bride of 39 years either, since she's worth at least 2 of me and that's probably still low. But married to her I am!
2mAn
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(2mAn @ Aug 18 2016, 03:21 PM) *

Whacha want pictures of?
Cracker
I can't help but agree with you...regarding your question, for real. Yes. If it does exist, I'd make casual contact - not foaming at the mouth. Beware though...I know others in the Bay area who'd jump on that opportunity. Good luck.

T

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 18 2016, 06:08 PM) *

T

I'm not qualified to be married to my child bride of 39 years either, since she's worth at least 2 of me and that's probably still low. But married to her I am!
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Aug 18 2016, 03:51 PM) *

I can't help but agree with you...regarding your question, for real. Yes. If it does exist, I'd make casual contact - not foaming at the mouth. Beware though...I know others in the Bay area who'd jump on that opportunity. Good luck.

T

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 18 2016, 06:08 PM) *

T

I'm still just trying to figure out what the members in here want pictures of? No mouth foaming eh, ok, I'll throttle it back if I can actually see it.
2mAn
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 18 2016, 03:29 PM) *

Whacha want pictures of?

pictures of a barn find 914-6 of course poke.gif
Cracker
Are you from Minnesota by any chance? Something eerily familiar within your posts, eh. Do you like gunns...sorry guns?

T

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 18 2016, 09:17 PM) *

I'm still just trying to figure out what the members in here want pictures of?

oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(2mAn @ Aug 18 2016, 06:25 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 18 2016, 03:29 PM) *

Whacha want pictures of?

pictures of a barn find 914-6 of course poke.gif

Haven't laid eyes on it yet, just know that it's in there.
Root_Werks
A number of years ago, I sold a really nice 914-4 and pooled funds for something very similar to this locally. It was a white 1970 914-6 in pretty decent shape. It also sat in a 'barn' so to speak. I got to know the guy a little, talked 914's for a few weeks. One day I swung by and helped him get the 914-6 running. He was probably in his 80's. I sort of earned his respect about the car. He asked if I wanted to buy it (duh). We worked a deal and timeline which I met. 11th hour before picking up the car he fell ill, but still around. His kids quickly jumped in and squished the car deal.

Never saw him or the 914-6 again.

One of the things that niffed me most about he experience was selling my 914-4 to help fund the 914-6. I haven't bothered to source funds again to get another 914-anything since. sad.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 19 2016, 08:24 AM) *

A number of years ago, I sold a really nice 914-4 and pooled funds for something very similar to this locally. It was a white 1970 914-6 in pretty decent shape. It also sat in a 'barn' so to speak. I got to know the guy a little, talked 914's for a few weeks. One day I swung by and helped him get the 914-6 running. He was probably in his 80's. I sort of earned his respect about the car. He asked if I wanted to buy it (duh). We worked a deal and timeline which I met. 11th hour before picking up the car he fell ill, but still around. His kids quickly jumped in and squished the car deal.

Never saw him or the 914-6 again.

One of the things that niffed me most about he experience was selling my 914-4 to help fund the 914-6. I haven't bothered to source funds again to get another 914-anything since. sad.gif

Thanks Root, I won't make that mistake, selling mine to get the 6. beerchug.gif
oakdalecurtis
Ok, all of you in here convinced me to finally do it. I went to go see if I could lay eyes on a purported 914/6 barn find. I went by my neighbors place today in my 914 with cold drinks in the cooler. He wasn't busy and remembered me from my last visit a while back. We chatted a bit about his many projects (he has A LOT of old cars in different places). He mentioned his two 914's, a four and a six, so of course I asked if I could see them. He agreed and took me behind the barn to an area with tall weed/ grass. Both cars were up to their belt lines in vegetation, and were completely stripped of all parts and hardware to basically just tubs, with parts stacked up inside each one like cordwood. He said he was planning to rebuild them both when he retires in a few more years. I didn't even ask for a picture, as I would not want to even think about wanting to take on the kind of restoration job I was looking at. If he can get them back together some day, more power too him. Nice guy, but I think two more teeners are off the market. sad.gif
Mark Henry
When it comes to a real 6 you wouldn't believe the kinds of wrecks that even California boys will take on.
shades.gif
bretth
Many cars in various places sounds like none of them will ever get restored until after he dies and then are sold off in an estate sale when they are probably too rusty from exposure to the elements. Hopefully doesn't come to that.

Brett
billh1963
As someone in the classic car business once told me, ALL cars are for sale. The variable is who is selling it...you or your estate smile.gif
injunmort
alas, another unicorn, were you able to get the /6 vin number?
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 21 2016, 04:27 PM) *

alas, another unicorn, were you able to get the /6 vin number?

No on the vin, I couldn't even get real close to it as the weeds had ownership. I did see a lot of rust, been in the weather for years. Hard to believe it could ever be brought back to life for what it would cost to do it.
rgalla9146
It's about what it is....... and the price.
Gunn1
Sometimes things get lost in the weeds.
veekry9
Click to view attachment
idea.gif
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 21 2016, 06:00 PM) *

When it comes to a real 6 you wouldn't believe the kinds of wrecks that even California boys will take on.
shades.gif

Geez,
In temperate California,there may be rust 'blemishes'.In the north east,rust means actual holes,where steel once existed.
A cleanup around the cars with a gas weed-eater,a broom to fend off any spiders and snakes,will get you close.
Close enough to get a few pix,to make repair assessments of accurate size,acknowledged as large,<20K.
A six with a 914 ser# is a valuable commodity,even without the Webers.
Some good parts make the deal sweeter,a haul of the booty off to the shop to enumerate p#s.
An adventure in tracking the spoor of the elusive 914-6,in the foothills,on a sunny day.
biggrin.gif
https://www.google.ca/search?q=914-6+for+sa...bEDAgUQ_AUIBigB

Click to view attachment

Multiply the number of years in the elements by the coefficient and get the resultant rust 'weight'.
What color were the '14s? I mean other than dirt and rust.
There are varmints living there,inside,under the lids,inside the chassis and engines too.

/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.