Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 hiding in neighbor's weedy barn yard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
All good comments. But at the end of the day , you still have two questions to answer: will owner actually sell it- one year or 10 years from now. Also, do you have the time and really "budget " the fund this? I'm sure we all can fund most of these "project " cars...but if your married, sometimes you might be paying alimony.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(396 @ Aug 21 2016, 07:07 PM) *

All good comments. But at the end of the day , you still have two questions to answer: will owner actually sell it- one year or 10 years from now. Also, do you have the time and really "budget " the fund this? I'm sure we all can fund most of these "project " cars...but if your married, sometimes you might be paying alimony.

First question: No, the owner said he wanted to restore it when he retired in a few years, thus he had no interest in selling now. Who knows what happens anywhere in ten years.
Second question: Looking at the disastrous condition of the car body stripped of all parts, the haphazard way it was stuffed with it's own parts inside, it's outside storage for years in tall weeds and all of it subject to the elements, and the overall terrible condition of all of the body and parts, I don't believe that it is salvageable any more at any kind of a realistic cost number. My opinion? It's done.
Frankvw
well....look at the prices of some /6 parts....I say they are not done :-)
Those parts stacked up in there might be worth more then you might think...
Nice that you were able to take a look. Me myself..I would have taken a weed-packed-0914 picture for sure, that is more unique to post than a normal 914 pic in this case.....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2016, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 18 2016, 07:47 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 18 2016, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2016, 10:27 AM) *

Not me, I cannot even get a /4 cylinder car back on the road, can you imagine how much longer those extra 2 cylinders would add on to my project!

Mike,
I suspect a couple years after the twins are educated and married, you'll have a window of opportunity before little urchins start hanging at the house and calling you grandpa... Until then, you should forget about running cars. lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Hold on, your name is Mueller and you have twins? That's funny, my last name is Mueller and I have twins (7.5 years old). This is probably why I don't own a 914 yet.

Yep, of course with these 2 I might have to sell the 914 to finance a better shotgun collection to scare off the boys!

IPB Image

Here's my suggestion Mike. Everyday when I'm not working, I go to the range and shoot 100 rounds each through 3 different weapons. Hang some targets like these in the garage, and when the boys come over let them in through the garage... When they ask about the targets, just say "I love my wife and daughters..." And glare at them. w00t.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Aug 22 2016, 03:28 AM) *

Nice that you were able to take a look. Me myself..I would have taken a weed-packed-0914 picture for sure, that is more unique to post than a normal 914 pic in this case.....

I was reticent to take a picture because members in here mentioned that GPS data could be gleaned from a picture and I did not want to take any chance of causing a problem for this gentleman.
forrestkhaag
I agree with much of the above and would add: Wear old clothing that is clean but worn thin at the tee shirt collar etc. And forget the manicure for a while prior to the visit. Drop anything that shines about you and don't grin or seem enthuistic or anything but bored when you see it. Also add to your list, a dollar marking pen to authenticate your cash on the spot. Lastly, dont tell hi where you live or his kid will come over and steal it back.......

Sidebar: I missed a 65 356SC no rust find in Baton Rouge many years ago because I had to go run to City National Bank to get the cash to close our handshake deal. The owner got to his neighbor a few minutes after I ran off to the bank and then helooked up a similar SC in this guy's Hemmings MN... WTF.gif Poof. hissyfit.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 21 2016, 02:34 PM) *
Nice guy, but I think two more teeners are off the market. sad.gif

If it's a real /6, it's absolutely worth it to restore ...

They sell for close to $100k these days.
shades.gif
914bub
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 22 2016, 09:55 AM) *

I was reticent to take a picture because members in here mentioned that GPS data could be gleaned from a picture and I did not want to take any chance of causing a problem for this gentleman.

Curtis
Pop a few pix next time so you at least have a few for yourself. I know I warned you about GPS tracking on pictures. I don't even know how to figure it out but I know it can be done.

Having been into VW's since I was a kid, and being a member of "Thesamba.com" I can tell you some of the "split bus" crowd would do anything to swoop a deal out from someone else. I'd like to think its not like that here but ya never know.

I'm predicting about 6 years from now you'll own it. Your wife sounds very understanding, better start wearing long pants though,..... You'll need the deeper pockets!
SirAndy
QUOTE(914bub @ Aug 22 2016, 11:33 AM) *
I know I warned you about GPS tracking on pictures. I don't even know how to figure it out but I know it can be done.

Simple, any newer device that is GPS enabled, like your phone, will add GPS coordinates into the meta data that is stored within the image itself.

So if you share that image, anyone who knows what they're doing can look up the Latitude/Longitude of where the pic was taken.

Most phones allow you to turn off GPS tracking for the camera.
smile.gif
914bub
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 22 2016, 12:05 PM) *

I know I warned you about GPS tracking on pictures. I don't even know how to figure it out but I know it can be done.

Simple, any newer device that is GPS enabled, like your phone, will add GPS coordinates into the meta data that is stored within the image itself.

So if you share that image, anyone who knows what they're doing can look up the Latitude/Longitude of where the pic was taken.

smile.gif

Right. I knew it could be done. I was also aware that you could turn it off, just don't know how.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 22 2016, 03:05 PM) *

smile.gif

Or just buy a cheap used digi camera, you can pick them up now for like $20. No GPS.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914bub @ Aug 22 2016, 12:09 PM) *
I was also aware that you could turn it off, just don't how.

If your camera doesn't give you that option, you can always turn off GPS (Often called "Location"), before taking pictures.

At least on my phone, that prevents any GPS data from being added to the images.
smile.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 22 2016, 12:13 PM) *

If your camera doesn't give you that option, you can always turn off GPS (Often called "Location"), before taking pictures.

At least on my phone, that prevents any GPS data from being added to the images.
smile.gif

Thanks for that info Andy, I did not know that and it may come in useful sometime! aktion035.gif
Mark Henry

Not me, I cannot even get a /4 cylinder car back on the road, can you imagine how much longer those extra 2 cylinders would add on to my project!

Mike,
I suspect a couple years after the twins are educated and married, you'll have a window of opportunity before little urchins start hanging at the house and calling you grandpa... Until then, you should forget about running cars. lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Hold on, your name is Mueller and you have twins? That's funny, my last name is Mueller and I have twins (7.5 years old). This is probably why I don't own a 914 yet.

Yep, of course with these 2 I might have to sell the 914 to finance a better shotgun collection to scare off the boys!

IPB Image

blink.gif Crap Mike they grow up fast!
You got a couple of real cuties there...I feel sorry for you, in a few years the teen boys will be sniffing around your house like coyotes. biggrin.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 22 2016, 12:19 PM) *

Mike,

IPB Image

blink.gif Crap Mike they grow up fast!
You got a couple of real cuties there...I feel sorry for you, in a few years the teen boys will be sniffing around your house like coyotes. biggrin.gif

Quick tip from a dad that got her daughter through her teenage years without going to jail for manslaughter. If your daughter ever comes home with a kid you can't stand at first sight, go put your arm around him and say to her "Finally honey, a young man I really like and can talk with and get to know better". Trust me on this, if dad likes her boyfriend, she'll dump him by the end of the week. cheer.gif
oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 22 2016, 09:55 AM) *

Curtis
Pop a few pix next time so you at least have a few for yourself. I know I warned you about GPS tracking on pictures. I don't even know how to figure it out but I know it can be done.

Having been into VW's since I was a kid, and being a member of "Thesamba.com" I can tell you some of the "split bus" crowd would do anything to swoop a deal out from someone else. I'd like to think its not like that here but ya never know.

I'm predicting about 6 years from now you'll own it. Your wife sounds very understanding, better start wearing long pants though,..... You'll need the deeper pockets!

Hey Eric, I made a deal with my child bride of 39 years along time ago. I earn it, she spends it, working so far..... cheer.gif
Tbrown4x4
Hey! I didn't know that was negotiable. I just thought that's how it worked. sad.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Aug 22 2016, 01:19 PM) *

Hey! I didn't know that was negotiable. I just thought that's how it worked. sad.gif

My dad taught me the EVERYTHING is negotiable. Just have to know the way in...
wobbletop
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 22 2016, 02:13 PM) *

smile.gif

Or just take a screen grab of the picture and share that. Nothing gets shared then.
oakdalecurtis
I'm sorry to disappoint, but I've seen enough, no reason to go back and bother the guy. If the opportunity should present somehow........
TheCabinetmaker
I get asked weekly if i want to sell my car. I always say no, but if i see enough cash i might think about it. Jus saying....
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 22 2016, 02:22 PM) *

I get asked weekly if i want to sell my car. I always say no, but if i see enough cash i might think about it. Jus saying....

I've had my 914 for almost 20 years, clean yellow 76 driver. I get a lot of comments, "nice ride", "cool car", thumps up, but NEVER had anyone ask if I would sell it. Am I doing something wrong? chair.gif
porschetub
Keep scrolling no picture ...I feel tired off to bed av-943.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 22 2016, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 22 2016, 02:22 PM) *

I've had my 914 for almost 20 years, clean yellow 76 driver. I get a lot of comments, "nice ride", "cool car", thumps up, but NEVER had anyone ask if I would sell it. Am I doing something wrong? chair.gif

It's yellow, Curt's is red. Yellow might be faster but everyone loves a red 914.
My 914
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 22 2016, 04:08 PM) *

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I've seen enough, no reason to go back and bother the guy. If the opportunity should present somehow........

there's always opportunity, as long as the seller or would be seller knows you're interested. If you've made that obvious, you,ve done all you can at the moment. time will tell....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.