Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Collecting VIN numbers, why some like it :), Not sure why those that don't, don't ....
Mueller
post Aug 19 2016, 10:05 AM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Just wanted to start a separate thread on this subject.

A car pops up for sale or is seen at a show and many times in the thread the subject comes up about whether or not the person grabbed* the VIN?

Many posters will be like the idea of seeing if the VIN is in the database, others get bent about it as if it is a violation of ones personal space.

Being these cars are getting more rare everyday I think it's a good thing to document these numbers.

Sooner or later we are going to see duplicate VINs or a rare car pop up for sale that is a known totaled or destroyed car.

*as if stealing a soul, hahaha

If you think this is odd, I have a Curta calculator that is in a database that I have no problem with my calculator being a part of.

http://www.curtamania.com/curta/code/type_..._your_curta.php

No. 516139 if you want to see it.

Back to the VIN, I cannot find a single thing where someone was injured, killed or robbed due to someone having access to a VIN number. There is way more information to get found from a license plate.

^edit, did something on snopes which has some credibility

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

Still for a 40 year old car I don't see getting a copy of someones key that easy at the Porsche dealership.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 26)
larryM
post Aug 21 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #21

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

good thread - thanks MIke

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 19 2016, 09:05 AM) *

Sooner or later we are going to see duplicate VINs or a rare car pop up for sale that is a known totaled or destroyed car.

exactly - we can buy fresh vin plates from Stoddard, we can get fresh made to order windshield tags from certain euro producers on ebay

we can also now buy almost every part needed to reproduce a "471" GT;

when a so-called "-6" or "GT" comes up at sale or auction, the VIN instantly tells me if "it is real"; if the seller does not publish the VIN, i am immediately suspicious it's a conversion of some sort - it's about "transparency"

I keep a personal -6 & conversions vin list with photos as i can find them mostly for purposes of tracking sales & value, partly to track modifications;

fwiw - 2 rusted out from bottom "real six" junkers that passed thru my hands have "reappeared" on solid shells - one as a "GT"

maybe one day we'll be able to buy newly minted full body shells again - just like we can with "heritage MGBs"

+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Aug 21 2016, 12:29 PM
Post #22

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(2mAn @ Aug 19 2016, 07:06 PM) *

I dont think anyone will be trespassing on peoples properties just to get a VIN off another 914.

This is why the VIN topic is posted once again. A member did that, took a bunch of pics, and posted one that showed the house address with the statement "might be for sale I will let you know if the owner ever contacts me."

Personally I like the VIN database and I've put all the cars I've owned in there. But, I feel if a car is seen in the wild a note inviting the owner to World and encouraging them to add to the database is more appropriate than rushing to do it yourself for a pat on the back.

The database is more of a census than anything else. Very few people here know my last name or address (mostly tshirt sellers) so there is no concerns. Posting a $5k stereo build on CarDomain is a different story.
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Aug 21 2016, 12:54 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Most of us have seen so many 914 VINs that we don't need a camera to remember it. Lol.
+Quote Post
larryM
post Sep 11 2016, 09:38 PM
Post #24

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

here is another reason I keep my own list

ya never know when a car with covered up damage like this will show up as a "restored 100 pointer" for six figures ask

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=293995

i got a long list of these, with o.p. posted pics

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 12 2016, 04:54 AM
Post #25

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(larryM @ Sep 11 2016, 11:38 PM) *

ya never know when a car with covered up damage like this will show up as a "restored 100 pointer" for six figures ask

Dion's car? Really? Don't even begin to lump him into the scammer pile. He found a poorly done repair while he was working on his 6 conversion.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 12 2016, 07:24 AM
Post #26

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Like your IQ..... it's just a number. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Dion
post Sep 12 2016, 09:04 AM
Post #27

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 12 2016, 02:54 AM) *

QUOTE(larryM @ Sep 11 2016, 11:38 PM) *

Dion's car? Really? Don't even begin to lump him into the scammer pile. He found a poorly done repair while he was working on his 6 conversion.

Thanks Mark. Just reading this. LarryM please get your facts straight before posting
erroneous crap. Cheers
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 11:48 AM