Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Testing the FI Control Unit
JPA914
post Aug 19 2016, 12:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,905
Region Association: Southwest Region

Does anybody offer this service? I've replaced/checked a LOT of ignition, fuel system, and FI components on my '74 2.0 and my engine is still running really rough. I know these don't fail often, but I really would like to rule it out.

BTW, please don't make me rehash every little thing I've replaced in trying to fix this problem. I'm asking a very specific question here. The title of this thread is not "What's wrong with my Djet?" or "What can I try next?" Thank you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 19 2016, 01:44 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Member Jeff Bowlsby does them I think,have you done a basic continuity test on the loom? ,this will rule out any broken wires inside it.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 19 2016, 03:07 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

I'm not sure that Jeff does anything with the ECU's, but he does do rebuilt engine bay harnesses & the relay boards.

Fuel Injection Corp. does do rebuilds/core-swap of the ECU, & has done them under a predecssor company originally down in the LA/South Bay area since the `70's (I had one of theirs doen back in the late 70's or early 80's).

Try contacting them here:

https://www.fuelinjectioncorp.com/

Also FYI - here's Jeff's link for harnesses etc. here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/

Between a chat with Jeff & the FIC folks, you should be able to scope it down.

Also, if someone else on here has the Anders EFI troubleshooting site link, please post it for the OP, since my bookmarks were lost & I don't have time to hunt for it now. Jeff may have a link to it on his website too, or PM him for it.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Aug 20 2016, 01:05 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(JPA914 @ Aug 19 2016, 02:28 PM) *

Does anybody offer this service? I've replaced/checked a LOT of ignition, fuel system, and FI components on my '74 2.0 and my engine is still running really rough. I know these don't fail often, but I really would like to rule it out.

BTW, please don't make me rehash every little thing I've replaced in trying to fix this problem. I'm asking a very specific question here. The title of this thread is not "What's wrong with my Djet?" or "What can I try next?" Thank you.

If you want to verify your ECU, try swapping it for someone's known good unit. While I'm sure someone (perhaps Jeff Bowlsby, not sure) could test it, it seems very unlikely that an ECU would cause a rough running condition. Without knowing the condition of your engine mechanically, the condition of your wiring, and what things you've swapped or replaced...your issue could be caused by many things. Here's the link to Anders D Jet site in case you've not seen it....http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm
+Quote Post
JPA914
post Aug 21 2016, 07:48 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,905
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thanks for all the replies. I tried contacting Jeff on his website and by PM but he didn't respond so I assume he doesn't offer this service. I'm familiar with the Anders site and have used it extensively in my troubleshooting. Great resource!

I think I'm just going to have to take this car in to a shop. I can check for continuity on the harness, as this is about the only thing I haven't tried. But all the insulation is still pliable and in good shape so I really doubt that is the problem.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 11:10 AM