Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Main targa top seal install advice
carcus
post Aug 21 2016, 01:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,760
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Got the most expensive of the targa top seals. The sides of the targa were easy...now got the main one from 914 rubber. This is the U shaped one that goes on top of the windshield frame and to the inner doors. The OEM one I have is so rotted I am going to have to scrape and work it off. Anyone have some tips to doing the install with the new replacement part correct the first time? Should I use some RTV silicone under the rubber gasket? I have replaced all the worn rubber gaskets so far but this one I want to make sure I do not have to buy again if I mess it up. Also after seeing the front trunk channel where the previous owner put the seal on wrong....I am afraid to see what is under the rotted seal. Thanks all!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 21 2016, 04:23 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

No rtv!
If there's not already a thread on this site, I'm sure Mikey/Mark can do a quick write up. I'm guessing lubricants will be your friend.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 21 2016, 12:31 PM
Post #3

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Do the sides 1st. The take the center and install in th middle working the way out to the ends. It should be tight, but not need anything else to hold it on. If it's a little too tight yo can take a big flat screwdriver and open up about an inch or so to get it started. If you need to lubricate, a little soapy water or glycerin will work.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Aug 21 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Another tip: Installing that seal was tough on my thumbs trying to press in the top horizontal section. Then I used the side of a fat sharpie to push in the seal, and it worked much better than my thumbs. Lots of dish soap too. I used a small paint brush to keep paint the soap into the seal groove, to keep the mess factor down.
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Aug 21 2016, 01:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,469
Region Association: None

I gave up and had McMark install mine. It was very humbling how quickly he installed it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 04:02 AM