Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Main targa top seal install advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
Got the most expensive of the targa top seals. The sides of the targa were easy...now got the main one from 914 rubber. This is the U shaped one that goes on top of the windshield frame and to the inner doors. The OEM one I have is so rotted I am going to have to scrape and work it off. Anyone have some tips to doing the install with the new replacement part correct the first time? Should I use some RTV silicone under the rubber gasket? I have replaced all the worn rubber gaskets so far but this one I want to make sure I do not have to buy again if I mess it up. Also after seeing the front trunk channel where the previous owner put the seal on wrong....I am afraid to see what is under the rotted seal. Thanks all!!!
mepstein
No rtv!
If there's not already a thread on this site, I'm sure Mikey/Mark can do a quick write up. I'm guessing lubricants will be your friend.
Mikey914
Do the sides 1st. The take the center and install in th middle working the way out to the ends. It should be tight, but not need anything else to hold it on. If it's a little too tight yo can take a big flat screwdriver and open up about an inch or so to get it started. If you need to lubricate, a little soapy water or glycerin will work.
Cuda911
Another tip: Installing that seal was tough on my thumbs trying to press in the top horizontal section. Then I used the side of a fat sharpie to push in the seal, and it worked much better than my thumbs. Lots of dish soap too. I used a small paint brush to keep paint the soap into the seal groove, to keep the mess factor down.
Harpo
I gave up and had McMark install mine. It was very humbling how quickly he installed it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.