Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Has anyone installed a universal chassis harness?
ejharris
post Aug 24 2016, 06:42 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,333
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 23 2016, 01:14 PM) *

I don't see any problem with using a universal harness kit. Most people seem to be against them because of the hack installs; there are tons of excellent installs as you noted. :)

The biggest thing is getting a timer relay to move the headlight motors which shouldn't be too hard (caveat: I've never looked for an automotive one but industrial ones are pretty easy to find).

I'm planning on rewiring my car using an InfinityWire kit because I got a great deal on a used one. It'll be a little easier since the headlight motor timing can just be added to the control logic.

http://infinitybox.com/

Guys, send us the specifics of what you'd need in a configuration for a 914. You can email that to sales@infinitybox.com. We have a standard configuration that is designed for rear/mid-engine cars. You can see that here. We can easily create a 914 configuration.

Jay Harris
Infinitybox

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 24 2016, 06:57 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,426
Region Association: Southwest Region

I will try to address everyone here...

Chris914n6- So why the all or nothing approach? I don't want to do anymore patch work.

SixerJ- kroon wire is too much$$$ And as Jeff said the stock wiring has 170 circuits, way way way too much junk wiring. I just want basic functions and the peace of mind that my car wont turn into a fireball.

Mike Bellis- I see what you mean. I would probably get rid of all the junk on the column and use a toggle switch for signals like renegade did with the 914 v8 6 speed car they built. I think renegade used an aftermarket harness in that car as well, hence the pop up headlight were deleted. I would like to keep the pop up lights, maybe rig up a GT manual set up.

matthepcat- Thank you for posting this honda car. I am curious why the car is stated to not have working headlights. I would like to find out why this owner decided no to try to make them function.

Cory M-I saw on samba various cars and buses that were wired just like you said. I would like to get rid of all the porsche switches in the electrical system.

Downunderman- That blue wire kit looks really nice to me. Looks like the most complete kit I have seen for sale as far as universal parts go.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 24 2016, 07:05 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Not exactly answering directly what you're asking but...

I ditched me harness last year during my build; there is not a single redeemable quality any 45+ year-old electrical harness can offer. I chose to have mine built from scratch as opposed to using an off-the-shelf universal kit.

The upside is I have near flawless system that is personalized to my need. I also have not had a single issue with any electrical component. I designed the circuitry/schematic and layout around my car (mostly a race car) and wouldn't have done it any other way if I were ever crazy enough to do this (once) again!

You can do it...

Tony
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 24 2016, 07:14 AM
Post #24

QUOTE(ejharris @ Aug 24 2016, 07:42 AM) *

I don't see any problem with using a universal harness kit. Most people seem to be against them because of the hack installs; there are tons of excellent installs as you noted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The biggest thing is getting a timer relay to move the headlight motors which shouldn't be too hard (caveat: I've never looked for an automotive one but industrial ones are pretty easy to find).

I'm planning on rewiring my car using an InfinityWire kit because I got a great deal on a used one. It'll be a little easier since the headlight motor timing can just be added to the control logic.

Guys, send us the specifics of what you'd need in a configuration for a 914. You can email that to sales@infinitybox.com. We have a standard configuration that is designed for rear/mid-engine cars. You can see that here. We can easily create a 914 configuration.

Jay Harris
Infinitybox

OK infinitybox just got a big +++ from me. Now I'm even more tempted to go that direction. I always think it is really cool when a large company joins a forum to try to help guys like us out. That is really cool Jay, thanks.

Tony, got any build pics of your wiring? Really interested in seeing that.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Aug 24 2016, 07:36 AM
Post #25

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Aug 24 2016, 08:14 AM) *

QUOTE(ejharris @ Aug 24 2016, 07:42 AM) *

I don't see any problem with using a universal harness kit. Most people seem to be against them because of the hack installs; there are tons of excellent installs as you noted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Jay Harris
Infinitybox

OK infinitybox just got a big +++ from me. Now I'm even more tempted to go that direction. I always think it is really cool when a large company joins a forum to try to help guys like us out. That is really cool Jay, thanks.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) While I work really slowly and haven't gotten to the install point, I have asked Jay a ton of questions through their website and he's always answered very promptly and been very helpful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The components look well built and feel very high quality as well.
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 24 2016, 10:52 AM
Post #26

Reading up on the infinity box. Very cool stuff but the $$$ may be a bit big for my purposes. If I had a fuel injected ls1 v8 and a pile of cash I would be all in.

A fellow 914 owner PM'd me about his set up and he did use a universal style harness and got the head lights to pop up correctly too. I am gathering info and will post what I find.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 24 2016, 11:03 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Aug 24 2016, 09:14 AM) *

Not your solution...just another approach. Here you go Zach.

Tony

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 24 2016, 11:10 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 24 2016, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Aug 24 2016, 09:14 AM) *

Not your solution...just another approach. Here you go Zach.

Wow Tony, that is seriously spectacular work. Truly stunning craftsmanship. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) That's what I want!!!! Did you by chance build 2 of everything? lol
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Aug 24 2016, 12:25 PM
Post #29

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

I suggest reaching out to fasthonda to get more details on his 8 circuit harness:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=1544

He is still active here and I suspect he did not integrate the headlights because it was built to be a track car.

Good luck,

Matt

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Aug 24 2016, 05:57 AM) *

I will try to address everyone here...

Chris914n6- So why the all or nothing approach? I don't want to do anymore patch work.

SixerJ- kroon wire is too much$$$ And as Jeff said the stock wiring has 170 circuits, way way way too much junk wiring. I just want basic functions and the peace of mind that my car wont turn into a fireball.

Mike Bellis- I see what you mean. I would probably get rid of all the junk on the column and use a toggle switch for signals like renegade did with the 914 v8 6 speed car they built. I think renegade used an aftermarket harness in that car as well, hence the pop up headlight were deleted. I would like to keep the pop up lights, maybe rig up a GT manual set up.

matthepcat- Thank you for posting this honda car. I am curious why the car is stated to not have working headlights. I would like to find out why this owner decided no to try to make them function.

Cory M-I saw on samba various cars and buses that were wired just like you said. I would like to get rid of all the porsche switches in the electrical system.

Downunderman- That blue wire kit looks really nice to me. Looks like the most complete kit I have seen for sale as far as universal parts go.

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 24 2016, 12:28 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Thank you Zach...only made one set and hopefully never again! Matt has a good idea - reach out to FH and pick hi brain. All the best!

Tony
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Aug 24 2016, 12:58 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 194

I've helped with one and will do another pretty soon the headlights are really no trouble, but did add a relay with a set of form C contacts.

Bob
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 24 2016, 01:04 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

...should've known Bob had this down pat! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

T
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 24 2016, 01:23 PM
Post #33

This from c contact? So is this like a monetary relay that switches polarity? Something like this maybe? 12 v dpdt switch rado shack # 2750043Attached Image
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 24 2016, 01:27 PM
Post #34

or is it something like this?
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 24 2016, 05:33 PM
Post #35

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

A simple DPDT relay can operate the pop up lights. They need a ht signal to go up and another to go down. Very simple to do if you have the skills.
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 24 2016, 06:12 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 24 2016, 06:33 PM) *

A simple DPDT relay can operate the pop up lights. They need a ht signal to go up and another to go down. Very simple to do if you have the skills.

A momentary on off on toggle switch can do it. Piece of cake.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 24 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #37

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Aug 24 2016, 05:12 PM) *

momentary might not work. The factory wires are constant. You would need to try it.
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 24 2016, 06:39 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 24 2016, 07:27 PM) *

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Aug 24 2016, 05:12 PM) *

momentary might not work. The factory wires are constant. You would need to try it.

I think im going to have to bring my power probe home from work and test the stock functions of the headlights out and go from there.
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Mar 10 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 11,426

Zach,
please keep me in the loop on your solution to this...very interested in doing a simpler wiring harness.

Mike B. does make some good points about the stock turn signal adaption that would be needed. I understand that you would rather replace the turn signal stock. Me, I would like to mend the two together to keep the stock look. Would be very helpful if Mike B. would put his electrical experience to the task.

Dave
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 13 2017, 10:12 AM
Post #40

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

I need a harness for my Build-Off Challenge project and had stumbled onto InfinityBox a while back. Based on Jay's post above, I gave him a call and he spent a ton of time educating me on what they do, how they do it and how their product might work for my build.
I'm duly impressed. Great first impression.
So, I think I'll be pulling the trigger on their 20 circuit system.
I'll update my build with the details as I get to it.
Chris
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 09:43 AM