Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any aviation guys out there, You might like this
porsche-tom
post Aug 27 2016, 04:07 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,626
Region Association: None

The spider is real a red back spider a guy in Australia collects them and makes shift knobs . Customredback.com .he might take requests
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 27 2016, 04:08 PM
Post #22

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 27 2016, 01:38 PM) *

I've been collecting WWII bomber gauges for my project....

Rob - that would be cool to mount something from a B-24 in your Dad's car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You could probably modify an old 914 ashtray with a VDO 2 Gauge Mount over where the dash buffer piece goes onto the ashtray for an easily put back to stock mount for 1-2 gauges from the B24 like your Dad flew.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post Aug 27 2016, 04:17 PM
Post #23

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

Love it very cool!!!!!

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 27 2016, 04:46 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Very cool.. I remember a 66 912 my dad once had that came with a altimeter .. It was factory installed.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 27 2016, 04:50 PM
Post #25

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 27 2016, 03:08 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 27 2016, 01:38 PM) *

I've been collecting WWII bomber gauges for my project....

Rob - that would be cool to mount something from a B-24 in your Dad's car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You could probably modify an old 914 ashtray with a VDO 2 Gauge Mount over where the dash buffer piece goes onto the ashtray for an easily put back to stock mount for 1-2 gauges from the B24 like your Dad flew.

Tom
///////

Exactly. It would be great to find a yoke as well.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Aug 27 2016, 04:51 PM
Post #26

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802

A little off the path, but Stoli Russian Vodka used to campaign a pair of MIG jets painted in Stoli Red for advertising. When we saw the two Stoli MIGS at the Reno Air Races years ago, the two jets looked sharp from a distance. But if you got up close and looked down along the fuselage, their metal body panels looked like they were hammered out individually on an anvil with a sledge hammer. (Maybe they were). The MIG body panels were so bumpy from one to the next that it made our USA jets look like they were machined out of a single billet of steel. I think Ivan's strategy has always been quantity over quality. But I guess the bumps helped the airflow over the MIGS, as they flew beautifully!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 27 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #27

TMI....

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 27 2016, 03:46 PM) *

Very cool.. I remember a 66 912 my dad once had that came with a altimeter .. It was factory installed.

That probably came in handy to re-jet the carbs if you lived or went to high altitude mountain areas often!

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 27 2016, 05:21 PM
Post #28

TMI....

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 27 2016, 03:51 PM) *

A little off the path, but Stoli Russian Vodka used to campaign a pair of MIG jets painted in Stoli Red for advertising. When we saw the two Stoli MIGS at the Reno Air Races years ago, the two jets looked sharp from a distance. But if you got up close and looked down along the fuselage, their metal body panels looked like they were hammered out individually on an anvil with a sledge hammer. (Maybe they were). The MIG body panels were so bumpy from one to the next that it made our USA jets look like they were machined out of a single billet of steel. I think Ivan's strategy has always been quantity over quality. But I guess the bumps helped the airflow over the MIGS, as they flew beautifully!
Attached Image

Actually Curtis, from what an old Korean War F-86 pilot I knew had said (now deceased), it was that lesser build quality wrinkled skin that gave our slicker aerodynamically F-86 Sabre Jets an edge over those MIG-15s - as well as the use of the full unit stabilators (replaced the earlier fixed horizontal stabilizers with elevators) on the later F-86s resolving the dive & high speed maneuverability problem.

Yes, they were more crudely semi-hand made aircraft, at lower cost than any of ours of that era.

I think that the actor Michael Dorn who played Worf on Startrek TNG has/had a later MIG (17 or a trainer IIRC) which he flew, & was at some of the Miramar NAS/MCAS air shows with it back in the 90's.

Cool Pic! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Aug 28 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #29

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 27 2016, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 27 2016, 03:51 PM) *

Attached Image

Actually Curtis, from what an old Korean War F-86 pilot I knew had said (now deceased), it was that lesser build quality wrinkled skin that gave our slicker aerodynamically F-86 Sabre Jets an edge over those MIG-15s - as well as the use of the full unit stabilators (replaced the earlier fixed horizontal stabilizers with elevators) on the later F-86s resolving the dive & high speed maneuverability problem.

Yes, they were more crudely semi-hand made aircraft, at lower cost than any of ours of that era.

I think that the actor Michael Dorn who played Worf on Startrek TNG has/had a later MIG (17 or a trainer IIRC) which he flew, & was at some of the Miramar NAS/MCAS air shows with it back in the 90's.

Cool Pic! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Hi Tom, I agree, but the wrinkled skin might act like dimples on a golf ball, but not compared to our slick hardware. I think you could buy used Russian MIGs for very cheap, the cost was to maintain and fly them.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 28 2016, 10:01 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Aug 26 2016, 06:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 26 2016, 06:13 PM) *

Last year I saw a 747 clock on ebay. It came from N502UP. I thought it looked familiar so I checked back in my log book and I had flown that very airplane. Like a dummy I didn't buy it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I've seen the MIG clocks sometimes on ebay as well.

UPS eh?

Must have been nice flying cargo instead of passengers. A package can't complain when you drop on to the runway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Uuuumm. Drop WHAT on the runway?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 28 2016, 10:04 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

An interesting thing about the MIG. You can see a broad white stripe painted on the instrument panel. If the airplane went into a spin, you were to place the control stick over that stripe. And hope for the best. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 29 2016, 01:50 PM
Post #32

TMI....

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 28 2016, 08:13 PM) *

I think you could buy used Russian MIGs for very cheap, the cost was to maintain and fly them.

Well not for the Russians, Chinese & other "Red" countries - they probably still have warehouses full of parts over there, & they were made "rough & ready" to be maintained & repaired on dirt strips with minimal facilities.

Kinda like the AK47 of the air - not so pretty but works most of the time & cheap/easy to repair - compared to our higher tech & tighter tolerances stuff.

Geez, their "lesser allies" were still flying them at the time of the break-up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Aug 29 2016, 01:56 PM
Post #33

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 29 2016, 12:50 PM) *

I think you could buy used Russian MIGs for very cheap, the cost was to maintain and fly them.

Well not for the Russians, Chinese & other "Red" countries - they probably still have warehouses full of parts over there, & they were made "rough & ready" to be maintained & repaired on dirt strips with minimal facilities.

Kinda like the AK47 of the air - not so pretty but works most of the time & cheap/easy to repair - compared to our higher tech & tighter tolerances stuff.

Geez, their "lesser allies" were still flying them at the time of the break-up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Tom
///////

Hey Tom, isn't part of Ivan's strategy always been quantity over quality, whether it's men or machines?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 29 2016, 02:18 PM
Post #34

TMI....

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 29 2016, 12:56 PM) *

Hey Tom, isn't part of Ivan's strategy always been quantity over quality, whether it's men or machines?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Masses of T34s stopped Hitler's Blitzkrieg on the Steppes - & before that, they just threw millions of people at them!

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 29 2016, 02:30 PM
Post #35

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

... the wrinkled skin might act like dimples on a golf ball...

Those only work when the ball is spinning. If the MiG is spinning, it has other things to worry about...

--DD
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:30 PM