Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Invade One Lap of America 2017?, LOOKING FOR A GOOD . . . 914s
tomeric914
post Sep 18 2016, 10:25 AM
Post #21

One Lap of America in a 914!

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

The car has to be well sorted out regardless of the motor.

Would a Jake Raby built motor survive One Lap? Hell yeah. I've got a 2300 that Jake balanced for me 15+ years ago in my Bug. It is the smoothest running T4 I've ever had, doesn't leak a drop of oil and is rock solid.

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 18 2016, 11:51 AM) *

Thanks for all of your feedback. It is very helpful. Finishing the event is our goal. I am a little concerned about the durability of the 4, though. I am going to look into whether a type IV (or any air-cooled VW has ever done the OLOA.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 18 2016, 10:31 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Steve - A concern I'd have if I were you would be the gearing - at least fifth. If you don't have an "H" gear for the 901 - get one. If I had one in my stash I'd donate it - maybe someone else will for your cause. Cruising between venues without it could be hard on the valve train, ears, fuel, everything, etc. Just a thought - I didn't read the entries...if it has been mentioned, my apologies.

Tony
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Sep 18 2016, 10:42 AM
Post #23

What did you say Tony? I can't hear you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Sep 18 2016, 10:43 AM
Post #24

1. You can repair the vehicle along the way either with parts you bring or parts you acquire locally. Good luck though because there is NO TIME to fix stuff unless you don't plan on sleeping. Oh, that reminds me, don't plan on sleeping.

The very first checkpoint was at a Harley Davidson dealer in Cleveland who was sponsoring the Brock Yates Tribute Fund for Alzheimers. The dealership let one of the entrants bring their vehicle into the shop, use the shop's tools and get the vehicle back on the road.

2. If you miss an event, you can still go on to the next event, but it's not likely because now instead of being 600 miles behind, you're 1200 miles behind. Again, don't plan on sleeping.

One Lap was no problem for me. Eric was thankful that I can function very well on little to no sleep.

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 18 2016, 12:43 PM) *
From Steve's PM:

My main concern right now is durability. I have a couple questions that I don't seem to be able to get info on elsewhere:

1. You can repair the car along the way, right? Can you only use parts you carry with you? Or an you buy parts if you need them?

2. If you had to repair the car and miss a track event, can you still keep going to the next track event and carry on?
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Sep 18 2016, 11:32 AM
Post #25

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 12:43 PM) *

1. You can repair the vehicle along the way either with parts you bring or parts you acquire locally. Good luck though because there is NO TIME to fix stuff unless you don't plan on sleeping. Oh, that reminds me, don't plan on sleeping.

The very first checkpoint was at a Harley Davidson dealer in Cleveland who was sponsoring the Brock Yates Tribute Fund for Alzheimers. The dealership let one of the entrants bring their vehicle into the shop, use the shop's tools and get the vehicle back on the road.

2. If you miss an event, you can still go on to the next event, but it's not likely because now instead of being 600 miles behind, you're 1200 miles behind. Again, don't plan on sleeping.

One Lap was no problem for me. Eric was thankful that I can function very well on little to no sleep.

From Steve's PM:

My main concern right now is durability. I have a couple questions that I don't seem to be able to get info on elsewhere:

1. You can repair the car along the way, right? Can you only use parts you carry with you? Or an you buy parts if you need them?

2. If you had to repair the car and miss a track event, can you still keep going to the next track event and carry on?

SO True, We usually broke the nightly driving into 3 shifts. Tom drove the first shift until dinner or so. Then I drove until, say 10PM, then when I could not safely drive anymore, Tom took the last shift. He is impressively able to keep awake! A regular ironman.
If you are not one of the fastest, expect to get to your destination after midnight each night. (The fastest run first, and therefore leave first)

Now off to work on my Cayman (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 18 2016, 11:49 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Tom - Not trying to disagree with your numbers at all but at about 2850 miles total over 7 days of driving = 400 (+/-) miles a day (average). While still allot of ground to cover - 400 vs 600 is mathematically a huge difference. I like 400 better...

I'm not worried about durability or reliability...more so, the comfort or lack there of, in a 46-year old car with no heat and a/c. I can fix the heat - I can't fix the A/C as easily.

I see a clear advantage to finishing strong each day and leaving early too. That can greatly influence your experience stretched out over a week. Thank you both for your insight.

As has been said before...time will tell.

Tony
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Sep 18 2016, 12:03 PM
Post #27

You're right, what the fuck do I know? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

First leg - 595 miles
Second leg - 557 miles
Third leg - 465 miles
Fourth leg - 603 miles
Fifth leg - 545 miles
Sixth leg - 191 miles
Seventh leg - 105 miles

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/currentEven...e.do?eventId=36

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 18 2016, 01:49 PM) *

Tom - Not trying to disagree with your numbers at all but Brock told me it was about 2850 miles total over 7 days of driving = 400 (+/-) miles a day (average). While still allot of ground to cover - 400 vs 600 is mathematically a huge difference. I like 400 better...

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 18 2016, 12:11 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

So an average of 437 miles per leg. I assume the track events occurred in the morning, and then you drove all afternoon/evening to the next day's track?

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 02:03 PM) *

First leg - 595 miles
Second leg - 557 miles
Third leg - 465 miles
Fourth leg - 603 miles
Fifth leg - 545 miles
Sixth leg - 191 miles
Seventh leg - 105 miles

Tom - Not trying to disagree with your numbers at all but Brock told me it was about 2850 miles total over 7 days of driving = 400 (+/-) miles a day (average). While still allot of ground to cover - 400 vs 600 is mathematically a huge difference. I like 400 better...

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 18 2016, 12:14 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Can other people help with repairs? In other words, if need be could a shop help or do a repair? Or a group of 914 buddies? IIRC, no chase vehicles or team support is allowed.

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 12:43 PM) *

From Steve's PM:

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 18 2016, 12:18 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

I actually don't know (what you know) but I do like the look of a 437 daily average vs 600 - thanks. That's more in-line with what I was told...a good friend of mine did the 2016 run too.

Tony

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 02:03 PM) *

First leg - 595 miles
Second leg - 557 miles
Third leg - 465 miles
Fourth leg - 603 miles
Fifth leg - 545 miles
Sixth leg - 191 miles
Seventh leg - 105 miles

+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Sep 18 2016, 12:21 PM
Post #31

Track events are morning and afternoon. Slower cars run later in the day. It'll be 4pm or 5pm before you get on the road.

Enough with the averages, you're disillusioning yourself. The majority of the legs were close to 600.

Brock Jr. said that he has shortened One Lap considerably compared to what it was in year's past to attract more people. Who knows what it will be this year.

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 18 2016, 02:11 PM) *

So an average of 437 miles per leg. I assume the track events occurred in the morning, and then you drove all afternoon/evening to the next day's track?

+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Sep 18 2016, 12:24 PM
Post #32

That's correct, no chase vehicles or team support though Toyota's effort sure looked like a team to me.

The vehicle can be fixed along the way with what you buy or bring as long as it isn't a new set of tires. Time is of the essence though.

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 18 2016, 02:14 PM) *

Can other people help with repairs? In other words, if need be could a shop help or do a repair? Or a group of 914 buddies? IIRC, no chase vehicles or team support is allowed.

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 18 2016, 12:43 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Ya, after those first 5 legs of about 600 miles each, I would imagine that two 200 mile legs are little comfort.

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 02:21 PM) *

Track events are morning and afternoon. Slower cars run later in the day. It'll be 4pm or 5pm before you get on the road.

Enough with the averages, you're disillusioning yourself. The majority of the legs were close to 600.

Brock Jr. said that he has shortened One Lap considerably compared to what it was in year's past to attract more people. Who knows what it will be this year.

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 18 2016, 12:44 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

I think we will be able to figure it out better once the route for next year is announced.
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Sep 18 2016, 04:11 PM
Post #35

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 18 2016, 02:43 PM) *

Ya, after those first 5 legs of about 600 miles each, I would imagine that two 200 mile legs are little comfort.

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 02:21 PM) *

Yes, they were great after you get through the tough stuff, But honestly, once we got rid of the 30deg and 40deg days with rain, everything else seemed like a comfort as my feet were COLD!! LOL

Also, the trip from Road America to Autobahn was broken up by the Drag Strip and the Brat Stop so it really seemed like a normal day of driving (except for some rush hour traffic we hit).

Keep thinking about it!
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 18 2016, 05:02 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

I have lots of, and am going to have lots more, rudimentary tech questions. So I started a thread over in the race forum, so that I don't bog this thread down with dumb questions. Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=294658
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 19 2016, 11:21 AM
Post #37

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 02:24 PM) *

That's correct, no chase vehicles or team support though Toyota's effort sure looked like a team to me.

I could see that, saw them rolling up 75 heading north to southbound, and though. Toyota Camery what a choice. All I could think of was Grass Roots Motorsports Camery and the i'll fated V6 engine.

Then to see a car full of people, and figured they had "factory" baking as TRD has places all over, an then the dealership support network behind them. It would be a lot easier to get a Toyota serviced than say a Porsche 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 19 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

With all of the high-dollar cars in the OLOA these days, I was hoping that they had a class for relatively stock cars. And they do. Sorta. But, it seems more like an after thought. Clearly few cars enter in this class. And if they do, they aren't vintage cars.

This designation would require me to go back to fuel injection, which I fear would be much more difficult to diagnose and repair on the road than carbs, if need be.

13. Retro: Vehicles intended to reflect past trends or models, Minis, etc.

Note: Classification based on categories defined manufacturers' intent as determined by the organizers. These dollar amounts are reflective of 2016 dollars and should be adjusted for inflation for older vehicles, and used only as a guideline. Our main criteria is manufacturer intent, not the actual dollar value, as to what segment of the market in which the car designed to be sold.

In addition to the above classes, trophies will be awarded for the three highest placing Stock vehicles in two categories: GT (sports coupes) and Touring (sedans). In an event where an unmodified car is at often at a disadvantage, we will recognize those that are willing to compete with an unmolested vehicle. The class will be self-policing and all entrants must commit at the start. Wheels, tires and brake material are open, the rest of the car must remain stock. Teams committed to this class must be willing to provide reasonable access to others in the class for verification as requested. The organizer and staff will only be consulted for judgments when all other sources are exhausted and will be the final authority.

To be eligible for the "Stock" trophies, competitors must amend their vehicle description in the One Lap driver database by selecting the appropriate "stock" designation. Non-stock safety equipment must be approved by the organizer to balance safety and the intent of the class.

Again, the "Stock" trophies will be in addition to the normal class structure, not a stand-only class.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 28 2016, 11:54 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Just an update. We are waiting to see the announced courses for 2017. I spoke with Brock today and they will be announced soon. Once we see the courses we can decide whether we think the type IV might be able to do it.

Another idea has come up - if we don't do the official One Lap event, we could get some 914s together to create our own one lap of America-style drive. Or do the One Lap event without the full track days. I am looking into that now.
+Quote Post
Garland
post Sep 28 2016, 12:16 PM
Post #40

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Another idea has come up - if we don't do the official One Lap event, we could get some 914s together to create our own one lap of America-style drive.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 12:38 PM