Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Invade One Lap of America 2017?, LOOKING FOR A GOOD . . . 914s
worn
post Sep 28 2016, 01:12 PM
Post #41

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 6 2016, 10:53 AM) *

My son and I are thinking about doing the One Lap of America next May? Anybody else considering it or interested? Wouldn't it be cool to show up with a half dozen or more 914s entered.

Could be big fun. I did a 10 day, 4,000 mile drive in mine this year. There were hiccups but I won't forget it. Take the Cayman though for comfort and possibly peace of mind. Also, you have a hard time talking in my car at speed cause the engine and wind and rates are just too loud.
I would be willing to do part of a relay.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 29 2016, 05:50 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Steve - Based upon your earlier posts, I get that you don't care much or at all about the competition side of OLAM (and that is clearly ok). However, if you eliminate the "full track days" from an event like One Lap, you have an extended "Okteenerfest" rally instead - not a variation of OLAM. You know this, of course, but just pointing out the obvious.

It still could be fun, for the right folks, but the in-between-travel (tracks) is what I find the least interesting. I hope you and your son can find a way to participate in the actual One Lap - it would be an experience you both would never forget I'm sure.

Tony

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 28 2016, 01:54 PM) *

Another idea has come up - if we don't do the official One Lap event, we could get some 914s together to create our own one lap of America-style drive. Or do the One Lap event without the full track days. I am looking into that now.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 29 2016, 08:21 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

I agree. We are just looking at all of the options to include as many people as possible. One Lap would be great. It has become a high dollar competition that seems to exclude a lot of people, from a practical standpoint, though. We will see what the options are after they release the courses on the 2017 event.

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 29 2016, 07:50 AM) *

Steve - Based upon your earlier posts, I get that you don't care much or at all about the competition side of OLAM (and that is clearly ok). However, if you eliminate the "full track days" from an event like One Lap, you have an extended "Okteenerfest" rally instead - not a variation of OLAM. You know this, of course, but just pointing out the obvious.

It still could be fun, for the right folks, but the in-between-travel (tracks) is what I find the least interesting. I hope you and your son can find a way to participate in the actual One Lap - it would be an experience you both would never forget I'm sure.

Tony

Another idea has come up - if we don't do the official One Lap event, we could get some 914s together to create our own one lap of America-style drive. Or do the One Lap event without the full track days. I am looking into that now.

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 29 2016, 06:11 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

I have been thinking about your post all day. You are totally right - we have been waiting to do the "actual" One Lap for a decade or more. Anything else will leave us feeling like we cheated ourselves. I think we are almost ready to commit. Hopefully other 914s will join us.

So we are just waiting on the courses to be announced. I spoke with Steve Limbert today about the type IV motor and valve train durability. We are working on ideas with that.

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 29 2016, 07:50 AM) *

Tony

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 7 2016, 08:47 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

With the passing of Brock Yates it will make the 2017 One Lap even more special. No announced route yet. But, we hear it is a southern route this year. It sounds like this is our year to do it.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 18 2016, 10:06 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Since Brock Yates passed away a few weeks ago, I think it has delayed them on releasing the specific venues a little.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if a trailer is necessary. Your only allowed 1 spare tire (if the front and rear tire sizes are the same), and that can go in the front trunk. As far as I can list, there just aren't that many spare parts to take:

1 clutch
1 fan belt
1 brake pads
1 relay board
1 gas pedal
1 clutch cable
1 throttle cable
1 clutch cable Clevis
2 motor mounts
1 Can of air spray (for vapor lock)
Brake fluid
Tools
Flashlights
Tie wraps
Grease
4 jack stands?
Jack

I am sure I am missing some extra parts we will want to take. But, all in all, it doesn't seem like there will be as many spares needed as I initially thought.

If we put this stuff in duffle bags we should be able to fit it in the front and rear trunks. Then we can put our clothes in 2 duffles bags and put them on a rear trunk rack (I have an extra trunk lid that has already been drilled for the luggage rack).
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 10:20 AM