Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My Fuel Pressure Issue's Continue, finally back together & running
76-914
post Sep 8 2016, 08:43 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

A month back I installed a digital fuel pressure (FP) gage and when the car died due to low and then down to no fuel pressure, I suspected the fuel pump. I confirmed that the fuse was good and replaced the pump. Turned the key and nothing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I failed to check for the presence of voltage at the pump connection. Idiot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fyou1.gif) Must have been the relay. So I reach up behind the AC and un-clip it. Bench test it w/ a 9v batt and ohm meter. Test ok! Hmmm, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Still no power at the pump. Well lets plug it back in and check for bad connections on the molex plug. Then I notice that when the FP relay was energized the 12v side leaving the relay was @ 5v. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Turn the key off and check the hot side of the relay and it reads 12v. At this pointe I'm speaking in Tongues and I'm pretty sure that I ended up in a Fetal position. What in the Hell is going on? Then I remembered what that relay served. This little Bastard. The fuel pump controller. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

So I dropped the AC and pulled the console just to access the FPC. It was in a great place before I added AC. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) Once I removed the controller from the circuit I got 12v at the relay outlet. All of the turbo WRX's used one but only one Subaru EZ30 used one; mine, the 2003 YM. I had noticed that my fuel pressure varied with acceleration and that's what these do. I looked into bypassing the controller but decided Subaru knew better than I so $160 later I'll have one in a few days. Because mine is a "one year only" I had to order from the dealer. Otherwise, they're $35-$45 a pop on Ebay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
The carnage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Not as bad as it looks. I can have it back together in an hour.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 06:24 AM