Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fuel check valve and the 3port fuel pump
brant
post Sep 10 2016, 07:54 AM
Post #1

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I think there must be a check valve built into the 3 port djet pump

I believe mine is not working
(Hard starting symptoms)

Has anyone pulled theirs apart?

Pictures or a thread?

I'm also wondering if adding an in line check valve would work?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
brant
post Sep 22 2016, 11:40 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

So Brad Anders website indicates their is a check valve in the fuel pump and that there have been instances of them failing...

unfortunately the URL's on his page are not working:
Fuel Pump •Function: Supplies fuel to the injectors and cold start valve.
•Failure Modes ◦No pressure/inoperative: Can be due to electrical or mechanical failure. The engine will not run in this condition. See the URL below for a test procedure.
◦Improper fuel line hookup: Very odd problems in maintaining pressure, with odd drivability problems. Check the factory workshop manual for the correct hookup.
◦Clogged return line: I had this happen when I converted back from carburetors, my return line was clogged at the tank. High fuel pressure and rich, possible gas contamination of oil. If you can't regulate the pressure, this may be your problem.
◦Failed Check Valve: The check valve keeps the pressure to the injectors and CSV up after the fuel pump is shut off to prevent vapor voids from forming and speed up starting. A failed check valve may cause some hot starting problems. There has been one report of a failed check valve causing the fuel pump to return all fuel to the tank, with no supply to the injectors. See the URL below for a test procedure.

•Notes: Detailed procedures on checking the fuel pump are documented in the Factory Workshop Manual. The electrical plug, contacts, and boot are often in poor condition due to exposure to heat, battery acid, and the environment. Contact failures are a common cause of a sudden shut-off of your car while driving. You should hear the fuel pump run for 1.5 seconds after turning the key to the "on" position. If you don't hear the pump run, check the fuel pump relay on the relay board, and the connection plug to the fuel pump. I keep a cheap Radio Shack multi-meter in my car just for this problem.
•More: There is an excellent reference on debugging fuel pump problems at the URL below:

http://www.914fan.net/fuelpump.html

I also have created a series of flow charts for diagnosing the fuel pump circuit and relays:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/FPChecklist.htm
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Sep 22 2016, 01:22 PM
Post #3

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 22 2016, 01:40 PM) *

◦Failed Check Valve: The check valve keeps the pressure to the injectors and CSV up after the fuel pump is shut off to prevent vapor voids from forming and speed up starting. A failed check valve may cause some hot starting problems. There has been one report of a failed check valve causing the fuel pump to return all fuel to the tank, with no supply to the injectors. See the URL below for a test procedure.

Brant - I have similar experience on an otherwise generally well-running 2056 D-Jet. I've wondered the same thing about a check valve. I bought my fuel pump rebuilt from AA a couple of years ago, but I'm thinking about changing to that Bosch 2 port unit.

Can someone confirm: should the fuel pressure in the system STAY ~29 psi even when the pump is off (or maybe bleed down slowly)? Mine does not. It bleeds off right away. My other symptoms:

1. Takes me about 5 seconds of cranking to start when it's cold, and I ALWAYS have to feather it once or twice during the first 10 seconds of running or it will die one time. If it does die, it will immediately fire up with turn of key and stay started.

2. If I kill engine and IMMEDIATELY restart, it fires up with no problem.

3. If stop briefly for a few minutes, e.g., to fill up gas or run quickly into a store, it may take 5 to 15 seconds of cranking and then will idle so low for 20 or 30 seconds that I normally have to feather it to keep running. After that, idle picks up and all good. It doesn't seem like it's that "warm start over-enrichment" issue, because the head temp is still high, and my O2 is showing more like 14+ at that point.

This morning after a 20 minute doctors appointment. I started the car with accelerator depressed, and it did seem to help it start more quickly and stay started.

Maybe I'll put replacing the fuel pump on my to-do list and see if that helps.

Also, I've tried to go to that P914fan.net link before hoping to get answers, only to find a "fitness fan blog." And Brad's fuel pump page isn't working the way it's supposed to anymore (I think it may not be compatible with modern browsers). I know he's been active here recently - I don't know if he's got the time to update it or not, but it would be appreciated (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 22 2016, 04:03 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 22 2016, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 22 2016, 01:40 PM) *

Brant - I have similar experience on an otherwise generally well-running 2056 D-Jet. I've wondered the same thing about a check valve. I bought my fuel pump rebuilt from AA a couple of years ago, but I'm thinking about changing to that Bosch 2 port unit.

Can someone confirm: should the fuel pressure in the system STAY ~29 psi even when the pump is off (or maybe bleed down slowly)? Mine does not. It bleeds off right away. My other symptoms:

1. Takes me about 5 seconds of cranking to start when it's cold, and I ALWAYS have to feather it once or twice during the first 10 seconds of running or it will die one time. If it does die, it will immediately fire up with turn of key and stay started.

2. If I kill engine and IMMEDIATELY restart, it fires up with no problem.

3. If stop briefly for a few minutes, e.g., to fill up gas or run quickly into a store, it may take 5 to 15 seconds of cranking and then will idle so low for 20 or 30 seconds that I normally have to feather it to keep running. After that, idle picks up and all good. It doesn't seem like it's that "warm start over-enrichment" issue, because the head temp is still high, and my O2 is showing more like 14+ at that point.

This morning after a 20 minute doctors appointment. I started the car with accelerator depressed, and it did seem to help it start more quickly and stay started.

Maybe I'll put replacing the fuel pump on my to-do list and see if that helps.

Also, I've tried to go to that P914fan.net link before hoping to get answers, only to find a "fitness fan blog." And Brad's fuel pump page isn't working the way it's supposed to anymore (I think it may not be compatible with modern browsers). I know he's been active here recently - I don't know if he's got the time to update it or not, but it would be appreciated (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

That sounds like exactly the same symptoms
I too would love to know if a stock djet system maintains some pressure when shut off
Mine maintains zero pressure within 1-2 seconds

I will let you know soon what my findings are from removing/testing/and perhaps beating my pump with a hammer. I intend to remove the spring loaded return over flow valve and examine it

If I don't find anything out. I intend to get a 2 port pump and test it also
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
brant   Fuel check valve and the 3port fuel pump   Sep 10 2016, 07:54 AM
sixnotfour   its a pressure bypass , not a check valve Remembe...   Sep 10 2016, 08:03 AM
brant   Ok it's just a bypass So has anyone ever adde...   Sep 10 2016, 08:48 AM
sixnotfour   Ok it's just a bypass So has anyone ever add...   Sep 10 2016, 08:56 AM
Dave_Darling   The pump itself acts as a check valve, at least to...   Sep 10 2016, 10:49 AM
brant   The pump itself acts as a check valve, at least t...   Sep 12 2016, 10:22 AM
John   My suggestion would be to recheck the lines under ...   Sep 12 2016, 11:08 AM
Eric_Shea   Time for one of these: http://www.914world.com/bb...   Sep 12 2016, 11:12 AM
Elliot Cannon   I had an issue like that with a '79 911. It w...   Sep 12 2016, 11:13 AM
brant   I can easily pull the pump this weekend. I added a...   Sep 12 2016, 11:21 AM
John   From what I recall (this is from memory) on the 3 ...   Sep 12 2016, 07:30 PM
Dave_Darling   Definitely check the pressure. You're only sp...   Sep 12 2016, 08:35 PM
rhodyguy   Have you looked down the fill opening and glaced a...   Sep 13 2016, 12:51 PM
brant   Have you looked down the fill opening and glaced ...   Sep 13 2016, 01:02 PM
John   Just for giggles, you might want to check pressure...   Sep 13 2016, 07:14 PM
sixnotfour   put a 2 port pump in,, problem gone..the roller va...   Sep 13 2016, 08:25 PM
brant   put a 2 port pump in,, problem gone..the roller v...   Sep 13 2016, 09:02 PM
sixnotfour   put a 2 port pump in,, problem gone..the roller ...   Sep 13 2016, 09:15 PM
brant   Question I know the injectors fire in pairs Whe...   Sep 19 2016, 07:50 PM
brant   So Brad Anders website indicates their is a check ...   Sep 22 2016, 11:40 AM
BeatNavy   ◦Failed Check Valve: The check valve keeps the ...   Sep 22 2016, 01:22 PM
87m491   I don't know D-jet at all compared to my CIS c...   Sep 22 2016, 01:51 PM
brant   ◦Failed Check Valve: The check valve keeps the...   Sep 22 2016, 04:03 PM
BeatNavy   That sounds like exactly the same symptoms I too ...   Sep 22 2016, 06:09 PM
Dave_Darling   I too would love to know if a stock djet system m...   Sep 23 2016, 09:56 AM
brant   I too would love to know if a stock djet system ...   Sep 23 2016, 11:47 AM
BeatNavy   How do test the pressure regulator? It sits at 29...   Sep 23 2016, 12:17 PM
Dave_Darling   I think the references to "check valve" ...   Sep 23 2016, 04:27 PM
brant   I think the references to "check valve...   Sep 23 2016, 04:40 PM
brant   I fixed it Will keep testing after it cools down ...   Sep 23 2016, 07:32 PM
BeatNavy   Did you have to break open the pump to get to that...   Sep 24 2016, 05:56 AM
brant   Some details I may get a better picture when I ge...   Sep 25 2016, 09:22 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:33 PM