Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Started thinking about selling mine, on 914..., Talk me out of it!
Jake Raby
post Sep 15 2016, 08:22 AM
Post #1

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

After 18 months of owning my current '76 914 I am seriously considering selling it..

Why? Mainly because the car is too nice and original to be taken from stock, and I pretty much modify everything that I own. Many here already had a wager that I would have fitted one of my 2270cc, 175 HP engines already, but I have refrained. The car runs too good, and is too original to do this with.

Even though I could remove the original engine, and build up my 2270 from another core, meaning he work would always be reversible, I still don't want to do it.

I haven't driven the car a lot, and I honestly have too many cars. My European Military Vehicle collection has grown, and I am adding another building to house those vehicles, so some extra cash from selling the 914 would help with that endeavor.

When I bought the car I grabbed it up because it was a car that I wanted at the time to round out the Porsche collection, and I hadn't owned a 914 for a decade. I'm kind of torn, because I know that I can't find another one this clean and original in the future if I do sell it. The driving factor behind selling this one was I drive it the least, and its one of the only cars that I own that does;t have my engine installed. That makes it easier to let go of than all the rest.

I also don't know what to ask for the car. I paid a lot for it, because of what it was, and it was well worth that. All I've done to the car is a valve adjustment, replace a TPS, and change the oil. It hasn't needed anything else, and its not rusty. Being black, the car really doesn't show the "big bumpers" at all, they kind of get lost with the body color.
I did add some pristine Al reed 2.0 Fuchs, which were not cheap, but they really made the car "pop" a lot more. It only could use a couple of targa top seals to be 100%, and thats it. I haven't found any rust, anywhere. I've looked!

So, still torn and considering what to do... I don;t have to sell it, and if I drove it more I'd love it more...

I guess on 914 I was thinking opposite from most of you guys! I don;t even know what to ask for it, but I certainly won't give it away!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 15 2016, 08:31 AM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Honestly how much time does it take you to swap an engine? 5 hours on the lazy???

Im sure you have shop test engines that are ready to plop into whatever... Why take some time, pull the original engine, take some time to clean up the engine compartment and refresh the trans side of things (leaks and whatnot), then plop a test engine in. Go over the stock engine for leaks and such for a month when your bored and see if a hot motor rekindles your fire for the car.

If not, put the freshened stock motor back in and sell the car for more than if you hadnt..

It seems like a win, win, win in my book... Only thing your out is a little time, but its the fun kind of time, not the PITA problem solving time..
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Sep 15 2016, 08:49 AM
Post #3

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Jake, We do not have to tell you about cars or this stuff....you know and live the stuff.
But if you really ask me : I am not sure from your info why it really needs to be sold, so I would keep it. I think you are not selling it for the money, so really...keep it since you will have a hard time finding a nice one again.
On the other hand, if someone was ready to buy it for the amount you have in it now....maybe do it, to be back at start and buy what you really need.

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 15 2016, 08:58 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Keep living the dream. Don't do what anyone tells you to do or think about what you should do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
RickS
post Sep 15 2016, 08:58 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

Sounds like the initial purchase was an impulse buy because the car was so nice, but since you are really into improving your cars as part of ownership, the fun component, this car is not for you. I would recommend selling the car and replacing it with a good but not as pristine car you won't feel bad modifying. You will never truly be happy with your current 914 since you won't be able to do what you enjoy, so cut it loose.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 15 2016, 09:16 AM
Post #6

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 15 2016, 06:58 AM) *

Sounds like the initial purchase was an impulse buy because the car was so nice, but since you are really into improving your cars as part of ownership, the fun component, this car is not for you. I would recommend selling the car and replacing it with a good but not as pristine car you won't feel bad modifying. You will never truly be happy with your current 914 since you won't be able to do what you enjoy, so cut it loose.

This is along the lines of my thought process more than any other post...

As far as swapping the engine in 5 hours, well I will only do things comprehensively.. To outfit my engine correctly requires an external oil cooling system, updated fuel system, and etc.. These are the things that would take away from the car, not just bolting in an engine.

Basically this is the nicest 914 I've ever had, and it's too nice for me. I enjoy my other vehicles more.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Sep 15 2016, 09:17 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Was in your boat about 5 years back, made the choice to sell a real nice 914. Spent the last 3 years looking for one to replace it and keep.

If you think 10years from now you will miss it, then by all means keep it, even if that means just putting a few miles a year on it to keep it going. They are only getting more expensive and harder to find.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 15 2016, 09:19 AM
Post #8

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 15 2016, 07:22 AM) *

After 18 months of owning my current '76 914 I am seriously considering selling it..

Why? Mainly because the car is too nice and original to be taken from stock,

I wouldn't let that stop me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Sep 15 2016, 09:25 AM
Post #9

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 15 2016, 11:16 AM) *

I enjoy my other vehicles more.

That's it, in a nutshell. When I quit enjoying a car I sell it.

Put it on BAT. Set the reserve at what you have in it and go from there....let the market decide value

BAT seems to be the best venue for a Porsche sale these days.
+Quote Post
eyesright
post Sep 15 2016, 09:38 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,979
Region Association: Southwest Region

"Talk me out of it..."

I had a '72 but put it on jackstands waiting for a -6. Its still on jack stands. So I looked for a driver and found a pretty good '76.

Then I read someone's comment that the later cars were better on the highway and I thought, "Hey! That's right!" Its a subtle difference but the big bumpers make for a better interstate cruiser.

So Jake take a ride out to the Rocky Mountains with your black beauty and you'll never let it go.

Hmmm, want to trade it for my '42 Ford GTB? Its not European but looks just as funky.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 15 2016, 09:40 AM
Post #11

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 15 2016, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 15 2016, 06:58 AM) *

This is along the lines of my thought process more than any other post...

As far as swapping the engine in 5 hours, well I will only do things comprehensively.. To outfit my engine correctly requires an external oil cooling system, updated fuel system, and etc.. These are the things that would take away from the car, not just bolting in an engine.

Basically this is the nicest 914 I've ever had, and it's too nice for me. I enjoy my other vehicles more.

Seems like you have made up your mind then. If your not going to modify the car, and you dont want a stock car then it doesnt seem like the one for you...

Values are high for pristine cars, why not sell and buy something else? You have no attachment to this particular car..
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Sep 15 2016, 09:49 AM
Post #12

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

excuse my ignorance but what is BAT
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Sep 15 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #13

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Sep 15 2016, 11:49 AM) *

excuse my ignorance but what is BAT

Bring a Trailer
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 15 2016, 11:21 AM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Seems like a nice car to hold on to until you are sure you really don't want a 914. Then before you try BAT, send an email to your client list letting them know about the opportunity to buy your car. They know you and know how you work. No BS.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Sep 15 2016, 12:10 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Keep it. Great unaltered 914's are getting rare.

Buy another less than perfect and build it with your best type IV.

It's a business write off anyway.

Not a tough decision but I find it's all about how one wants to spend their time nowdays.
+Quote Post
Perry Kiehl Clone
post Sep 15 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #16

Unregistered

Keep it, unless you can find a better investment. A good Porsche will outperform many other investments, and you can drive it.

I understand paring down the rolling stock though. They all require regular use and care.
+Quote Post
Toast
post Sep 15 2016, 12:25 PM
Post #17

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thank you for keeping it original as some of us like it that way. If I could buy it I would.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Sep 15 2016, 12:27 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Sell it and add to your Euro military collection. Those vehicles cannot be replaced while 914s come and go................ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) yeah I went there... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Now for my cherry 914, I would put one of your motors in it in a heartbeat.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Sep 15 2016, 12:46 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 15 2016, 09:22 AM) *

...but I certainly won't give it away!

Well, I'm out of the running (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
cconcepcion
post Sep 15 2016, 01:17 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 5,370

Jake...I say keep it but then you already know that. get that engine "Raby-ized" and then you can walk(drive) on the "sunny side" of life....know wut I'm sayin? That wasn't so hard.....?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 08:49 PM