Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Started thinking about selling mine, on 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
After 18 months of owning my current '76 914 I am seriously considering selling it..

Why? Mainly because the car is too nice and original to be taken from stock, and I pretty much modify everything that I own. Many here already had a wager that I would have fitted one of my 2270cc, 175 HP engines already, but I have refrained. The car runs too good, and is too original to do this with.

Even though I could remove the original engine, and build up my 2270 from another core, meaning he work would always be reversible, I still don't want to do it.

I haven't driven the car a lot, and I honestly have too many cars. My European Military Vehicle collection has grown, and I am adding another building to house those vehicles, so some extra cash from selling the 914 would help with that endeavor.

When I bought the car I grabbed it up because it was a car that I wanted at the time to round out the Porsche collection, and I hadn't owned a 914 for a decade. I'm kind of torn, because I know that I can't find another one this clean and original in the future if I do sell it. The driving factor behind selling this one was I drive it the least, and its one of the only cars that I own that does;t have my engine installed. That makes it easier to let go of than all the rest.

I also don't know what to ask for the car. I paid a lot for it, because of what it was, and it was well worth that. All I've done to the car is a valve adjustment, replace a TPS, and change the oil. It hasn't needed anything else, and its not rusty. Being black, the car really doesn't show the "big bumpers" at all, they kind of get lost with the body color.
I did add some pristine Al reed 2.0 Fuchs, which were not cheap, but they really made the car "pop" a lot more. It only could use a couple of targa top seals to be 100%, and thats it. I haven't found any rust, anywhere. I've looked!

So, still torn and considering what to do... I don;t have to sell it, and if I drove it more I'd love it more...

I guess on 914 I was thinking opposite from most of you guys! I don;t even know what to ask for it, but I certainly won't give it away!
Andyrew
Honestly how much time does it take you to swap an engine? 5 hours on the lazy???

Im sure you have shop test engines that are ready to plop into whatever... Why take some time, pull the original engine, take some time to clean up the engine compartment and refresh the trans side of things (leaks and whatnot), then plop a test engine in. Go over the stock engine for leaks and such for a month when your bored and see if a hot motor rekindles your fire for the car.

If not, put the freshened stock motor back in and sell the car for more than if you hadnt..

It seems like a win, win, win in my book... Only thing your out is a little time, but its the fun kind of time, not the PITA problem solving time..
Frankvw
Jake, We do not have to tell you about cars or this stuff....you know and live the stuff.
But if you really ask me : I am not sure from your info why it really needs to be sold, so I would keep it. I think you are not selling it for the money, so really...keep it since you will have a hard time finding a nice one again.
On the other hand, if someone was ready to buy it for the amount you have in it now....maybe do it, to be back at start and buy what you really need.

EdwardBlume
Keep living the dream. Don't do what anyone tells you to do or think about what you should do. aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
RickS
Sounds like the initial purchase was an impulse buy because the car was so nice, but since you are really into improving your cars as part of ownership, the fun component, this car is not for you. I would recommend selling the car and replacing it with a good but not as pristine car you won't feel bad modifying. You will never truly be happy with your current 914 since you won't be able to do what you enjoy, so cut it loose.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 15 2016, 06:58 AM) *

Sounds like the initial purchase was an impulse buy because the car was so nice, but since you are really into improving your cars as part of ownership, the fun component, this car is not for you. I would recommend selling the car and replacing it with a good but not as pristine car you won't feel bad modifying. You will never truly be happy with your current 914 since you won't be able to do what you enjoy, so cut it loose.

This is along the lines of my thought process more than any other post...

As far as swapping the engine in 5 hours, well I will only do things comprehensively.. To outfit my engine correctly requires an external oil cooling system, updated fuel system, and etc.. These are the things that would take away from the car, not just bolting in an engine.

Basically this is the nicest 914 I've ever had, and it's too nice for me. I enjoy my other vehicles more.
Ferg
Was in your boat about 5 years back, made the choice to sell a real nice 914. Spent the last 3 years looking for one to replace it and keep.

If you think 10years from now you will miss it, then by all means keep it, even if that means just putting a few miles a year on it to keep it going. They are only getting more expensive and harder to find.
76-914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 15 2016, 07:22 AM) *

After 18 months of owning my current '76 914 I am seriously considering selling it..

Why? Mainly because the car is too nice and original to be taken from stock,

I wouldn't let that stop me. stirthepot.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 15 2016, 11:16 AM) *

I enjoy my other vehicles more.

That's it, in a nutshell. When I quit enjoying a car I sell it.

Put it on BAT. Set the reserve at what you have in it and go from there....let the market decide value

BAT seems to be the best venue for a Porsche sale these days.
eyesright
"Talk me out of it..."

I had a '72 but put it on jackstands waiting for a -6. Its still on jack stands. So I looked for a driver and found a pretty good '76.

Then I read someone's comment that the later cars were better on the highway and I thought, "Hey! That's right!" Its a subtle difference but the big bumpers make for a better interstate cruiser.

So Jake take a ride out to the Rocky Mountains with your black beauty and you'll never let it go.

Hmmm, want to trade it for my '42 Ford GTB? Its not European but looks just as funky.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 15 2016, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 15 2016, 06:58 AM) *

This is along the lines of my thought process more than any other post...

As far as swapping the engine in 5 hours, well I will only do things comprehensively.. To outfit my engine correctly requires an external oil cooling system, updated fuel system, and etc.. These are the things that would take away from the car, not just bolting in an engine.

Basically this is the nicest 914 I've ever had, and it's too nice for me. I enjoy my other vehicles more.

Seems like you have made up your mind then. If your not going to modify the car, and you dont want a stock car then it doesnt seem like the one for you...

Values are high for pristine cars, why not sell and buy something else? You have no attachment to this particular car..
bernbomb914
excuse my ignorance but what is BAT
billh1963
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Sep 15 2016, 11:49 AM) *

excuse my ignorance but what is BAT

Bring a Trailer
mepstein
Seems like a nice car to hold on to until you are sure you really don't want a 914. Then before you try BAT, send an email to your client list letting them know about the opportunity to buy your car. They know you and know how you work. No BS.
914_teener
Keep it. Great unaltered 914's are getting rare.

Buy another less than perfect and build it with your best type IV.

It's a business write off anyway.

Not a tough decision but I find it's all about how one wants to spend their time nowdays.
Perry Kiehl Clone
Keep it, unless you can find a better investment. A good Porsche will outperform many other investments, and you can drive it.

I understand paring down the rolling stock though. They all require regular use and care.
Toast
Thank you for keeping it original as some of us like it that way. If I could buy it I would.
Coondog
Sell it and add to your Euro military collection. Those vehicles cannot be replaced while 914s come and go................ WTF.gif yeah I went there... blink.gif

Now for my cherry 914, I would put one of your motors in it in a heartbeat.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 15 2016, 09:22 AM) *

...but I certainly won't give it away!

Well, I'm out of the running laugh.gif
cconcepcion
Jake...I say keep it but then you already know that. get that engine "Raby-ized" and then you can walk(drive) on the "sunny side" of life....know wut I'm sayin? That wasn't so hard.....?
JOEPROPER
Hang onto it... Don't be the guy saying "i shoulda kept that car" It's not costing you anything and you're not going to find another like it, so hold onto it so someone else doesn't F it up. smoke.gif
Jake Raby
I am still making considerations on which way to go. I know as soon as I start doing things to the car that I will not be able to restrain myself.

Then, I am sure that I can't replace a car with another black one (the only color I like on a 914) for the same money later, especially if I find a rougher one and make it my way.

BAT has too many rules for me.

I'll probably just list it in the classifieds here and see what happens. I need to get some current photos of it, though.

I hate to sell cars, as the interface with the purchaser is not what I am fond of at all. When someone purchases something from me, they expect it to be perfect, so I am better off putting the car on consignment and letting someone else deal with that, so they never even know that it was mine.

Next up is my Testarossa, after I finish the major engine service later this month. The market is too strong not to let it go to a new owner. that one will definitely get consigned!
JmuRiz
Sounds like a good plan.

Selling the 914 should be OK enough on these classifieds.

however, dealing with Ferrari guys would be too much for you to deal with, consign is the best for that. Wish I could afford one, missed that boat about 5 years ago when they were cheap (like $50k for most of them) sad.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Sep 15 2016, 11:31 AM) *

Sounds like a good plan.

Selling the 914 should be OK enough on these classifieds.

however, dealing with Ferrari guys would be too much for you to deal with, consign is the best for that. Wish I could afford one, missed that boat about 5 years ago when they were cheap (like $50k for most of them) sad.gif

The good thing about the Ferrari guys is they don't know my name. Thats the best part.

My Dutch connection might want the 914, if that happens I can trade it for a nice Doka, or something and not have to deal with anyone :-)
r_towle
Camp914 or George
jor
I know I'm late to this thread, but if you want a more personalized 914 and you have the space, I wouldn't sell that pretty black car until you've secured the one you want to replace it. That way you'd have one to drive as you're building the successor and, really, that's a great situation to be in. Just my 2 cents.
Mblizzard
Jake,

I have always wanted a mostly original car. Not sure I could afford yours or get it past the CFO (wife) but if you do decide to pass it on I would be interested.

With that said, there is no way I would let that car go. You have way more experience than pretty much everyone in the world you can pretty much do anything to a car. But how cool would it be to do everything the car needed to be new and make it look like you did nothing. That is a true tribute to the car and to your skills. Just my opinion. I could be wrong but probably not.
Mueller
I'll trade you straight across..mine is far from stock or being too nice!
Heck, I'll even pay for the shipping!
smile.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 15 2016, 02:42 PM) *

Jake,

I have always wanted a mostly original car. Not sure I could afford yours or get it past the CFO (wife) but if you do decide to pass it on I would be interested.

With that said, there is no way I would let that car go. You have way more experience than pretty much everyone in the world you can pretty much do anything to a car. But how cool would it be to do everything the car needed to be new and make it look like you did nothing. That is a true tribute to the car and to your skills. Just my opinion. I could be wrong but probably not.

I never own all original vehicles.. I enjoyed building my 356 Outlaw because it was so far off the chain compared to what people do with 356s, even outlaws.

I can't really get into building anything all original.. The one exception will be the old '54 Chevy truck that my dad bought new.. It's all stock and I'll restore it back that way.

My 914
Everything has its time. It sounds as if you like the car but don't love the car. You've enjoyed your 18 months with it but now you have other interests and maybe its time to let it go. I think your intuition is giving you some hints here.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(My 914 @ Sep 15 2016, 05:38 PM) *

Everything has its time. It sounds as if you like the car but don't love the car. You've enjoyed your 18 months with it but now you have other interests and maybe its time to let it go. I think your intuition is giving you some hints here.

Yep, but I've barely drive it in those 18 months.. Only about 300 miles total.Les than any other car that I own. I've spent as much time washing it, as I have driving it.
wndsnd
You put water on that 914?

There is no saving it now! biggrin.gif
Rand
It needs to be a driver or an investment/collector. I know you aren't a limbo guy; If it's neither for you, then it's a paycheck toward something else.
Keyser Sose
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 15 2016, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(My 914 @ Sep 15 2016, 05:38 PM) *

Yep, but I've barely drive it in those 18 months.. Only about 300 miles total.Les than any other car that I own. I've spent as much time washing it, as I have driving it.

So dump it. You have no attachment to it so what's all the whining about? Move it and move on.

TJB/914
Hi Jake,

No one answered your original question how much is it worth??

My opinion popcorn[1].gif $30K++ but really $40K due to condition and future market appreciation smile.gif

Tom

Jake Raby
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Sep 16 2016, 03:59 AM) *

Hi Jake,

No one answered your original question how much is it worth??

My opinion popcorn[1].gif $30K++ but really $40K due to condition and future market appreciation smile.gif

Tom

Sounds good. I'd take 20 for it!
rgalla9146

So it is for sale and the price is $20,000 ?
Movin6
Looks like the perfect Porsche collection, color wise, Black, White and Grey!

Don't ask me about selling, I never can part w toys... ;-)
Jake Raby
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 16 2016, 05:01 AM) *

Yes, have a potential buyer coming tomorrow morning. Word got around.
JOEPROPER
20k seems fair. let me know if he backs out. You probably have gotten 40 pms by now, but keep me in mind.
Spoke
I have both 930 and 914. Love driving both and they have distinctly different rides. The 914 is more nimble and turns better. The 930 is a beast and is good on the highway.

I say keep the 914.

Changing the engine is not modifying the car. Cutting the front end off and adding a Chalon kit or cutting the fenders and installing fiberglass flares is modifying the car. It's your car; put a kickass engine in it and take a video of you doing burnouts and donuts in it. beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 16 2016, 05:32 PM) *

Yeah , word got around.
How'd that happen ?
Jake Raby
Potential buyer drove the car, and went over it with a fine toothed comb yesterday... We'll see if he liked it enough to buy it in a few days.
Cracker
Shameless? Maybe. Effective? Yes. Anyone who responded to this thread...accessory to the offense. av-943.gif lol-2.gif shades.gif

Since his objective is accomplished (now)...I can freely share my two cents "Keep it or sell it - I don't give a post-2-1117899824.gif "!

Tony

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 16 2016, 10:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 16 2016, 05:32 PM) *

Yeah , word got around.
How'd that happen ?
Keyser Sose
Ha ha ha, ain't it the truth? And once you see it you can't un-see it, it's all late-night infomercials.

rgalla9146
What a bunch of annoying self-serving bullshit.
My 914
So after all the discussion, did this car sell?
colingreene
Who actually cares?
rfuerst911sc
Paging Dr. Raby............I know you like to trade what might you be interested in ? And no I'm not giving up the beast biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.