Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914-6 Oil Cooler Mods, Which what why when
forrestkhaag
post Sep 17 2016, 09:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I just received the PMS Oil cooler modification tube for altering my 911 cooler to adapt to the 914-6 undercarriage.

No installation information was provided with the part from Patrick so my question to the sage advisors out there is: What length tube should the addition of the PMS tube result in? Then, I assume that a 90 degree AN fitting would be used to make the turn, correct?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated prior to me making a modification to my cooler that results in a no-cooler at all condition.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 17)
mb911
post Sep 17 2016, 10:00 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I know that you want to to turn 90 degrees previous to the end of the oil cooler.. Is that a -12 or -16 fitting?
+Quote Post
Steve
post Sep 17 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

It should be -16. The factory had an elbow on the end.
There is a factory one on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/262608182370?...p;ul_noapp=true

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 17 2016, 01:30 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The one on eBay isn't stock - and is way overpriced.
I would chart out your entire oil system before you start buying parts. figure out what you need your oil system to accomplish for your engine and driving and what you can afford to buy and then buy the parts. Then you might actually end up with a system where all the parts work together.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Sep 17 2016, 02:08 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Your right!! But It does look similar. You can google it and bring up multiple images. I had a shop just weld on an AN-16 elbow to mine 30 years ago.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 17 2016, 03:21 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Sep 18 2016, 03:50 AM) *

I just received the PMS Oil cooler modification tube for altering my 911 cooler to adapt to the 914-6 undercarriage.

No installation information was provided with the part from Patrick so my question to the sage advisors out there is: What length tube should the addition of the PMS tube result in? Then, I assume that a 90 degree AN fitting would be used to make the turn, correct?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated prior to me making a modification to my cooler that results in a no-cooler at all condition.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Running straight out of the cooler is not really an issue,PMS have done enough of these conversions the prove that,you can add sweep bend into the hose you are using anyway as you mentioned.
The original tube support on your cooler gets cut off and the conversion piece added in so the threaded end clears the end of the cooler,that gives you room to tighten the fitting.
Good luck and make sure you pick the right guy to do the welding.

+Quote Post
earossi
post Sep 17 2016, 04:50 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,878

I don't mean to hijack this thread,; but, my suggestion/comment has to do with coolers for /6 conversions. In the past most folks mounted an oil cooler in the front trunk so that air could be ducted to the cooler. Unfortunately, this location for an oil cooler is costly requiring that the front trunk be cut into for the ducts, and that long oil lines be routed from the engine to the new cooler location. Lastly, you end up losing trunk space for a spare tire. Not an optimum design to say the least.

A number of us have gone to small coolers with a thermostatically controlled fan. The cooler/fan package is about one foot square and about 4 inches thick. You install the fan in the engine bay using some shop fabricated brackets. The cooler cost is about $300 plus the cost to fab and install brackets. There are a number of these coolers running on motors at least as large as a 3.2 motor in Texas, the Midwest, and in the West.

Those doing a conversion should investigate this design before hacking up the trunk.

+Quote Post
Harpo
post Oct 23 2016, 04:05 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,469

Can you please post some photos of the oil cooler inside the engine compartment?

Thanks

David
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Oct 23 2016, 05:07 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

The cooler and pipe are shown in the first post on this thread; Stock 911 w/PMS edit tube shown.

I have mapped all lines, AN fittings,thermostat, etc. and their travel pattern or locations for each piece. I have the front oil cooler installed with shroud and exhaust fan all designed and fabricated to allow my full sized spare to reside in the front trunk. After checking out Steve's 6, i know the best config for the angle on the oil cooler mod. as well as the factory setup for routing the oil lines to and from. And guess what? I can afford it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Oct 24 2016, 09:04 AM
Post #10

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

The hose that feeds under the cooler is under suction from the oil pump. Be carful of your hose bends to avoid hose collapsing.

The Patrick feed hose does just this, I am in the process of having a hose made now that has a hard bend to avoid this.

This is also the hose you want to leave a coupling in the middle to be able to drain your tank on oil changes.
+Quote Post
Perry Kiehl Clone
post Oct 24 2016, 11:49 AM
Post #11

Unregistered

If I do a conversion with AN fittings, I cut off the oil pipe flush with end of the cooler, and then tap it with a 3/4" npt tap for a 90* AN to npt adapter fitting. You have to take care to index the threads so the adapter points forward and down a few degrees. Sorry I don't have any photos
+Quote Post
earossi
post Oct 24 2016, 07:20 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 13,878

QUOTE(Harpo @ Oct 23 2016, 05:05 PM) *

Can you please post some photos of the oil cooler inside the engine compartment?

Thanks

David

Unfortunately, my /6 conversion is now in the hands of my son who lives in Idaho. However, Rich Johnson. who runs a cottage industry for parts to make the /6 conversion, is the inventor of the system. I've reached out to Rich for some photos. He is currently on vacation, but agreed to send me some photos when he returns, which I will then post against this thread.

The cooler works very nicely. And, as I noted above, has been running on several cars in Dallas that see some hot summers. This cooler is an auxilliary cooler that is installed in series with the engine mounted cooler. It's a nice little package with a thermostatically controlled electric fan that turns the fan "on" when the oil temps reach a determined value.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Oct 24 2016, 07:25 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 10,741

There is not a lot of room between the fitting and the body. One has to be careful! I sent mine to Rich, he knows what he's doing. That's -16 AN.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Oct 24 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Rich has my engine oil cooler as we speak, I will get it back after he comes home from vacation....
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 24 2016, 08:28 PM
Post #15

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Deleted the oil cooler but added an oil drain.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
db9146
post Oct 24 2016, 09:44 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 3,315

I sent a 911 oil cooler for another engine out to Rich about 2 weeks ago and got it back last week. Having him do it is a great way to go as 911 coolers are much less expensive and easier to find than a real 914-6 cooler.

If you haven't already cleaned down in between the fins, you might want to check. It doesn't take much oil and dust combined to build up a lot of gunk in between the fins and really affect the cooling. I bought a gallon of carb cleaner and one of the large aluminum turkey roasting pans that I formed up around the cooler to make it a little deeper. I used some silicone plugs to keep the cleaner out of the cooler and then soaked one side of the cooler and then the other (even with the pan formed closely around the cooler, the cleaner was only about 2.5" deep). It took about 45 minutes do soak both sides and then I sprayed it off well with the garden hose and then dried it with compressed air and it came out great.

Then I sent it out to Rich. He did the mod and pressure tested it. It looks great.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 25 2016, 07:53 AM
Post #17

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I have Scotty adding a drain, similar to Mark's, for my Six. Once those lines are installed and tight and non-leaking, I do not want to have to mess with them to change the oil. Plus the drain makes it easier to do this w/o making an oil spill the size of the Exon-Valdez.
+Quote Post
Cory M
post Oct 26 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 5,798

I've got an oil cooler with the Patrick conversion tube welded on already that I'm putting on the classifieds now. If you haven't modified your 911 cooler yet you could sell it and buy mine, save yourself some fabrication work.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 01:58 AM