Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Oil Cooler Mods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
I just received the PMS Oil cooler modification tube for altering my 911 cooler to adapt to the 914-6 undercarriage.

No installation information was provided with the part from Patrick so my question to the sage advisors out there is: What length tube should the addition of the PMS tube result in? Then, I assume that a 90 degree AN fitting would be used to make the turn, correct?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated prior to me making a modification to my cooler that results in a no-cooler at all condition.... confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
mb911
I know that you want to to turn 90 degrees previous to the end of the oil cooler.. Is that a -12 or -16 fitting?
Steve
It should be -16. The factory had an elbow on the end.
There is a factory one on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/262608182370?...p;ul_noapp=true

mepstein
The one on eBay isn't stock - and is way overpriced.
I would chart out your entire oil system before you start buying parts. figure out what you need your oil system to accomplish for your engine and driving and what you can afford to buy and then buy the parts. Then you might actually end up with a system where all the parts work together.
Steve
Your right!! But It does look similar. You can google it and bring up multiple images. I had a shop just weld on an AN-16 elbow to mine 30 years ago.
porschetub
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Sep 18 2016, 03:50 AM) *

I just received the PMS Oil cooler modification tube for altering my 911 cooler to adapt to the 914-6 undercarriage.

No installation information was provided with the part from Patrick so my question to the sage advisors out there is: What length tube should the addition of the PMS tube result in? Then, I assume that a 90 degree AN fitting would be used to make the turn, correct?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated prior to me making a modification to my cooler that results in a no-cooler at all condition.... confused24.gif

beerchug.gif

Running straight out of the cooler is not really an issue,PMS have done enough of these conversions the prove that,you can add sweep bend into the hose you are using anyway as you mentioned.
The original tube support on your cooler gets cut off and the conversion piece added in so the threaded end clears the end of the cooler,that gives you room to tighten the fitting.
Good luck and make sure you pick the right guy to do the welding.

earossi
I don't mean to hijack this thread,; but, my suggestion/comment has to do with coolers for /6 conversions. In the past most folks mounted an oil cooler in the front trunk so that air could be ducted to the cooler. Unfortunately, this location for an oil cooler is costly requiring that the front trunk be cut into for the ducts, and that long oil lines be routed from the engine to the new cooler location. Lastly, you end up losing trunk space for a spare tire. Not an optimum design to say the least.

A number of us have gone to small coolers with a thermostatically controlled fan. The cooler/fan package is about one foot square and about 4 inches thick. You install the fan in the engine bay using some shop fabricated brackets. The cooler cost is about $300 plus the cost to fab and install brackets. There are a number of these coolers running on motors at least as large as a 3.2 motor in Texas, the Midwest, and in the West.

Those doing a conversion should investigate this design before hacking up the trunk.

Harpo
Can you please post some photos of the oil cooler inside the engine compartment?

Thanks

David
forrestkhaag
The cooler and pipe are shown in the first post on this thread; Stock 911 w/PMS edit tube shown.

I have mapped all lines, AN fittings,thermostat, etc. and their travel pattern or locations for each piece. I have the front oil cooler installed with shroud and exhaust fan all designed and fabricated to allow my full sized spare to reside in the front trunk. After checking out Steve's 6, i know the best config for the angle on the oil cooler mod. as well as the factory setup for routing the oil lines to and from. And guess what? I can afford it. poke.gif
wndsnd
The hose that feeds under the cooler is under suction from the oil pump. Be carful of your hose bends to avoid hose collapsing.

The Patrick feed hose does just this, I am in the process of having a hose made now that has a hard bend to avoid this.

This is also the hose you want to leave a coupling in the middle to be able to drain your tank on oil changes.
Perry Kiehl Clone
If I do a conversion with AN fittings, I cut off the oil pipe flush with end of the cooler, and then tap it with a 3/4" npt tap for a 90* AN to npt adapter fitting. You have to take care to index the threads so the adapter points forward and down a few degrees. Sorry I don't have any photos
earossi
QUOTE(Harpo @ Oct 23 2016, 05:05 PM) *

Can you please post some photos of the oil cooler inside the engine compartment?

Thanks

David

Unfortunately, my /6 conversion is now in the hands of my son who lives in Idaho. However, Rich Johnson. who runs a cottage industry for parts to make the /6 conversion, is the inventor of the system. I've reached out to Rich for some photos. He is currently on vacation, but agreed to send me some photos when he returns, which I will then post against this thread.

The cooler works very nicely. And, as I noted above, has been running on several cars in Dallas that see some hot summers. This cooler is an auxilliary cooler that is installed in series with the engine mounted cooler. It's a nice little package with a thermostatically controlled electric fan that turns the fan "on" when the oil temps reach a determined value.
patssle
There is not a lot of room between the fitting and the body. One has to be careful! I sent mine to Rich, he knows what he's doing. That's -16 AN.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Rich has my engine oil cooler as we speak, I will get it back after he comes home from vacation....
mepstein
Deleted the oil cooler but added an oil drain.
db9146
I sent a 911 oil cooler for another engine out to Rich about 2 weeks ago and got it back last week. Having him do it is a great way to go as 911 coolers are much less expensive and easier to find than a real 914-6 cooler.

If you haven't already cleaned down in between the fins, you might want to check. It doesn't take much oil and dust combined to build up a lot of gunk in between the fins and really affect the cooling. I bought a gallon of carb cleaner and one of the large aluminum turkey roasting pans that I formed up around the cooler to make it a little deeper. I used some silicone plugs to keep the cleaner out of the cooler and then soaked one side of the cooler and then the other (even with the pan formed closely around the cooler, the cleaner was only about 2.5" deep). It took about 45 minutes do soak both sides and then I sprayed it off well with the garden hose and then dried it with compressed air and it came out great.

Then I sent it out to Rich. He did the mod and pressure tested it. It looks great.
Cairo94507
I have Scotty adding a drain, similar to Mark's, for my Six. Once those lines are installed and tight and non-leaking, I do not want to have to mess with them to change the oil. Plus the drain makes it easier to do this w/o making an oil spill the size of the Exon-Valdez.
Cory M
I've got an oil cooler with the Patrick conversion tube welded on already that I'm putting on the classifieds now. If you haven't modified your 911 cooler yet you could sell it and buy mine, save yourself some fabrication work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.