Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Led third brake light, Hidden led third brake light
euro911
post Sep 26 2016, 01:30 PM
Post #21

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(pvollma @ Sep 26 2016, 11:26 AM) *
It's better than nothing, it was an easy installation (already had the reflector, and the brake wiring is right there), requires no additional changes or holes drilled and, being in an unexpected location and shape, it does catch your attention. On our 914s, "higher up" is certainly a relative term! If your "SUV-driving, texting, soccer-mom" is so close that she can't see the normal brake lights, I would suggest a crash is imminent and unavoidable, no matter where the third brake light is located.
True ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JP3
post Sep 26 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #22

Jerry

Member No.: 19,035
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 26 2016, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(JP3 @ Sep 24 2016, 11:07 PM) *

I am not sure how they will hold up with the heat from the engine.

Nice setup.

I don't think heat will be an issue. LEDs like I use have a high operating temp of 100C (212F). Some other surface mount LEDs have a high operating temp of > 300F.

While running, the grill and LEDs should be relatively cool as it sucks in ambient temp air.

I am more worried about the adhesive on them that will melt and let the strips fall off onto the engine. My engine bay gets pretty warm with the small block in there.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 26 2016, 03:08 PM
Post #23

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(JP3 @ Sep 26 2016, 04:46 PM) *

I am more worried about the adhesive on them that will melt and let the strips fall off onto the engine. My engine bay gets pretty warm with the small block in there.

Good point. Is it possible to tie wrap the LEDs to something? I wouldn't trust the adhesive. At least if it falls it won't go anywhere and I doubt the engine will inhale the LED strip. Not sure about the fan though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 11:36 AM