Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Led third brake light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JP3
Not sure if anyone has tried this before but I added a third brake light using the cheap led light strips from auto zone. I tucked them under the engine lid grating.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
JustinMeier
ThinAir and his son both have them.. They looked pretty good when I was following them.
Toast
Let us know how those hold up where you install them in the engine compartment. I have some that I wanted to install. I was thinking somewhere inside near the rear window.
Would you mind posting a picture of what the install looks like in the daytime?
JP3
I am not sure how they will hold up with the heat from the engine. I have only about three hours of driving time on it so far.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
.............that's so fire-breathing engine! Where's the build thread?
beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif
euro911
Looks good aktion035.gif

I currently have an '86 Corvette 'vert' 3rd. brake light bolted down in front of the engine lid grille. It's better than not having anything, but still want to install an LED strip in the trim piece above the rear window.

IPB Image
mgp4591
Ernie and Mike have the 3rd brake light assemblies from Chevy and GMC SUVs - easy to pull in the wrecking yards and cheep. They have them bolted to the engine cover whereas Strat has his bolted to the underside of his targa bar which puts it much higher and right in your following drivers face... thinking of doing that myself. idea.gif
RickS
Added a very bright mini LED strip from Custom Dynamics which pulses 4 times and then goes solid red. Mounted under the targa bar on the outside. Obnoxious but effective. Originally saw one on a cops bike.

Click to view attachment
porschetub
Mine but in the roof ,works great,one lamp wasn't working cause it was loose in the holder easy fix. smile.gif
Click to view attachment
porschetub
Are you talking about your Large Extended Device from the back of your car or the highstop av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif ,IMO very cool shades.gif .
Elliot Cannon
Mine are mounted in the engine grill as well. They have been there about 4 years now.
N_Jay
Definitely doing this when I get it back on the road.
Also going to get a module that flashes and retriggers with g-force so people really know when you are slowing.
pvollma
QUOTE(JP3 @ Sep 24 2016, 09:36 PM) *

Not sure if anyone has tried this before but I added a third brake light using the cheap led light strips from auto zone. I tucked them under the engine lid grating.

Mine already had the center reflector strip, so I used that as the mounting location for two LED strips:
Click to view attachment
You do have to grind off the reflective backing before mounting the LEDs.
euro911
Don't take this the wrong way ... it looks nice and does add some bright RED to the tail end, but it's still at the same low elevation as the stock taillights.

I thought the whole idea was to install something up higher for better visibility - to catch the attention of those SUV-driving, texting, soccer-moms? driving-girl.gif

unsure.gif
Toast
coolpics.gif

Thanks guys!
Spoke
QUOTE(JP3 @ Sep 24 2016, 11:07 PM) *

I am not sure how they will hold up with the heat from the engine.

Nice setup.

I don't think heat will be an issue. LEDs like I use have a high operating temp of 100C (212F). Some other surface mount LEDs have a high operating temp of > 300F.

While running, the grill and LEDs should be relatively cool as it sucks in ambient temp air.
Mikey914
Had a discussion at Octeenerfest with Clay, a new easy solution is in the wind.
pvollma
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 25 2016, 10:29 PM) *

Don't take this the wrong way ... it looks nice and does add some bright RED to the tail end, but it's still at the same low elevation as the stock taillights.

I thought the whole idea was to install something up higher for better visibility - to catch the attention of those SUV-driving, texting, soccer-moms? driving-girl.gif

unsure.gif

It's better than nothing, it was an easy installation (already had the reflector, and the brake wiring is right there), requires no additional changes or holes drilled and, being in an unexpected location and shape, it does catch your attention. On our 914s, "higher up" is certainly a relative term! If your "SUV-driving, texting, soccer-mom" is so close that she can't see the normal brake lights, I would suggest a crash is imminent and unavoidable, no matter where the third brake light is located.
bandjoey
Used the glue on led strips on the roll bar chrome for about 3 years. Wiring inder the chrome. 24" of lights works great.

Not the best pic but you can see the LEDs here.
euro911
QUOTE(pvollma @ Sep 26 2016, 11:26 AM) *
It's better than nothing, it was an easy installation (already had the reflector, and the brake wiring is right there), requires no additional changes or holes drilled and, being in an unexpected location and shape, it does catch your attention. On our 914s, "higher up" is certainly a relative term! If your "SUV-driving, texting, soccer-mom" is so close that she can't see the normal brake lights, I would suggest a crash is imminent and unavoidable, no matter where the third brake light is located.
True ... agree.gif
JP3
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 26 2016, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(JP3 @ Sep 24 2016, 11:07 PM) *

I am not sure how they will hold up with the heat from the engine.

Nice setup.

I don't think heat will be an issue. LEDs like I use have a high operating temp of 100C (212F). Some other surface mount LEDs have a high operating temp of > 300F.

While running, the grill and LEDs should be relatively cool as it sucks in ambient temp air.

I am more worried about the adhesive on them that will melt and let the strips fall off onto the engine. My engine bay gets pretty warm with the small block in there.
Spoke
QUOTE(JP3 @ Sep 26 2016, 04:46 PM) *

I am more worried about the adhesive on them that will melt and let the strips fall off onto the engine. My engine bay gets pretty warm with the small block in there.

Good point. Is it possible to tie wrap the LEDs to something? I wouldn't trust the adhesive. At least if it falls it won't go anywhere and I doubt the engine will inhale the LED strip. Not sure about the fan though... beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.