Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How would you recommend painting these parts?, Suggestions wanted
oakdalecurtis
post Oct 7 2016, 05:48 PM
Post #1

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

I cleaned off the 30 years of grime from the front suspension parts. Here's pics. My plan is to put a rust inhibitor compound on the torsion bar, suspension arm and other exposed metal parts. Then I thought I would paint the torsion bar, suspension arm and tie rod a satin black, but leave the sway bar links in original metal. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but fellow members have given me good advice and ideas so far.
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
injunmort
post Oct 7 2016, 06:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

i would paint the parts that were painted. if the plating on the plated parts is compromised, you can have them replated, polish them real well and either cover with sharkskin (a metal protectant) or spray with clear laquer. the longest term solution is replating. painting or treating will require periodic reapplications to maintain.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Oct 7 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #3

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

You are definitely overthinking it. I'm sure there are more important things on your car that need attention. Parts like this don't erode away, so treat them like they came (whether that's paint or metal treatment) and move on. Focus Daniel son. There are more important things in this old girl.

+Quote Post
db9146
post Oct 7 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,315

If you are seriously considering cleaning up the area, I suggest that you take everything apart, clean and recondition each part individually, clean the fender wells with mineral spirits, and then reinstall the parts. That's what I did and it worked well.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Oct 7 2016, 07:36 PM
Post #5

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 7 2016, 05:35 PM) *

You are definitely overthinking it. I'm sure there are more important things on your car that need attention. Parts like this don't erode away, so treat them like they came (whether that's paint or metal treatment) and move on. Focus Daniel son. There are more important things in this old girl.

Ty, lol. The car has been up on jacks lately while working on wheels so I Thomas ght I would take the opportunity to clean the underside well. Small section at a time, almost done.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Oct 8 2016, 09:42 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

As db9146 said, I would take off. I had mine sand blasted and painted with Emron. very hard, looks great, new bushings going on and reinstall . Best, Mark
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Oct 8 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mlindner @ Oct 8 2016, 11:42 AM) *

As db9146 said, I would take off. I had mine sand blasted and painted with Emron. very hard, looks great, new bushings going on and reinstall . Best, Mark

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

PS: Don't mind Rand...he's just frustrated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Oct 8 2016, 11:18 AM
Post #8

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 8 2016, 10:05 AM) *

PS: Don't mind Rand...he's just frustrated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Hardly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) I guess if the rest of the car is dialed, then it comes down to this. I figure there are other things more important in most cases, that's all. I honor those who take this level of attention to detail seriously.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 8 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #9

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Check out Zero Rust paint in rattle cans. I used it on my front suspention. Very durable and a touch up doesn't require taking the car apart. Affordable. To me, P.C. Has it's drawbacks in certain applications.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:00 PM