Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How would you recommend painting these parts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
I cleaned off the 30 years of grime from the front suspension parts. Here's pics. My plan is to put a rust inhibitor compound on the torsion bar, suspension arm and other exposed metal parts. Then I thought I would paint the torsion bar, suspension arm and tie rod a satin black, but leave the sway bar links in original metal. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but fellow members have given me good advice and ideas so far.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
injunmort
i would paint the parts that were painted. if the plating on the plated parts is compromised, you can have them replated, polish them real well and either cover with sharkskin (a metal protectant) or spray with clear laquer. the longest term solution is replating. painting or treating will require periodic reapplications to maintain.
Rand
You are definitely overthinking it. I'm sure there are more important things on your car that need attention. Parts like this don't erode away, so treat them like they came (whether that's paint or metal treatment) and move on. Focus Daniel son. There are more important things in this old girl.

db9146
If you are seriously considering cleaning up the area, I suggest that you take everything apart, clean and recondition each part individually, clean the fender wells with mineral spirits, and then reinstall the parts. That's what I did and it worked well.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 7 2016, 05:35 PM) *

You are definitely overthinking it. I'm sure there are more important things on your car that need attention. Parts like this don't erode away, so treat them like they came (whether that's paint or metal treatment) and move on. Focus Daniel son. There are more important things in this old girl.

Ty, lol. The car has been up on jacks lately while working on wheels so I Thomas ght I would take the opportunity to clean the underside well. Small section at a time, almost done.
mlindner
As db9146 said, I would take off. I had mine sand blasted and painted with Emron. very hard, looks great, new bushings going on and reinstall . Best, Mark
Cracker
QUOTE(mlindner @ Oct 8 2016, 11:42 AM) *

As db9146 said, I would take off. I had mine sand blasted and painted with Emron. very hard, looks great, new bushings going on and reinstall . Best, Mark

agree.gif

PS: Don't mind Rand...he's just frustrated. piratenanner.gif
Rand
QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 8 2016, 10:05 AM) *

PS: Don't mind Rand...he's just frustrated. piratenanner.gif

Hardly. tongue.gif I guess if the rest of the car is dialed, then it comes down to this. I figure there are other things more important in most cases, that's all. I honor those who take this level of attention to detail seriously.
rhodyguy
Check out Zero Rust paint in rattle cans. I used it on my front suspention. Very durable and a touch up doesn't require taking the car apart. Affordable. To me, P.C. Has it's drawbacks in certain applications.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.