Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heater blower indicator light wiring help, Trying to repair center console/heater ind. light shorted/fried wire
brownaar
post Oct 10 2016, 06:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,813
Region Association: None

Trying to repair something I cut out that had previously shorted and fried. I am getting ready to add back the heater blower indicator light after a carpet install. First picture is what I have currently concerning the factory wiring for the center console. As you can see one wire is missing next to the red/white wire. I'm pretty sure it should be the black/blue wire that I had to cut out and currently have the wire nut on.
Attached Image

Is my thinking correct in this diagram about how to re-wire things?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Oct 10 2016, 06:53 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 805

You might want to look at the wiring diagrams at Pelicanparts for help with this:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm

At the risk of hijacking your question, I have a question about the heater blower indicator, too. From what I can see, despite the presence of a socket on the heater control panel for the heater indicator, that on a 1970 914, there is no wiring for an indicator light. There is a fresh air blower light. Is that correct?
+Quote Post
brownaar
post Oct 10 2016, 07:06 PM
Post #3

Brad,
Not sure about your question. There is a fresh air blower light that comes on when you slide the switch for the 3-speed fresh air blower to any of the 3 speeds. I do not know of any other indicator lights on the dashboard ventilation controls. I am trying to sort out the indicator light that sits right behind the shifter for the heater blower. I have all those diagrams in my factory manuals. I am talking about #96 on Electrical Diagram 1973 Part II, listed as Illumination for heating lever on the legend. This diagram does show a black/blue wire going to the console gauges and the indicator light, I'm just trying to remember how it actually is wired. I have seen some other drawings/photos, but the wire colors differ. The others have had gray wires paired with the red/white in the one particular plug.
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Oct 10 2016, 07:37 PM
Post #4

Aaron, you've got a center console, right? I know it has an indicator as you describe, and I think my suggestion of looking at the wiring diagrams is useless, because they don't include the center console wiring. Looking at the fresh air blower indicator, it's in the current path to the control side of the relay, so I assume that's where you want the light for the heater blower, too. A DMM is your best friend here.
+Quote Post
brownaar
post Oct 11 2016, 10:15 AM
Post #5

Brad, I do not have a center console.

Here's my next question. Did any cars without a center console come with one of these. Paternie's book mentions having to remove it as one of the steps for installing a center console in a car that doesn't have one.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
brownaar
post Oct 11 2016, 10:23 AM
Post #6

Sorry, just read the pelican article which answers my last question. It shows removing one of these to do a center console install. Now if I can figure out my wiring question.
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Oct 11 2016, 11:00 AM
Post #7

Does anyone know if the early cars (mine's a '70) had this indicator? I don't have one.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jun 7 2017, 08:15 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(brownaar @ Oct 11 2016, 10:15 AM) *

Attached Image

Isn't this switch only for cars with rear window defroster glass (which is rare).
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jun 7 2017, 06:22 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 7 2017, 07:15 AM) *

QUOTE(brownaar @ Oct 11 2016, 10:15 AM) *

Attached Image

Isn't this switch only for cars with rear window defroster glass (which is rare).

No.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 7 2017, 10:47 PM
Post #10

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

It is not just for cars with the rear window defroster.

There is a light that goes in there on both center-console and non-center-console cars.

I don't know if early cars didn't have a light socket in there or not.

The light is hooked up to the instrument illumination lights, and will be on any time they are. That's what the black/blue wire carries--instrument illumination power. The light has nothing to do with whether the heater blower is running or not.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 11:47 AM