Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 154 155 156 157 158 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post Nov 10 2020, 06:40 PM
Post #3101

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Aaaaaaaaand, there's the horribly rough cut hole. Let me remind you that this hood was tweaked and had a ton of bondo on it already.

DISCLAIMER: No nice hood was harmed in the making of this proof of concept. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Back to the serious stuff: It looks like the resulting airway may actually work.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 10 2020, 06:45 PM
Post #3102

914 Guru

Next, I cut the hole on the other side. New in this pic is that after reviewing Tony's design, I noticed I'd not accounted for the .375-ish reveal at the back of the headlight and up the edge of the hood. Here's the comparison.
I'm with Tony and will be adding the reveal, as pictured on the passenger side.

This is also a benefit in that it moves that side of the opening in .375 and gives me a bit more flexibility in terms of what I can do to remove parts of the support structure to gain more vent opening area.

Then it was "tape up the center vent" in preparation for road testing to see if this design flows adequately.

I need to point out that up to this point, my cooling system has over performed. The car struggles to get to temp. So much so that my next step is to remove the thermostat and run the electric water pump with the ECU. I'll spin it not at all (or very slowly) at start up, and ramp it up as the temp climbs. The ECU does this via PWM (pulse width modulation) signal and can run the radiator fans the same way. I can program the pump and the fans to do exactly what's needed. It's just a matter of understanding what that is... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ri914
post Nov 10 2020, 06:51 PM
Post #3103

Member No.: 24,593
Region Association: North East States

Very Nice, I am going to be cutting my hood soon for an exhaust for the fans. I like seeing new ideas. Not sure what I am going to do. I did learn that when cutting a hood you quickly see what existing bracing was working and what is not. Took me an entire day to fix a 10 minute sawzall blast.

I was thinking about making 1 vent at the top near the windshield but I like the 2 side vent idea you created. I dont have much landscape with my new fenders though.

My radiator has a temp guage in it which kicks on my fans and the engine temp decides how fast to fun the electric pump. If you have any questions I can ask my friend that programmed it for me, he is very good with the GM engines and ecu stuff. how close is your water pump plate to your firewall?
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 10 2020, 06:53 PM
Post #3104

914 Guru

Here's Tony's original design sketch, just so you don't have to go looking.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Nov 10 2020, 06:55 PM
Post #3105

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 10 2020, 04:27 PM) *

@markhoward has agreed to take my car for a test drive (hopefully tomorrow!) and report back if the pedal feel meets his high standards. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Thanks Mark!

Why didn't you say something. i would be glad to help out! Oh wait, you wanted high standards... nevermind.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 10 2020, 06:57 PM
Post #3106

914 Guru

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Nov 10 2020, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 10 2020, 04:27 PM) *

@markhoward has agreed to take my car for a test drive (hopefully tomorrow!) and report back if the pedal feel meets his high standards. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Thanks Mark!

Why didn't you say something. i would be glad to help out! Oh wait, you wanted high standards... nevermind.

@Dan10101 - If only it had been ready for that when you were here... Your experience with LS power would have been great to have. You could always come back down!
+Quote Post
ri914
post Nov 10 2020, 07:00 PM
Post #3107

Member No.: 24,593
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 10 2020, 07:53 PM) *

Here's Tony's original design sketch, just so you don't have to go looking.

What is the rectangular mark on the passenger fender? matching air ducts for brakes?

very nice...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 10 2020, 07:01 PM
Post #3108

914 Guru

And as always, I'll do the full transparency thing. Here's my initial effort at a vent design.
I'm trying to reuse my center vent "bendy vent panel" design and adapt it to this new shape. Obviously quite a way to go and there are a couple challenging areas so final outcome is TBD, but you get an idea of how my pointed little head approaches this sort of part. At least so far.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
djway
post Nov 10 2020, 08:45 PM
Post #3109

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

BigKat once told me that the air inlet to his radiator was the size of the 6 cylinder oil cooler opening. LS motors just seem to run cooler. Hot air is approximately 1.7 times the cool volume so math at your most restrictive point.
Looking at the rest of the car I have no doubt it will look cool.
Love it.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 11 2020, 07:16 AM
Post #3110

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Chris- I really like the new design. I just could not warm up to the center vent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 11 2020, 10:01 AM
Post #3111

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I like it!

I think if you ran JUST this it would be fine. If you ran both this and the fender vents it would be double fine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 11 2020, 01:20 PM
Post #3112

914 Guru

I worked up version 1 of the vent design. As usual, I'll need to see these on the car and adjust from there, as needed.
Yes, I know I can't tip all the vents into position, given the current opening but this will give me the physical model I need to noodle through exactly what I need to do to make this work.
I'll cut one side, tweak until I'm happy, then apply the final (ha!) changes to the other side.
Ultimately, I'll use a fiberglass or carbon hood where it's far easier to cut/change the support structure to resolve any clearance challenges.
Another BIG thanks again to Tony @RetroRacer for suggesting this design.

Pics of one of these in metal this afternoon, if all goes to plan.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 11 2020, 01:23 PM
Post #3113

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 11 2020, 05:16 AM) *

Chris- I really like the new design. I just could not warm up to the center vent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

@Cairo94507 Michael - Yep, me neither. But building all those center vents was a great experience and skill builder for me. Chalk it up to "more learning". Fingers crossed that the "TonyVents" are to my liking. So far, the design feels like a winner.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 11 2020, 01:44 PM
Post #3114

914 Guru

QUOTE(ri914 @ Nov 10 2020, 05:00 PM) *

What is the rectangular mark on the passenger fender? matching air ducts for brakes?
very nice...

Attached Image

That was me trying to thinking about trying to channel @OptimusGlen and copy his wonderful fender vent design, pic attached. If I end up with the TonyVents (tm!) on the hood, I'm not sure Glen's design are complimentary, uber cool though they may be.

Lots still up in the air, pending if I can pull off any of this.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 11 2020, 10:41 PM
Post #3115

914 Guru

Version 1 of the vent panels. As usual, seeing it "in the metal" and on the car lets me start to understand what I like, what I don't, what may change, etc., etc...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 11 2020, 10:47 PM
Post #3116

914 Guru

And here's the actual first one I cut. I measured one angle incorrectly and realized another needed to be changed. But that didn't prevent me from bending the vents into position to get a bit better feel for the look.

My first reaction was that it looks maybe a little "heavy" and that perhaps resizing the height of the vents (using more of them in the same space) would be worth a go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

As always, it's a work in progress that will likely see a few more versions, up to and including a completely different approach. Yep, same ol', same ol' from me.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 12 2020, 09:07 AM
Post #3117

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 11 2020, 08:47 PM) *

And here's the actual first one I cut. I measured one angle incorrectly and realized another needed to be changed. But that didn't prevent me from bending the vents into position to get a bit better feel for the look.

My first reaction was that it looks maybe a little "heavy" and that perhaps resizing the height of the vents (using more of them in the same space) would be worth a go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

As always, it's a work in progress that will likely see a few more versions, up to and including a completely different approach. Yep, same ol', same ol' from me.

They do look a bit thick. Maybe another 30% thinner?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 12 2020, 10:35 AM
Post #3118

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I agree with Andrew on that. The vents need to be scaled down in size and maybe add a couple more to make them fit the space? But I like where this is headed for sure.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Nov 12 2020, 11:01 AM
Post #3119

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

A little thinner on the individual vents but other than that, you nailed it.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 12 2020, 11:21 AM
Post #3120

914 Guru

@Andyrew @AZBanks @Cairo94507
Yep, I've got a newer, slimmer, improved version partly done. And I'm thinking maybe narrow up the frame. It's 1" as is, maybe take it down to .75?
Make everything a bit less "tough" looking?

The other thing I messed with that I like is the scree/mesh look. Clearly, the shape of the opening would need to be other than what's shown here, more like the sharpied size but with the same corner detail as the vents?

I will say that to me, this look is more elegant, more sophisticated than the vents. I could use the same material on the hood, front bumper opening and GT lid to drive some continuity.

The cool thing is "it's just a hood". I could make a couple different ones, just like the fire wall access panel, and swap looks as I wanted to.

Just more to consider. Ain't custom fab stuff a gas? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 154 155 156 157 158 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 09:43 AM