Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2017 Build-Off Challenge - OFFICIAL CONTEST THREAD, Race to "914 Day"
stevegm
post Oct 31 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 31 2016, 07:31 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 17 2016, 03:29 PM) *

Hmmm, I could use a new welding jacket...

I quit!

(Kidding! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) )

I never did find out who gets the scarlet letter jacket. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Who was the official winner, or should I ask who was the official loser. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I thought I sent it to you. I'll PM when I get home.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Oct 31 2016, 06:11 PM
Post #22

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

October Update
Build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=227430

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
1. Took a picture of me and cleaned off the car (lame, I know and I still need a higher-quality one). It had ~ 2 years of storage on top of it which is all gone now

2. Added sway bar into suspension model.

3. Started engine disassembly. Removed and disassembled intake manifold. Started gutting TGVs (tumble generating valves).

CHALLENGES
Time! October/November are tough time months since most of the conference deadlines for me are in December. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

VENDORS
None this month...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 31 2016, 07:23 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Don't forget to post updates for October. Since it is halloween, and we just started the Challenge two weeks ago, we aren't going to hold anybody to having to post their first update before November 1st. But, let's get them posted this week, and we will start official update deadlines for November.
+Quote Post
Mitox
post Oct 31 2016, 08:02 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 19,302

OK, an introduction is in order:

This is a 1976 914 that is/was originally ivory white.

Link to build thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2397587

My goals are:
- complete the body prep, strip the underside, repaint and undercoat.
- upgrade the front suspension to 911 5 lug
- upgrade the rear to 5 lug and 911 parking brakes
- install 3.2 from '88 911
- reinstall original interior; I'll tackle a new interior later
- dream of other upgrades and make a very long list

About me:
Name- Michael Todd
I live in Southwestern Virginia and am married with one daughter in college, and a son and daughter in high school. This is my first 914; I've been planning this project for the last 15 years after I sold my first Porsche, a 1969 912 ( wish I still had it). I've debated between an all original 2.0 and a GT tribute settling on the latter. I purchased the car late last year with metal flares installed, though they needed a lot of work to correct the installation before the real fun could start. I'm looking forward to the work to come, and especially to driving the GT next fall through the Virginia mountains.

I'll post a few progress pics in a day or two; I'm expecting rapid change over the next few months.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
3d914
post Oct 31 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

3d914 - 914 SHO Build / October Update

Build Thread: Challenge 2017 starts on page 25

Accomplishments:
Working mostly in the Rear Trunk and Body Panel areas. The air box has been mocked up in cardboard and test fit. I now have the dimensions to begin the framework design that support the air box. I've decided to combine the hinge framework with the air box framework, and already started the design work. I have a metal supplier in Tucson who will cut the framework pieces for me from the CAD data - which will be faster than me attempting it by hand.

Rear firewall section is welded in. It's now ready for primer and seam sealer. Just have to wait till I get design work done and pieces ordered.

Started the cleanup in both rear quarters and flares to get the cut-out panels back in. Got the right side panel clamped in- ready for welding. The left side flare has been cleaned and just waiting for panel cement. I'll be fitting and cutting the left side patch panel this week.

Challenges:
Figuring out the modifications needed for the Mini hinges. Found a used set on ebay and was able to get dimensions off them. I can even retain the mounting bracket. Once I got the dimensions in CAD I was able to verify the movement of the trunk and the hinge to ensure no interference.

Vendor support this month: None

Pictures:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1477964717.png)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1476579017.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1477098332.jpg)

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 31 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Don't forget to post updates for October. Since it is halloween, and we just started the Challenge two weeks ago, we aren't going to hold anybody to having to post their first update before November 1st. But, let's get them posted this week, and we will start official update deadlines for November.
+Quote Post
Garland
post Oct 31 2016, 09:56 PM
Post #27

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

October Update: Michigan Build

Michigan Build 2017 Link (takes you to pg:6)

2017 Build progress :

Starting with the interior. The goal here is, improve the sound system, and add some comfort, plus a few small things along the way like the new fuse panel, sound padding, and dash layout. In addition I have never taken care of the floor pan. I removed the tar padding, and worked on the dash a bit.

Overall I want to keep it "clean" less is more. I have loved the simple dash design from the first time I saw it. That was a '70 basic, not even a fog lamp switch.

Removed some Plasti-dip, peel off paint.

Unexpected challenges:

Removing Plasti-Dip from primed parts of the body work, little bit at a time.

I have removed this material before, and a heat gun works best. warm it up, and scrape it off. In some spots it will lift off like a sheet. In others it may pop up due to rust. I found that this time it took a lot of effort to remove. It get tougher with age, the tar not me. : ) Some rust spots, and seems to repair. More surface rust then I thought would be there. This will pay off on my satisfaction meter when done.

I also found that with the radio, and glove box removed, theres a lot of space there. I would like to keep the sub, but not the center console. Built a trail foam board box. More to come on this.

Vendors:

Not this month, but carpet from 914 rubber is on my mind.

Progress Pictures:

Heres a few shots. See the Build link for more, and the whole story. Thanks for the look.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Michigan Build 2016 Link pg: 1-5
+Quote Post
CAMshaft
post Nov 1 2016, 08:04 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 20,433

Build Thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=297659

The theme for October was to inventory my new purchase, familiarize myself with the breed and make a loose plan. I wasn't initially going to do the build challenge thinking that I didn't want to rush or make hasty decisions based on a contest. Giving it more thought I figured I'm going to be doing the work anyway and since there will be a captive audience I'm bound to get more input and it just sounds like fun.

Challenges

So far has been educating myself on all aspects of the car and motor which has been rewarding but mentally strenuous bordering on information overload. Another challenge is space. I needed to be more efficient with storage of bikes, sports equipment etc. in a single car garage.

Progress

Take motor down to short block
Begin tear down to body-in-white
Build a 8'X2' workbench with a lower shelf to hold 914 related stuff
Organize the shop
Learn about the car
Identify vendors
Start a shopping list
Get everything in order for the challenge (picture folder, 914-world login)

Vendors

Lowes

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The craftsmanship of this job is just impeccable.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Nov 1 2016, 08:37 AM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

October Update

Challenges
Sick Sick Sick: Biggest challenge thus far is me and my family have been sick as dogs for the past 4+ weeks. I'm starting week 3 and my wife and 2YO have been sick for 4-5 week. Makes working on a car project take a back seat for a bit.

But we were able to do a little engine work to get it ready to take to my builder friend.

Progress
- I was able to get the CIS system off the donor motor, with the help of my little one.
- I got the following over to my engine/trans builder friend to give it a once over and start assessing the damage ($$$).
o - 2.7 Engine
o - 901 side-shift transmission - to asses the condition if it can handle a /6
o - Webber 40 cabs, manifolds, airbox
o - 3-bearing SC grind cams from Elgin
o - stock /6 oil cooler to be cleaned and pressure tested
o - early /6 flywheel for conversion

- Basically I sent some stuff off to have done and hope it won't break the budget already (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
- Bought some stuff....I'm really good at that
o - Bought new door cards from 914 rubber
o - Put my deposit on the new 914/6 heat exchangers being made by mb911
o - Much more buying and sorting of stuff already bought to come (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Vendors
- 914 rubber has been great as always
- mb911 has been great thus far, his progress on the heater boxes is great!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dion
post Nov 1 2016, 09:04 AM
Post #30

RN

Member No.: 2,766

Ok. So a tardy pic from October & a current one. Work and family
duty didn't give me much time in garage this past weekend.
Started removing welds on sail and left rear quarter panel.
I did receive parts from Restoration Design last week
as I posted in my "2.4 project thread"
Removed boot lid for better access. It needs a respray anyway.
Fair warning if ya still have torsion bars connected and you remove that rear boot lid.
Those hinges have plenty of force to move without weight on them. And can do bodily harm. Don't ask how I found out. Don't do things when your tired.
I zip tied them in closed position.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Dion
post Nov 1 2016, 09:08 AM
Post #31

RN

Everything's out. Battery tray area & hell hole are just fine.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Nov 1 2016, 10:59 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

Some great work taking place already on this 2017 Challenge. I'll certainly watch with anticipation of who'll be next years winner.

Good luck guy's

Regards
Darren

Steve, just a quick bump....it's November now and I still haven't had my 2016 Challengers Tee shirt, despite asking numerous times now????
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post Nov 1 2016, 11:25 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

Well nothing has happened and no recent pictures of the car I will post later, sorry I have been in England visiting me mum so have had no time
What am I going to do when I finally get my act together?

Install 2,2 six
Electrics for engine convertion
Make oil tank.
Make engine tins
Make steel roof
Make body reinforcements
Make heat exchanger boxes around headers
Install flares if I can afford it

So far got Mad dog engine mount and MSN headers, also a TIG welder but I need to practice. I plan to make the oil tank from aluminium so the TIG is ACDC its second hand unit without too many frills but it works good
I am trying to sell my engine its still in the car so I can show and start it if I ever get a buyer. This is holding me up a bit.

The roof is a big job, if anyone has some good pics or advice on making the roof then please get in touch. I have looked at Chris Foleys steel roof pics on FB, like I said its a big job for someone with my skill level but I am going to do (attempt) it. This will mean investing in an English wheel?
I will start on the roof as I can do this with the engine in.

I should mention that I have already done a 5 lug and 911 handbrake conversion, backdated bumpers the car is a 76, Installed GT6 front calipers and 911 rear callipers vented discs and 19mm MS. I dont think there's to much rust as I have allready done repairs and the car was in good condition, but time will tell.

Wish me luck

+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Nov 1 2016, 12:50 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

Ocotober 2016 Update:

Link to my build: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=206845

Accomplishments:

Well I finished reinforcing the longs with my truss design. I also added the rear firewall truss connecting the two truss longs at the rear firewall. This will give me greatly increased torsional rigidity.

Goal for November:

Complete tube frame and install 996 suspension. Extending the wheelbase BTW.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Nov 1 2016, 05:03 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 1,179
Region Association: None

Ok. Finally an intro
Attached Image

Here is the crew. Many of you know Hugh from Okteenerfest. Gretta is my girl. She likes to help on the car also, but we have not done much lately. Amy (wife) took the picture.

My car is a 74 2l 4 cylinder. Marathon Blue Metallic
We live in Marion NC not far from Banner Elk where Okteenerfest was for the last two years.

Unfortunately I was unable to finish in the last challenge, but if I can only get past this quarter panel problem, I feel like I can make some real progress. I have just about everything to do to my car. I have already done a lot of the metal work, but I still have to finish the seat mount install, fix a small rust hole, trunk lid hinge points and pass rear quarter panel. Then all I have left is everything else! I plan to get the car stripped, then paint it myself, recondition/replace everything and install it. The motor has been mostly built for about 10 years and on an engine stand. I still need to sort out a transmission, all the suspension bits, brakes....
October update:
I have not done anything this month, at least nothing that you can see. But Have already started for November!

+Quote Post
Dion
post Nov 6 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #36

RN

November update:
As I posted on my build thread, I've removed the rear quarter. Well the hits keep coming... removed some of the undercoat on susp. console. Surprise! A hole (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
It is very satisfying however to know that once all this bodywork
is addressed there are never anymore questions about its integrity. I always knew
the left side of the car was questionable. As a novice to this car hobby I dropped
some serious $ having the right long. & battery tray,etc. taken care of. It was done
correctly by a pro resto shop. No worries on that side.
So it's up to me to shore up this left side. So basically not to bore any more
most of the next weeks is cutting and grinding. Nothing glamorous or innovative.
I did however receive some pretty trinkets from PMB!
Thanks Eric & co.!

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Dion
post Nov 6 2016, 06:37 PM
Post #37

RN

Console

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jasons
post Nov 6 2016, 10:06 PM
Post #38

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

Ok, so I'm a late entrant to the build off...

About Me
This is my 4th 914, its a 1975, I also currently own a 73 2.0 that's a great driver. The 75 has been a project for too long. A lot of the hard stuff is done and it's pretty far along, but I need to get it over the hump. Since I'm getting a late start I haven't worked on the car since the build off launched. But, my first order of business will be finishing the Engman long kit I've started to install.

Build thread coming....

About my car
Whats done
Rust repair is done. This includes the rear trunk, hell hole, firewall, some small patches in the longs.
PO, cut a big hole in the front bulkhead for a fuel cell. I welded in a bulkhead cut from a donor car.
Repaired an AC hole in the front trunk. Left partially open for the front oil cooler.
Cleaned up a dirty cut for the front oil cooler from PO.
Fiberglass flares fit to be bolted on.
Fiberglass lids fit
Front Fiberglass bumper fit
Fiberglass rockers fit
Cibie Iode 45 fogs/custom brackets bolted on.
2270 motor built
Trans rebuilt
Engman long kit partially installed

To be done
Finish Engman kit install
Fix fit on rear fiberglass bumper
Get body work ready for paint
Get car to paint and body
Install 5 lug conversion and Fuchs
A whole bunch of assembly
Drive it.

The project (try to look past the ride height)
Attached Image

The project with the driver
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Garland
post Nov 26 2016, 01:05 PM
Post #39

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

November Update: Michigan Build

Michigan Build 2017 Link

2017 Build progress :

Well on the floor got all the tar off, and found more decay. Imagine that! The pedals were functioning fine, but was sure there could be a concern under there. After removing the under panel to access the pedal mount nuts, and the linkages, and two interior floor mount nuts. Surprise, rust and junk. Ill rebuild the pedal cluster later, but finished the floor, and patched or repaired the damaged spots. Also rust inhibitor on the surface spots. Primer done, and the proper sealer, and Im ready for some sound deadining material next.

Unexpected challenges:

Still removing Plasti-Dip from primed parts of the body work, little bit at a time.

Vendors:

Local hardware, and off my shelf.

Progress Pictures:

Heres a few shots. See the Build link for more, and the whole story. Thanks for the look.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Nov 27 2016, 05:42 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 1,179

November update:
Welding the pass rear quarter on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

Also started to clean up the suspension....

Found a few issues:

Attached Image

Attached Image

No professional help (God knows I need it)
No vendors yet, but getting close!
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:29 AM