Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mid Rise Scissor Lift, Anyone have one by Atlas?
Harpo
post Oct 29 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,469
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mlindner @ Oct 29 2016, 02:33 PM) *

Hi David, no, no need for that. The base for the lift (slab) is so stable, maybe five times needed. The six inch poor on compacted sand is enough to lift a commercial truck. I can give you a little schematic of the cement layout if you want. Best, Mark

Yes please Mark.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Oct 29 2016, 07:36 PM
Post #22

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've been shopping for a used one for a year. I'm in the $1k range and they're not popping up in the DFW market.

The PIT looks like a good idea ... but hard work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 29 2016, 08:24 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Oct 29 2016, 08:43 PM) *

Maybe we should do a group buy or something to get a price break ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I would be in.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Oct 30 2016, 07:49 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hope this works, again this schematic is for my BenPak, but is the same size as most. Best, MarkAttached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Oct 30 2016, 09:04 AM
Post #25

Justinp71, back to your question. Looked over the Atlas site...It just seams odd to have the lift going in the other direction in regards to the weight of the car either being in the front or rear, lift would not extend to front or rear for stability. Just FYI, Mark
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Oct 31 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,922

Thanks for the input guys! I have some thinking to do. I don't know how well my original option will work as I think you need another 1 1/2" to fit in the lifting blocks. I'll have to do some measuring.

I like the hole in the floor idea, but that might be a little too much work for me right now.
+Quote Post
913B
post Nov 3 2016, 10:06 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 3,983

As a follow up to my own question regarding a GB. I contacted Greg Smith equipment and inquired about it. I think if we had a central location where GS could unload all the lifts at one place we would have more bargaining power but I know everyone is all over the U.S. When I told him that, GS only able to offer $50 off for the lift, better than nothing right ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If anyone is interested PM me and I can provide the contact information for GS.

Now the question is which one, after thinking maybe I don't need the open center one for the additional $$, how often would I drop an exhaust or really do a trans job I ask myself. So I am leaning towards the MR06 and TD6MR I believe the difference is you get a set of truck adapters for the TD6MR, chime in if I am wrong ?

As far as installation goes, I would need to hire electrician to upgrade the garage breaker and ensure the wiring can handle the current, anything else I miss to consider ??

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 3 2016, 10:34 AM
Post #28

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I agree that $50 is better than nothing. However, did they give you an idea of what it would be if they dropped them all off in one location? Perhaps that discount might make it feasible to them have them shipped from there, to the purchaser's home, and save even more? I was thinking drop them all at a freight facility where they could then be re-shipped....

For me, the $50 would not get me to buy right now. I am still a year or so away from doing my garage.

Shameless distraction: I just dropped some decent money to do area drains, french drains and tight lines around my home. .5 acre, so not real bad, but that would have done my garage remodel, including the in-ground lift and porcelain tile floor, for sure. On the upside now, when it is pouring here, my wife is laughing at me as I stand in the rain looking at the water flow into the big cement drain that was installed in this property, along with the other homes on my street, when they were built. It really is cool to see all that water being handled correctly instead of pooling on the property. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Nov 3 2016, 11:16 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 3,459

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Nov 3 2016, 08:06 AM) *

So I am leaning towards the MR06 and TD6MR I believe the difference is you get a set of truck adapters for the TD6MR, chime in if I am wrong ?

I am in also considering the same two models. There are several differences besides the truck adapters which I wouldn’t need.

The other differences between them are (65” length/ 36 max. height without extensions for MR-06) and (82” length/ 47 max. height without extensions for TD6MR) and the MR-06 only has three locking positions and the TD6MR has 7 locking positions which might be nice.

I am really interested in getting one of these two models within a week or so.

Jeff B
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Nov 3 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #30

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(jkb944t @ Nov 3 2016, 12:16 PM) *

So I am leaning towards the MR06 and TD6MR I believe the difference is you get a set of truck adapters for the TD6MR, chime in if I am wrong ?

I am in also considering the same two models. There are several differences besides the truck adapters which I wouldn’t need.

The other differences between them are (65” length/ 36 max. height without extensions for MR-06) and (82” length/ 47 max. height without extensions for TD6MR) and the MR-06 only has three locking positions and the TD6MR has 7 locking positions which might be nice.

I am really interested in getting one of these two models within a week or so.

Jeff B

I have the TD6MR and love it. It is nice not only for working under the car, but inside also. I hurt my back last year and working on my car and parting others with was nice to have the different locking positions. When I was doing interior stuff I could get he car waist high and not have to bend so far to do carpets and such.

I have had my lift close to 6+ years now and it is by far one of the best investments I have made for doing "car stuff" in my garage.
+Quote Post
quadracerx
post Nov 8 2016, 09:37 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 6,366
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I also have a mid rise lift.. Ive owned it for a couple years now but haven't used it yet...

I built stepped ramps so there is clearance to adjust and lift the car BUT need to make the "centers between the wheels removable" after the car is in proper position..

But, these things are VERY heavy and not as easily moved as one would expect...

Thanks...

Steve
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Nov 16 2016, 05:13 PM
Post #32

As a follow up to my own question regarding a GB. I contacted Greg Smith equipment and inquired about it. I think if we had a central location where GS could unload all the lifts at one place we would have more bargaining power but I know everyone is all over the U.S. When I told him that, GS only able to offer $50 off for the lift, better than nothing right ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If anyone is interested PM me and I can provide the contact information for GS.

Now the question is which one, after thinking maybe I don't need the open center one for the additional $$, how often would I drop an exhaust or really do a trans job I ask myself. So I am leaning towards the MR06 and TD6MR I believe the difference is you get a set of truck adapters for the TD6MR, chime in if I am wrong ?

As far as installation goes, I would need to hire electrician to upgrade the garage breaker and ensure the wiring can handle the current, anything else I miss to consider ??

Ordered my TD6MR today so should have it either by Friday or Monday. Thanks for getting us the $50 dollar discount. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Jeff B
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 16 2016, 07:45 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

Per Garrold's recommendation, I also purchased one from Greg Smith Equipment a little over a year ago. Making the ramps was easy and mine can be easily moved away if needed. I just wish I had gotten one years ago!Attached Image
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Nov 28 2016, 12:04 PM
Post #34

I got my TD6MR lift from Greg Smith Equip. last week and had it delivered to work. Thanks again “porsche913b” for getting us the $50 discount.

Attached Image

I used the forklift to load it into my trailer and backed it into the garage. I used my tractor to pull it out of the trailer enough to get three jacks under the skid and lower it to the floor.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I then used a steel bar to slide it slightly off the skid and then used the jacks to lift it off of the skid.

Attached Image

I built the ramps using one sheet of plywood and two layers of 2x4’s and they are a total of 14’ long. I started with just one layer of 2x4’s but it was just a little too low since my car is lower than shock. At some point I would like to sink it into the garage floor but this will work for now.

Attached Image

As everyone has said previously I really wish I had bought this a long time ago since it works fantastic for my 914.

Unfortunately the arms aren’t long enough to use it on my wife’s 2008 A6 so I am going to have to figure something out to make it work for her car. I didn’t have time to check if it would work for my S5 or Cayman S yet but whatever I figure out for the A6 should work on all of my cars eventually.

Jeff B
+Quote Post
913B
post Nov 28 2016, 12:44 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 3,983

That looks like some task (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I don't have nearly all the resources to move and unpack that thing. I guess it will depend how creative I get. I wonder when they deliver would they have some pallet jack or something so I can drag it in my garage at least.

How do I know if my garage outlets are able to handle the lift. Did you have an electrician buddy check the installation ?

Thanks for follow up Jeff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
larryM
post Nov 28 2016, 09:21 PM
Post #36

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

consider this alternative - MaxJax - a lot less install work and lifts 48" - easy R&R 914 engine-trans - mine was $1900 delivered

- and - it unbolts & gets out the the way when you want the space for other things - no forklifts required

you can come look at mine & try it at zip 95635 (40 miles away from Justin)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Dec 2 2016, 06:27 AM
Post #37

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

I do not want to hi-jack this thread, I think it is suitable info/questions related to the topic.

Interesting post, since I was looking to find info on a tilting lift and wanted to find out if they are suitable for 914's. The ones shown are a bit similair to what I was looking at, but slightly different.
Can we use a small Tilting lift on our 914's ? Or will 914's not like the place on the car they are lifted with this ? Right now I use the donuts to jack up the car, but this would help me a lot if this was possible.
It is a lift like this:
Attached Image

it is really low when 'at rest' and does not take up a lot of space (measurements are in mm, millimeters)
Attached Image

a similair thing in action (nice relaxing music in the background)
https://youtu.be/vQT1-EibbbE

I understand there are better alternatives than this, just wanted to hear if this was usable or not because of the way it lifts the car.
Thanks for your advice or opinion.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Dec 2 2016, 06:38 AM
Post #38

Wiring is just 110, 20amp breaker using #12 wire with ground. Petty standard for most garages, or easy to run external with schedule 40 pvc over drywall or panelling. Best, Mark
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Dec 8 2016, 04:22 PM
Post #39

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

A small bump to see if you have an opinion on my post above
" Can we use a small Tilting lift on our 914's ?"
It might be a great christmas present in case it is suitable for 914's.
thanks for your feedback.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 8 2016, 07:53 PM
Post #40

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Dec 8 2016, 02:22 PM) *

A small bump to see if you have an opinion on my post above
" Can we use a small Tilting lift on our 914's ?"
It might be a great christmas present in case it is suitable for 914's.
thanks for your feedback.

My arm would give out cranking that thing.
Observations
-Floor jack and jack stands would be quicker and easier.
-I don't see any locking mechanism. I wouldn't get under that thing.

With an Electric hydraulic scissor lift, its a push of a button, locks in various heights and goes up to 4 feet high. Even with my low ceiling garage, I can roll around under my car with a garage stool on wheels. No more rolling around on my back working on the car.

I have a bendback scissor lift. Got it for $1200.00 before steel prices went up, many years ago. Best investment i ever made as a car hobbyist. It's just gonna get worse as you get older.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:08 PM