Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake Upgrades for a 4 lug, what's available
jmitro
post Feb 21 2017, 11:15 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,986
Region Association: None

true. do you use brake cooling ducting?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Feb 21 2017, 11:33 AM
Post #62

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 21 2017, 12:08 PM) *

I have heard many horror stories about vented rotors cracking on track cars.
There certainly are those that do it, but would it be a benefit for your application?

Vented rotors cracking? Drilled rotors-most certainly, but vented are pretty robust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 21 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #63

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 21 2017, 12:33 PM) *

There certainly are those that do it, but would it be a benefit for your application?

Vented rotors cracking? Drilled rotors-most certainly, but vented are pretty robust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yea, its a problem with drilled rotors. Vented are on most everything. I cant imagine how heavy the rotors would be on the cars with BIG brakes if they were solid. Carbon fiber excluded.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Feb 21 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 21 2017, 10:33 AM) *

Sorry. Since he was talking about 4-lug upgrades and vented rotors, I thought 'drilled rotor'.

Yes if you have 911 style vented rotors, then they do not crack like stock (solid) drilled rotors.
+Quote Post
Racer
post Feb 21 2017, 05:34 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jmitro @ Feb 21 2017, 11:56 AM) *

bumping this thread as I'm contemplating my options for brakes (vented rotors??) on the car for occasional track use. Car will be close to stock weight, I weigh 175lb, and the engine will be 120hp.

I have brand new solid rotors with PMB 5lug conversion, rebuilt calipers, new pads, lines, proportioning valve, 19mm master cylinder.

QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 20 2017, 11:39 PM) *

I brake about as hard as I can from 110 MPH (with 215 Hoosiers) on just one of 10 corners at the track, and do that for 20 minutes without stopping.
I have only detected brake fade a few times

based on your experience, I'm thinking my desire for vented rotors is probably not necessary?

thoughts?

I'm using my stock Boge strut bodies; if I want vented rotors using Porsche calipers and 5lug, I'm assuming the only option is to convert to 911 front struts?

Occasional track use will come down to driver skill and the tracks involved. Going back, I had a 2056/4 with 4 lug stock brakes. Like most track diving geniuses, I knew the only way to go faster was to improve the car (since the drover was already perfect ; ) ) .. So after 2 years of saving my pennies I upgraded to 911 front end (3.2 Carrera brakes) and never had an ounce of brake fade thereafter. For me, I was running 4-5 events (10-14 track days/year).

Yes, the 5 bolt 911 brakes are the solution, hence the factory using them on the 914/6.

The stock brakes are fine for a stock car and can likely handle up to 110-120hp. Track driving is about HEAT management. If you want to avoid the $$ to change to 911 brakes, do what others have done:

1) Quality lines
2) Quality fluid
3) Great brake pads
4) AIR - Get lots of air to the front brakes
5) Learn to drive better (brake less, carry more speed).
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 01:56 AM