Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Odd noise when starter cranking- with new distributor
tornik550
post Oct 30 2016, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486
Region Association: None

FYI- the engine is a 2.7 /6

I am toying with my ignition timing due to purchasing a new distributor. I got a 123 ignition tune + distributor. I have it set up for 10 degrees advance at 1000 rpm.

When I try to start my engine, the starter cranks for little then the engine is trying to fire (I think it is not firing due to a unrelated carb issue). After cranking for a little, I get a loud noise and it sounds like the engine doesn't want to crank for that second. This occurs once the engine starts to fire.

I have had this happen in the past with a normal distributor when the timing was off. I just don't remember if it was too advanced or retarded.

Is it possible that there is too much advance and the engine is trying to fire before the piston reaches tdc and therefore stops rotation (and causes an unpleasant noise)?

This is definitely not a foreign body in cylinder noise, flywheel issue other otherwise. I defiantly has something to do with timing and possibly air fuel issue.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Oct 30 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yes. Sounds like too much advance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 01:03 PM