Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odd noise when starter cranking- with new distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
FYI- the engine is a 2.7 /6

I am toying with my ignition timing due to purchasing a new distributor. I got a 123 ignition tune + distributor. I have it set up for 10 degrees advance at 1000 rpm.

When I try to start my engine, the starter cranks for little then the engine is trying to fire (I think it is not firing due to a unrelated carb issue). After cranking for a little, I get a loud noise and it sounds like the engine doesn't want to crank for that second. This occurs once the engine starts to fire.

I have had this happen in the past with a normal distributor when the timing was off. I just don't remember if it was too advanced or retarded.

Is it possible that there is too much advance and the engine is trying to fire before the piston reaches tdc and therefore stops rotation (and causes an unpleasant noise)?

This is definitely not a foreign body in cylinder noise, flywheel issue other otherwise. I defiantly has something to do with timing and possibly air fuel issue.
PlaysWithCars
Yes. Sounds like too much advance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.