Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Mounted Auxiliary Oil Cooler, An alternative to the front mounted unit
JustinMeier
post Nov 2 2016, 12:40 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,258
Region Association: None

I have a 2.7 and the cooler was put in the trunk with an aux fan.. I can't keep the thing cool at all when temps are over 80, and forget traffic.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 2 2016, 10:55 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 31 2016, 07:30 PM) *

I posted this set-up done by Henry Schmidt of Supertec Performance a while back.
He stated it brought temps down and didn't affect the cooling of the engine.
It was in an original /6 that the owner put a bigger engine in, but didn't want to cut up the car for a front mount cooler.
It's a modified RX-7 cooler.

I just talked to Henry the other day and he said he has one Just like this he would sell to me.. Looks cool
+Quote Post
socal1200r
post Nov 2 2016, 11:27 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 20,432
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I don't know much about 914s, so I'm guessing the stock coolers, if they have one, are pretty piss poor in function?

To me, it makes no sense to mount an oil cooler anywhere near the engine compartment. Isn't the purpose to COOL the engine oil? At the very least, it should be positioned like the one a couple of posts above, with its own "grill" next to the back window. I doubt this area gets any air directed down onto it, but at least the heat has a place to go. I would think that if someone really wanted to cool their oil, they'd mount it up front like an intercooler and run the lines to the back, or even mount it like it's done on the green 914 but in the front trunk, where it'll be in the air flow.

If you REALLY wanted to cool it, and valued function over form, one could put a small scoop on the front trunk and mount the oil cooler directly underneath it. Think a small rise Subaru scoop (WRX?), styled like an STI scoop but not as tall. I know, blasphemous...but I'm sure it would function a lot better than a lot of these locations in this thread...

Since most oil coolers are rectangular in shape, a matching shape in a hood scoop should work quite nicely...

http://parts.glanzmann.com/p/Subaru__Impre...er=BingShopping

https://www.amazon.com/04-05-SUBARU-STYLE-C...=Wrx+Hood+Scoop

'Course one could also mount it on the inside of the rear fender, and use a vent piece like this, with the openings pointed towards the front, to force air thru the cooler as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J0OZ1XM?psc=1

But if I were to tackle something like this, I think my first choice would be doing something like the cooler with its own grill behind the rear window, but putting it on the front hood somewhere instead. Next would be on the front hood, but with a small scoop. Third would be at the rear window, like the one pic shows. Last choice would be anywhere in or near the engine compartment.

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 2 2016, 12:15 PM
Post #24

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(socal1200r @ Nov 2 2016, 01:27 PM) *

I don't know much about 914s, so I'm guessing the stock coolers, if they have one, are pretty piss poor in function?

In stock form, stock engines the coolers are fine, for the most part we are talking about bigger than stock engines or race cars.

QUOTE(socal1200r @ Nov 2 2016, 01:27 PM) *

If you REALLY wanted to cool it, and valued function over form, one could put a small scoop on the front trunk and mount the oil cooler directly underneath it. Think a small rise Subaru scoop (WRX?), styled like an STI scoop but not as tall. I know, blasphemous...but I'm sure it would function a lot better than a lot of these locations in this thread...

Since most oil coolers are rectangular in shape, a matching shape in a hood scoop should work quite nicely...

http://parts.glanzmann.com/p/Subaru__Impre...er=BingShopping

https://www.amazon.com/04-05-SUBARU-STYLE-C...=Wrx+Hood+Scoop

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

That's real rice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Sorry the whole reason guys don't want a front cooler is because the "best" way to do this is cutting a big hole into the front of the chassis and of bottom of the trunk, mods you can't even see from the outside when done.
A good number of us hate to drill even a single hole into our cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Nov 2 2016, 05:10 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

I like the idea of a rear cooler on the grounds of clean lines, but far from convinced in its effectiveness in comparison to traditional front mount. The factory had lots of experience with what was effective and what was not

If you are going to do a front cooler don't do what my cars PO did and cut a hole in the front then vent out the hood without a well fitting ducting solution

A) it looks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
B) when traveling at speed, hood hinges cut through windscreen slam panels really well once the hood goes

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
sjhenry1075
post Jan 17 2017, 02:38 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 14,709
Region Association: North East States

At what point do you need to think about adding an extra cooler? At what displacement is the stock cooling system no longer effective? I know a lot of it depends on driving, but minus any sort of racing, is there a standard for when to add an extra cooler?
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Jan 17 2017, 03:14 PM
Post #27

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've been running this set up on my 3.2 since 2006 with no issues. I like to think Arizona is a pretty good test bed for cooling needs.

Excuse the mess....this was pre-paint/detailing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/FERG.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jan 17 2017, 03:20 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

Good to know, I have the same cooler, going to mock-up that location when I plan mine out. How are your lines routed, and what's your thermostat set for...that may have something to do with it too.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jan 17 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #29

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Nov 1 2016, 10:40 PM) *

I have a 2.7 and the cooler was put in the trunk with an aux fan.. I can't keep the thing cool at all when temps are over 80, and forget traffic.

how do you get airflow if its in the back boot, im assuming its the back...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 17 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #30

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Jan 17 2017, 03:38 PM) *

At what point do you need to think about adding an extra cooler? At what displacement is the stock cooling system no longer effective? I know a lot of it depends on driving, but minus any sort of racing, is there a standard for when to add an extra cooler?

To this question, I think most well-built/tuned 2056's are probably fine with the stock oil cooler. That's what I have, and temps get to 220, but that's about it. I've looked into building/buying a 2270 at some point, and based on the reading I've done I'll definitely need an external oil cooler at that point. May not have to be front-mounted, but something external will be required.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jan 17 2017, 05:23 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

I installed mine in the front headlight buckets behind the foglight holes.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6102&st=240

This is a pic before the vents and duct to dump out the wheel well was done, but you get the idea.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i366.photobucket.com-10819-1389661344.5.jpg)

Now that the car is done, you cant even tell they are there.
And there would be room to keep the headlights if I wanted to.
One of the two coolers has a fan, but I havent even had to use it yet, even during a race
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 17 2017, 10:25 PM
Post #32

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Jan 17 2017, 12:38 PM) *

At what point do you need to think about adding an extra cooler?

When your oil temps are too high, of course!

There isn't any single displacement or power level that requires a cooler, it varies from case to case.

--DD
+Quote Post
JustinMeier
post Jan 18 2017, 09:24 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 20,258

QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 17 2017, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Nov 1 2016, 10:40 PM) *

how do you get airflow if its in the back boot, im assuming its the back...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Exactly!!!!
Why it got put there is beyond me. However, I could use the holes where the cups for the top are to pull in fresh air from the grill. This of course means that I wouldn't be able to store the top in the trunk. Hope that makes sense.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:40 PM