Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My attempt to Subaru AWD to 2WD, Another option?
914pipe
post Nov 4 2016, 02:02 PM
Post #1

Say......TEEEEEEEN!!!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,422
Region Association: South East States

Credit and Inspiration to this thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...104513&st=0

This is my attempt to convert from Subaru AWD to 2WD tranny using their own internals.

So…! I pulled the engine out and I’m going for a Subaru tranny.

Attached Image

I pulled out the transmission cover and removed the differential.

Attached Image

I put the whole differential in a flat surface and make 2 tag welds to fix in position the whole differential.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I did a test fit on the transmission, to be sure that the gears did not moved during the tag welding. Did the necessary measurements to cut the differential. Then proceeded to cut the differential (had to pullout the bearing first).

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914pipe
post Nov 4 2016, 02:11 PM
Post #2

Say......TEEEEEEEN!!!!!

Another test fit on the transmission.
Attached Image

Decide to cut an outer ring so I can Tig weld it.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Mig weld to maintain position and prevent warping during Tig welding.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Test fit again in the transmission.
Attached Image

Proceed to TIG weld
Attached Image

Did Tig weld in the inner side in 3 sections. Really the outer weld look so strong and have so much penetration that I was thinking that the inner welding was not necessary. And also had to grind a little in the inside since the Tig weld got to the splines in some sections.

Attached Image

Test fit on the transmission.
Attached Image

Just a washer away.
Attached Image

Attached Image

BTW I'm using a WRX 2006 transmission.
Hope this help.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 4 2016, 05:21 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Cool!
I know there is a company in aussie that sells this as a kit. Good stuff but not cheap. Can't remember the name of hand.
Keep the pics coming and explain to the unwashed masses why you have to do this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Nov 4 2016, 05:26 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 4 2016, 05:21 PM) *

Cool!
I know there is a company in aussie that sells this as a kit. Good stuff but not cheap. Can't remember the name of hand.
Keep the pics coming and explain to the unwashed masses why you have to do this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Because a Subaru trans with a Subaru engine is a no brainer.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 4 2016, 05:33 PM
Post #5

that's what I do!

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Nov 4 2016, 07:26 PM) *

Cool!

Because a Subaru trans with a Subaru engine is a no brainer.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I mean explain why does he have to do this mod, many won't know why. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Nov 4 2016, 05:44 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 4 2016, 05:33 PM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Nov 4 2016, 07:26 PM) *

Cool!

I mean explain why does he have to do this mod, many won't know why. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Sorry Mark... the Subaru trans shifts like a modern car with much less throw distance than the 901. With an MR2 or Honda 5spd shifter it'll be like jumping into a new car. The Subaru trans ratios are well matched to the power of the engine except in this case the EG33 was much higher geared for the final drive being that it was in an SVX. They'd do 150 off the showroom floor... no shit. This trans will be spinning like a top at the 7k rev capability of this engine but it's still a better match with replacement parts galore. All in all it's a win/win for his 914 and his driving pleasure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
914pipe
post Nov 4 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #7

Say......TEEEEEEEN!!!!!

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 4 2016, 04:21 PM) *

Cool!

Smallcar, Subarugears and bremarauto are some of those companies that make the kits... and also there is a guy from this forum that makes it too with a more reasonable and affordable price.

The lock kit will cost about $200 dollars and I was not willing to pay that for something that I can do for free. Maybe you would have to pay for the Tig welding.

The main reason for this mod is to convert this transmission from 4wheel drive to front wheel drive....

And the backing plate is about $200 dollars more. No way!!!! I'm going to do my own.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Keyser Sose
post Nov 4 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,576
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 4 2016, 04:33 PM) *

He removed the rear differential since it's not needed any more and you can shorten the transmission with it gone, just put a flat plate over the now-empty housing. But by removing that rear differential the front differential has nothing to lock on to, so would just spin that inner shaft in the photos, which is now connected to nothing. Welding the inner and outer gears locks that shaft and sends all the power into the front differential, making the four-wheel drive transmission into two-wheel drive.

At that point it's been changed into what's basically a newer and improved 901 transmission, more modern and efficient. Works well, and it looks like he's doing a really good job of it.

QUOTE(nukepipe @ Nov 4 2016, 05:50 PM) *

And the backing plate is about $200 dollars more. No way!!!! I'm going to do my own.
Twenty minutes. I used a gasket to draw onto flat aluminum plate, drilled the holes and cut it out with metal blades in a cheap jigsaw. Looks good and took literally 20 minutes.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 4 2016, 08:42 PM
Post #9

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

BIGKAT83 posted about some company that sells a tool that does the same thing. IIRC, it was ~$50. No matter, your really going to enjoy the combination. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914pipe
post Nov 4 2016, 08:46 PM
Post #10

Say......TEEEEEEEN!!!!!

QUOTE(Keyser Sose @ Nov 4 2016, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 4 2016, 04:33 PM) *

He removed the rear differential since it's not needed any more and you can shorten the transmission with it gone, just put a flat plate over the now-empty housing. But by removing that rear differential the front differential has nothing to lock on to, so would just spin that inner shaft in the photos, which is now connected to nothing. Welding the inner and outer gears locks that shaft and sends all the power into the front differential, making the four-wheel drive transmission into two-wheel drive.

At that point it's been changed into what's basically a newer and improved 901 transmission, more modern and efficient. Works well, and it looks like he's doing a really good job of it.

QUOTE(nukepipe @ Nov 4 2016, 05:50 PM) *

Twenty minutes. I used a gasket to draw onto flat aluminum plate, drilled the holes and cut it out with metal blades in a cheap jigsaw. Looks good and took literally 20 minutes.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Nov 4 2016, 08:56 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

And Mr. Sose had a much better answer than mine... I guess I'm just being emotional today so I answered to the advantages. Besides, I'm running an automatic and have already modified my trans to 2wd. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 4 2016, 09:58 PM
Post #12

that's what I do!

No big deal, I had a good idea what was going on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I just wanted the OP to explain why he was doing this, so that when someone else does a search they know exactly what was being done and why. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

BTW it was Subarugears I was thinking of, they also make a spendy but nice kit to flip the diff for vanagon conversions.
+Quote Post
914pipe
post Nov 6 2016, 01:17 PM
Post #13

Say......TEEEEEEEN!!!!!

Final washer install.... This is Done!!!!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 6 2016, 05:11 PM
Post #14

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Did not know there was another EG33 swap on the board.

Nice job on the fix. BTW, you can sell the center diff, and make the swap almost free. TIG consumables and time still cost money. But then maybe I will take your lead and do it on my next one, as I can use the TIG practice.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 07:25 PM