Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Got the shakes, My '76 has a shake at highway speed
cliffordbf
post Nov 15 2016, 09:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,429
Region Association: None

I have a 1976 with new Bilstein front and rear shocks, 180# springs, Turbo tie rods and it had an alignment recently with different wheels and tires. I took it in with some fresh rubber because it had a shake and was told it was a wheel balancing issue. The wheel balancing happened but there's no change...what else do I check?
Tires are Bridgestone RE71R's mounted on Pedrini wheels and the shake is ~60-75mph.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RenoRoger
post Nov 16 2016, 12:57 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,370
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(cliffordbf @ Nov 15 2016, 07:47 PM) *

I have a 1976 with new Bilstein front and rear shocks, 180# springs, Turbo tie rods and it had an alignment recently with different wheels and tires. I took it in with some fresh rubber because it had a shake and was told it was a wheel balancing issue. The wheel balancing happened but there's no change...what else do I check?
Tires are Bridgestone RE71R's mounted on Pedrini wheels and the shake is ~60-75mph.

Many, many years ago I had a similar problem with a brand new car. Took it back to the dealer at least twice. They couldn't fix it. I discussed it with the folks at a tire shop. They had a special machine that would "true" a tire. Turned out that one or both tires on the front were out of round. That fixed the shake.
+Quote Post
RenoRoger
post Nov 16 2016, 12:57 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,370

QUOTE(cliffordbf @ Nov 15 2016, 07:47 PM) *

Many, many years ago I had a similar problem with a brand new car. Took it back to the dealer at least twice. They couldn't fix it. I discussed it with the folks at a tire shop. They had a special machine that would "true" a tire. Turned out that one or both tires on the front were out of round. That fixed the shake.
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Nov 16 2016, 04:52 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

sound like a Hub center/Lug center issues to me. This helped mine
Hub center rings found Here

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm
Ever wonder why you can't get rid of the vibration in your rear wheels even though the wheels have been re-balanced?The factory alloy wheels can easily be mounted off-center by as much as 1/16", causing an irritating vibration.Our Hub Centering Rings completely eliminate the problem. The wheel stays on the hub even with no bolts!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Steve
post Nov 16 2016, 08:40 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I'm running 225's in the front and had to raise the air pressure to get rid of the shake on my car. I think I'm running around 30/33 front to rear.
+Quote Post
BK911
post Nov 16 2016, 11:26 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,674

QUOTE(rfinegan @ Nov 16 2016, 05:52 AM) *

Ever wonder why you can't get rid of the vibration in your rear wheels even though the wheels have been re-balanced?The factory alloy wheels can easily be mounted off-center by as much as 1/16", causing an irritating vibration.Our Hub Centering Rings completely eliminate the problem. The wheel stays on the hub even with no bolts!

Thanks for the link.
My 72 also has a vibration at 55mph.
All new bushings, shocks, bearings, tie rods, etc.
Have even put on a different set of wheels.
I may try these and see what happens.
Anybody with real world experience?
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Nov 16 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(BK911 @ Nov 16 2016, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(rfinegan @ Nov 16 2016, 05:52 AM) *

Thanks for the link.
My 72 also has a vibration at 55mph.
All new bushings, shocks, bearings, tie rods, etc.
Have even put on a different set of wheels.
I may try these and see what happens.
Anybody with real world experience?

worked for me...i could get them right without the rings about 2 of 5 times..my late fronts do this a bit too and they or hub center. Tightening by hand off the ground seems to help a lot

-Robert
+Quote Post
Toast
post Nov 16 2016, 02:00 PM
Post #8

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

+Quote Post
Toast
post Nov 16 2016, 02:08 PM
Post #9

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

Not sure if this is relevant, but in other rare but extreme cases that I tend to have....make sure your sway bar bracket is not coming away from the body. I had that happen in my 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Where it was bolted to the body the area was rusted and it was actually pulling away from the body causing clonking noise and non-pedictable shaking. Welded a plate for reinforcement and Walla. Solved the shaking and clonking.
+Quote Post
cliffordbf
post Nov 29 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 11,429

QUOTE(Toast @ Nov 16 2016, 02:08 PM) *

Not sure if this is relevant, but in other rare but extreme cases that I tend to have....make sure your sway bar bracket is not coming away from the body. I had that happen in my 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Where it was bolted to the body the area was rusted and it was actually pulling away from the body causing clonking noise and non-pedictable shaking. Welded a plate for reinforcement and Walla. Solved the shaking and clonking.

I actually noticed my passenger linkage wasn't attached and reconnected it. Still not change to the shake... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
rjames
post Nov 29 2016, 02:39 PM
Post #11

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The company that mounted your tires may not have the correct equipment to balance them correctly on your rims if they are 4 lug. I would start there.

+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 29 2016, 05:15 PM
Post #12

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 29 2016, 12:39 PM) *

The company that mounted your tires may not have the correct equipment to balance them correctly on your rims if they are 4 lug. I would start there.

I'll 2nd that. Not all wheels are concentric with the center hole, and should be balanced via the lug holes.

The best way to balance tires on a 914 is to spin them on the car, but it's virtually a lost art.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 29 2016, 11:36 PM
Post #13

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

The stock wheels on a 73+ 914 should be hub-centric; the front hubs have centering rings built in.

The tires could be out of round, or possibly the belts in one could be separating. The ball joints could be worn. One or more shocks could be bad. The tie rods could be worn out. Various bushings could be worn or failing.

In other words, there are a whole lot of things in the suspension and the wheels/tires that could be causing or contributing to your shimmy.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 12:27 PM