Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got the shakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cliffordbf
I have a 1976 with new Bilstein front and rear shocks, 180# springs, Turbo tie rods and it had an alignment recently with different wheels and tires. I took it in with some fresh rubber because it had a shake and was told it was a wheel balancing issue. The wheel balancing happened but there's no change...what else do I check?
Tires are Bridgestone RE71R's mounted on Pedrini wheels and the shake is ~60-75mph.
RenoRoger
QUOTE(cliffordbf @ Nov 15 2016, 07:47 PM) *

I have a 1976 with new Bilstein front and rear shocks, 180# springs, Turbo tie rods and it had an alignment recently with different wheels and tires. I took it in with some fresh rubber because it had a shake and was told it was a wheel balancing issue. The wheel balancing happened but there's no change...what else do I check?
Tires are Bridgestone RE71R's mounted on Pedrini wheels and the shake is ~60-75mph.

Many, many years ago I had a similar problem with a brand new car. Took it back to the dealer at least twice. They couldn't fix it. I discussed it with the folks at a tire shop. They had a special machine that would "true" a tire. Turned out that one or both tires on the front were out of round. That fixed the shake.
RenoRoger
QUOTE(cliffordbf @ Nov 15 2016, 07:47 PM) *

Many, many years ago I had a similar problem with a brand new car. Took it back to the dealer at least twice. They couldn't fix it. I discussed it with the folks at a tire shop. They had a special machine that would "true" a tire. Turned out that one or both tires on the front were out of round. That fixed the shake.
rfinegan
sound like a Hub center/Lug center issues to me. This helped mine
Hub center rings found Here

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm
Ever wonder why you can't get rid of the vibration in your rear wheels even though the wheels have been re-balanced?The factory alloy wheels can easily be mounted off-center by as much as 1/16", causing an irritating vibration.Our Hub Centering Rings completely eliminate the problem. The wheel stays on the hub even with no bolts!
Steve
I'm running 225's in the front and had to raise the air pressure to get rid of the shake on my car. I think I'm running around 30/33 front to rear.
BK911
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Nov 16 2016, 05:52 AM) *

Ever wonder why you can't get rid of the vibration in your rear wheels even though the wheels have been re-balanced?The factory alloy wheels can easily be mounted off-center by as much as 1/16", causing an irritating vibration.Our Hub Centering Rings completely eliminate the problem. The wheel stays on the hub even with no bolts!

Thanks for the link.
My 72 also has a vibration at 55mph.
All new bushings, shocks, bearings, tie rods, etc.
Have even put on a different set of wheels.
I may try these and see what happens.
Anybody with real world experience?
rfinegan
QUOTE(BK911 @ Nov 16 2016, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(rfinegan @ Nov 16 2016, 05:52 AM) *

Thanks for the link.
My 72 also has a vibration at 55mph.
All new bushings, shocks, bearings, tie rods, etc.
Have even put on a different set of wheels.
I may try these and see what happens.
Anybody with real world experience?

worked for me...i could get them right without the rings about 2 of 5 times..my late fronts do this a bit too and they or hub center. Tightening by hand off the ground seems to help a lot

-Robert
Toast
Toast
Not sure if this is relevant, but in other rare but extreme cases that I tend to have....make sure your sway bar bracket is not coming away from the body. I had that happen in my 914. blink.gif Where it was bolted to the body the area was rusted and it was actually pulling away from the body causing clonking noise and non-pedictable shaking. Welded a plate for reinforcement and Walla. Solved the shaking and clonking.
cliffordbf
QUOTE(Toast @ Nov 16 2016, 02:08 PM) *

Not sure if this is relevant, but in other rare but extreme cases that I tend to have....make sure your sway bar bracket is not coming away from the body. I had that happen in my 914. blink.gif Where it was bolted to the body the area was rusted and it was actually pulling away from the body causing clonking noise and non-pedictable shaking. Welded a plate for reinforcement and Walla. Solved the shaking and clonking.

I actually noticed my passenger linkage wasn't attached and reconnected it. Still not change to the shake... headbang.gif
rjames
The company that mounted your tires may not have the correct equipment to balance them correctly on your rims if they are 4 lug. I would start there.

IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 29 2016, 12:39 PM) *

The company that mounted your tires may not have the correct equipment to balance them correctly on your rims if they are 4 lug. I would start there.

I'll 2nd that. Not all wheels are concentric with the center hole, and should be balanced via the lug holes.

The best way to balance tires on a 914 is to spin them on the car, but it's virtually a lost art.
Dave_Darling
The stock wheels on a 73+ 914 should be hub-centric; the front hubs have centering rings built in.

The tires could be out of round, or possibly the belts in one could be separating. The ball joints could be worn. One or more shocks could be bad. The tie rods could be worn out. Various bushings could be worn or failing.

In other words, there are a whole lot of things in the suspension and the wheels/tires that could be causing or contributing to your shimmy.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.