Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil bath conversion to paper filter EASY/CHEAP, Getting rid of icky 1970 oil bath
pgollender
post Nov 16 2016, 11:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,281
Region Association: Northern California

When putting my new engine back into my 1970, I just couldn't stand the thought of putting that icky oil bath air filter back in, so I got out a Dremel tool and modified the stock air filter.
Attached Image
First I cut the top open and removed that icky mess of nylon fibers.
Attached Image
Then I used the dremel cutoff tool to trim the flange to about 5/16" That will serve to hold the new paper element centered in place.
Attached Image
K&N E-2630 filter fits perfectly. Inside diameter 7.125", outside diameter 9.0", Height - 2.0" The rubber surfaces are slightly sticky and make great contact top and bottom.
Attached Image
Next use the dremel and cut the bottom ring it off exactly at the vertical-horizontal junction and discard. MAKE SURE you meticulously clean the metal shavings out afterwards. The last thing you want is your engine to inhale those fine metal particulates and ruin your new/old engine.
Attached Image
Apply your new filter into the top lid.
Attached Image
Viola ! Finished product. No more icky oil bath.
Total project cost: $53
4 dremel mini cut-off discs = $8
K&N 50,000 mile washable reusable filter =$45
Project Time: About 40 minutes
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 07:27 PM