Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil bath conversion to paper filter EASY/CHEAP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pgollender
When putting my new engine back into my 1970, I just couldn't stand the thought of putting that icky oil bath air filter back in, so I got out a Dremel tool and modified the stock air filter.
Click to view attachment
First I cut the top open and removed that icky mess of nylon fibers.
Click to view attachment
Then I used the dremel cutoff tool to trim the flange to about 5/16" That will serve to hold the new paper element centered in place.
Click to view attachment
K&N E-2630 filter fits perfectly. Inside diameter 7.125", outside diameter 9.0", Height - 2.0" The rubber surfaces are slightly sticky and make great contact top and bottom.
Click to view attachment
Next use the dremel and cut the bottom ring it off exactly at the vertical-horizontal junction and discard. MAKE SURE you meticulously clean the metal shavings out afterwards. The last thing you want is your engine to inhale those fine metal particulates and ruin your new/old engine.
Click to view attachment
Apply your new filter into the top lid.
Click to view attachment
Viola ! Finished product. No more icky oil bath.
Total project cost: $53
4 dremel mini cut-off discs = $8
K&N 50,000 mile washable reusable filter =$45
Project Time: About 40 minutes
Garland
Nice job
1970 Neun vierzehn
Curiouser and Curiouser, my 1970/4 oil bath filter does not look like that either internally or externally! confused24.gif

Is your car an early or late build date?

Paul
luskesq
The Capt'n wouldn't have approved the K'N but good job. Filter looks like what I have on my '70 914_4

Keith
pgollender
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 17 2016, 05:16 PM) *

Curiouser and Curiouser, my 1970/4 oil bath filter does not look like that either internally or externally! confused24.gif

Is your car an early or late build date?

Paul

Paul, I believe the top is from a '72-or '73. The bottom half is from March 1970 build date. The '70 I had had a smooth top without the extra port and no metal "ribbing". Accidentally dropped an engine lift on the '70 lid and haven't repaired it yet.
pgollender
QUOTE(luskesq @ Nov 17 2016, 07:31 PM) *

The Capt'n wouldn't have approved the K'N but good job. Filter looks like what I have on my '70 914_4

Keith

Keith, you are quite right about the late Capt'n's opinion. I posted the same question a couple years ago, he vehemently defended the argument for the oil bath system.
In my simple mind, if you blow thru the intake port of the stock of original filter vs. my modified K&N filter, there is clearly much less air resistance from the latter. Relocating the actual intake to a colder pick-up location rather than directly over the hot tins, should in theory help with performance as well, even in FI systems. I think someone already posted elsewhere on world that he was achieving about 5 horses more with cold pick-up location. These are minimal changes in design that achieve " free horsepower".
The real reason for me was to dump that icky oil trash tray. (No offense to the purists out there)
jcd914
The Capt'n did not like K&N filters.
He did not think they filtered the air well, let too much dirt thru.

Jim
pgollender
Yes that was one of his points.
I believe not all K&N filters are created equal for filtering properties.
You can substitute a 1973 Pinto paper filter for about $8 from your local flaps, but the fit is less optimal and requires trimming and fussing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.