Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fuel pressure, builds but drops
Gunn1
post Nov 18 2016, 11:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,670
Region Association: None

After the car sat for a few months (74 2.0 liter factory EFI) the fuel system builds pressure as it should when the key is turned to the on position, but once the system is up to pressure (about 40PSI on the gauge) the pump shuts off as it should but the pressure drops on the gauge. Car will start but barely. Used to build pressure then the pump would shut off but gauge would stay/hold pressure at right around 40PSI until car was started. Do I have a leak somewhere. there is no evidence or gas smell.

what could it be? Up until now the car always started and ran great.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 18 2016, 11:58 PM
Post #2

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

Wait, Stromberg got his own turd emoticon, I think 0U812/Gunn1/and all his fake accounts need one too! No, I take that back. Stromturd was just a rip off artist who sold bad shit. Gunn1 has no substance at all.
poof
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 19 2016, 01:00 AM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Admin! Clean up in the garage please.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Nov 19 2016, 08:26 AM
Post #4

if you don't have a answer that's ok. I can figure it out.

Thanks
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Nov 19 2016, 02:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 805

QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 18 2016, 10:08 PM) *

After the car sat for a few months (74 2.0 liter factory EFI) the fuel system builds pressure as it should when the key is turned to the on position, but once the system is up to pressure (about 40PSI on the gauge) the pump shuts off as it should but the pressure drops on the gauge. Car will start but barely. Used to build pressure then the pump would shut off but gauge would stay/hold pressure at right around 40PSI until car was started. Do I have a leak somewhere. there is no evidence or gas smell.

Could be the check valve in the pump, leaky injector, or leaky CSV. Pull off the air box and open the throttle so you can see inside the plenum, if it's full of gas, the CSV is probably leaking. Check your injectors by pulling them and pressurizing the system. If they're not leaking and the CSV is OK, then it's the check valve.

According to DD, it's really not a check valve, from a posting of his:

"The pump itself acts as a check valve, at least to some extent. There is no specific check valve built in. There is a spring-loaded valve, but its intent is to bleed off overly high pressure from inside the pump back to the tank."
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Nov 19 2016, 02:25 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(pbanders @ Nov 19 2016, 02:13 PM) *

Could be the check valve in the pump, leaky injector, or leaky CSV. Pull off the air box and open the throttle so you can see inside the plenum, if it's full of gas, the CSV is probably leaking. Check your injectors by pulling them and pressurizing the system. If they're not leaking and the CSV is OK, then it's the check valve.

"The pump itself acts as a check valve, at least to some extent. There is no specific check valve built in. There is a spring-loaded valve, but its intent is to bleed off overly high pressure from inside the pump back to the tank."

What is the CSV?
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Nov 19 2016, 02:35 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 19 2016, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(pbanders @ Nov 19 2016, 02:13 PM) *

What is the CSV?

Cold start valve. It is the 5th injector
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Nov 19 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 805

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Nov 19 2016, 01:35 PM) *

Cold start valve. It is the 5th injector

It's on the back of the plenum on the LH side, fed by a hose from the fuel rail tap on that side. In warmer climates the CSV is rarely if ever actuated, but they can fail and leak, regardless. Its operation is controlled by the thermo or thermo-time switch (depends on what year as to which kind of switch you have), not by the ECU.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Nov 19 2016, 03:24 PM
Post #9

Thanks going to go out and give the suggestions a try.

Will report back
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Nov 20 2016, 05:19 PM
Post #10

plenum is dry, no leaks at the injectors, going to try a different pump off of one of the other cars to see if its pump/check valve related. Although I do not like to do it, the car starts right up with a little starting fluid, until it burns it off. whatever it is I don't believe it to be to serious. will get back with the final results.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Nov 26 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #11

Got it running, after looking over everything I noticed a crack in the fuel supply line just before the square inline filter by the fuel pump. There wasn't any fuel dripping, but it did smell like Gas. Now the Gauge pops right up to 45psi and doesn't leak down over night. Runs like a champ, or at least well enough to move it in and out of the shed under its own power, so I guess I got that going for me.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 27 2016, 05:57 PM
Post #12

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Dude, I wish you would give it a rest. Find another forum, we aren't amused anymore. 45psi to a cracked hose you can see visually, but not a drip? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)
Glad you got your fuel pressure figured out though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
The point of this post isn't to bait the troll, but to expose him to people who seem to not realize who he is.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 27 2016, 08:27 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 28 2016, 12:57 PM) *

Dude, I wish you would give it a rest. Find another forum, we aren't amused anymore. 45psi to a cracked hose you can see visually, but not a drip? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)
Glad you got your fuel pressure figured out though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
The point of this post isn't to bait the troll, but to expose him to people who seem to not realize who he is.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) what a load of bs
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 28 2016, 07:40 AM
Post #14

I drive my car everyday

By now everyone should know who he is. The question is, why has he not gone the way of freeky, megaturd, and the rest of his aka's? And a few new aka!s too.
+Quote Post
tomh
post Nov 28 2016, 01:58 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 11,412

Quick question here, in the warm climates would it be ok to just compleatly disconnect the csv.
What would be the drawbacks on doing that.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Nov 28 2016, 02:20 PM
Post #16

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Who is he/she? I guess I don't spend enough time here to know anymore.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 28 2016, 02:48 PM
Post #17

I drive my car everyday

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 28 2016, 03:20 PM) *

Who is he/she? I guess I don't spend enough time here to know anymore.

She/he/it(say that real fast) is a troll that uses the alias' of megalug, ou812, gunn1, second wind, and others who have been banned already.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Nov 28 2016, 05:28 PM
Post #18

The info in the post is ledgit. Explained exactly how it happened.

Isn't it a wonderful thing and very telling that some people need to tear down others for their enjoyment.

I have never overcharged , misrepresented a car or a part to anyone on this site, but yet I'm the one that gets treated like the criminal. You say things like "don't feed the troll", then why do you even comment? Others have weighed in to help in an honest fashion and I appreciate it. "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all"
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Nov 28 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #19

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(tomh @ Nov 28 2016, 02:58 PM) *

Quick question here, in the warm climates would it be ok to just compleatly disconnect the csv.

Yes, you do not need a cold start valve to start, but it does make starting easier. Without that large start pulse you'll likely be cranking a bit longer.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Nov 28 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 28 2016, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(tomh @ Nov 28 2016, 02:58 PM) *

Yes, you do not need a cold start valve to start, but it does make starting easier. Without that large start pulse you'll likely be cranking a bit longer.

My 74' has the cold start valve but it is not wired, or connected to the fuel supply. the car actually starts pretty good without it, but you have to treadle the throttle a little to keep it going .

Question (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Besides helping start a cold engine does the Cold start valve also act like a idle enrichment circuit and help regulate fuel delivery to create a more stable idle.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 12:51 AM