Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pressure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
After the car sat for a few months (74 2.0 liter factory EFI) the fuel system builds pressure as it should when the key is turned to the on position, but once the system is up to pressure (about 40PSI on the gauge) the pump shuts off as it should but the pressure drops on the gauge. Car will start but barely. Used to build pressure then the pump would shut off but gauge would stay/hold pressure at right around 40PSI until car was started. Do I have a leak somewhere. there is no evidence or gas smell.

what could it be? Up until now the car always started and ran great.
Rand
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

stromberg.gif

stromberg.gif

stromberg.gif

Wait, Stromberg got his own turd emoticon, I think 0U812/Gunn1/and all his fake accounts need one too! No, I take that back. Stromturd was just a rip off artist who sold bad shit. Gunn1 has no substance at all.
poof
TheCabinetmaker
Admin! Clean up in the garage please.
Gunn1
if you don't have a answer that's ok. I can figure it out.

Thanks
pbanders
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 18 2016, 10:08 PM) *

After the car sat for a few months (74 2.0 liter factory EFI) the fuel system builds pressure as it should when the key is turned to the on position, but once the system is up to pressure (about 40PSI on the gauge) the pump shuts off as it should but the pressure drops on the gauge. Car will start but barely. Used to build pressure then the pump would shut off but gauge would stay/hold pressure at right around 40PSI until car was started. Do I have a leak somewhere. there is no evidence or gas smell.

Could be the check valve in the pump, leaky injector, or leaky CSV. Pull off the air box and open the throttle so you can see inside the plenum, if it's full of gas, the CSV is probably leaking. Check your injectors by pulling them and pressurizing the system. If they're not leaking and the CSV is OK, then it's the check valve.

According to DD, it's really not a check valve, from a posting of his:

"The pump itself acts as a check valve, at least to some extent. There is no specific check valve built in. There is a spring-loaded valve, but its intent is to bleed off overly high pressure from inside the pump back to the tank."
Gunn1
QUOTE(pbanders @ Nov 19 2016, 02:13 PM) *

Could be the check valve in the pump, leaky injector, or leaky CSV. Pull off the air box and open the throttle so you can see inside the plenum, if it's full of gas, the CSV is probably leaking. Check your injectors by pulling them and pressurizing the system. If they're not leaking and the CSV is OK, then it's the check valve.

"The pump itself acts as a check valve, at least to some extent. There is no specific check valve built in. There is a spring-loaded valve, but its intent is to bleed off overly high pressure from inside the pump back to the tank."

What is the CSV?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 19 2016, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(pbanders @ Nov 19 2016, 02:13 PM) *

What is the CSV?

Cold start valve. It is the 5th injector
pbanders
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Nov 19 2016, 01:35 PM) *

Cold start valve. It is the 5th injector

It's on the back of the plenum on the LH side, fed by a hose from the fuel rail tap on that side. In warmer climates the CSV is rarely if ever actuated, but they can fail and leak, regardless. Its operation is controlled by the thermo or thermo-time switch (depends on what year as to which kind of switch you have), not by the ECU.
Gunn1
Thanks going to go out and give the suggestions a try.

Will report back
Gunn1
plenum is dry, no leaks at the injectors, going to try a different pump off of one of the other cars to see if its pump/check valve related. Although I do not like to do it, the car starts right up with a little starting fluid, until it burns it off. whatever it is I don't believe it to be to serious. will get back with the final results.
Gunn1
Got it running, after looking over everything I noticed a crack in the fuel supply line just before the square inline filter by the fuel pump. There wasn't any fuel dripping, but it did smell like Gas. Now the Gauge pops right up to 45psi and doesn't leak down over night. Runs like a champ, or at least well enough to move it in and out of the shed under its own power, so I guess I got that going for me.
Rand
Dude, I wish you would give it a rest. Find another forum, we aren't amused anymore. 45psi to a cracked hose you can see visually, but not a drip? bs.gif
Glad you got your fuel pressure figured out though. wacko.gif
The point of this post isn't to bait the troll, but to expose him to people who seem to not realize who he is.
stromberg.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 28 2016, 12:57 PM) *

Dude, I wish you would give it a rest. Find another forum, we aren't amused anymore. 45psi to a cracked hose you can see visually, but not a drip? bs.gif
Glad you got your fuel pressure figured out though. wacko.gif
The point of this post isn't to bait the troll, but to expose him to people who seem to not realize who he is.
stromberg.gif

agree.gif what a load of bs
TheCabinetmaker
By now everyone should know who he is. The question is, why has he not gone the way of freeky, megaturd, and the rest of his aka's? And a few new aka!s too.
tomh
Quick question here, in the warm climates would it be ok to just compleatly disconnect the csv.
What would be the drawbacks on doing that.
boxsterfan
Who is he/she? I guess I don't spend enough time here to know anymore.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 28 2016, 03:20 PM) *

Who is he/she? I guess I don't spend enough time here to know anymore.

She/he/it(say that real fast) is a troll that uses the alias' of megalug, ou812, gunn1, second wind, and others who have been banned already.
Gunn1
The info in the post is ledgit. Explained exactly how it happened.

Isn't it a wonderful thing and very telling that some people need to tear down others for their enjoyment.

I have never overcharged , misrepresented a car or a part to anyone on this site, but yet I'm the one that gets treated like the criminal. You say things like "don't feed the troll", then why do you even comment? Others have weighed in to help in an honest fashion and I appreciate it. "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all"
jd74914
QUOTE(tomh @ Nov 28 2016, 02:58 PM) *

Quick question here, in the warm climates would it be ok to just compleatly disconnect the csv.

Yes, you do not need a cold start valve to start, but it does make starting easier. Without that large start pulse you'll likely be cranking a bit longer.
Gunn1
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 28 2016, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(tomh @ Nov 28 2016, 02:58 PM) *

Yes, you do not need a cold start valve to start, but it does make starting easier. Without that large start pulse you'll likely be cranking a bit longer.

My 74' has the cold start valve but it is not wired, or connected to the fuel supply. the car actually starts pretty good without it, but you have to treadle the throttle a little to keep it going .

Question confused24.gif Besides helping start a cold engine does the Cold start valve also act like a idle enrichment circuit and help regulate fuel delivery to create a more stable idle.
Rand
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 28 2016, 03:28 PM) *

The info in the post is ledgit. Explained exactly how it happened.

Isn't it a wonderful thing and very telling that some people need to tear down others for their enjoyment.

I have never overcharged , misrepresented a car or a part to anyone on this site, but yet I'm the one that gets treated like the criminal. You say things like "don't feed the troll", then why do you even comment? Others have weighed in to help in an honest fashion and I appreciate it. "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all"

I have no problem with you when you act like this, but you have a reputation here that you can't just skate away from by suddenly behaving. My problem with you is the deception you have sown, OU812. If you'll be honest and trustworthy, you'll be able to fit in.

Once you are known as a deceiver, it's really hard to believe questionable stories like "45psi to a cracked hose with no drips, but that's where your fuel pressure was leaking down..." (FYI, your fuel pressure should be 30psi, not 45.)

All I ask is for you to be a straight-up honorable human around us. I'll stop calling you out.

I'd love to see how you installed the fuel pressure gauge. Please post a pic.
second wind
I am not banned....and for what? Just who the hell are you? You sound like a miserable old crank to me.
gg
TheCabinetmaker
Once a troll, well you know the rest.
Gunn1
I have no affiliation with "Second Wind"
TheCabinetmaker
So you do admit having multiple user names! Your still a troll......
Gunn1
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 29 2016, 09:23 AM) *

So you do admit having multiple user names! Your still a troll......

Can we just give this whole troll thing a rest?
tomh
I was just starting to learn something here about the cab. Yes Trolls suck but they are part of the landscape of fourms.
I just don't give them any attention.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.