Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recommended Tools & How to Start, I'm new to the 914 community and restoring cars in general. Looking for a recommended list of tools to have handy and perhaps places to start.
dlloyd2691
post Nov 20 2016, 07:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,951
Region Association: Canada

I'm the proud (3rd) owner of a 1975 1.8l 914. I don't have any auto experience (but am handy) and want to restore the car back to its original stature. This means removing the dual carbs (I have collected the parts for the original fuel injection). I was hoping the community could help me with some initial questions (may help with family members buying be xmas presents). What I'd like to know is:

- what are the basic tools (and perhaps unusual ones) that I should have to consider a complete restoration (lets assume I will have the body blasted and painted by someone else, but am open to suggestions if that's a do it yourself)
- What is the best way to approach a complete restoration (including engine work)? What's the order (remove the body....), any advice or posts that are relevant would be fantastic. Ways to hold the engine for easier working....

I have bought all the old manuals I could get my hands on but am open to any recommendations. I'm truly looking forward to this, I was able to drive it this summer, so it is running but know the body and engine (loves spitting oil on the floor) all need work. I will have access to a lift from time to time but most work needs to be accomplished in my half of a 2 car garage (could store stuff offsite).

My sincerest thanks to what has already been a fantastic community experience (had a gas smell that I fixedAttached Image. I intend to painstakingly document the entire process to also help others learn from my pain. And yes I'm spoiled by my wife as I have another daily driver.

David
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 20 2016, 07:38 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Read the build threads and classic threads on this site. It's all been done and all written down. Good luck.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Boomingbeetle
post Nov 20 2016, 07:40 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,556
Region Association: Southern California

You can NEVER have too many 10mm and 13mm wrenches and sockets. I have a drawer full of each that I buy cheap when I see them at garage sales.

I'm pretty sure I've stripped down cars with less than a cheap 100pc home tool kit from walmart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) but putting them back together is a little harder...
+Quote Post
JustinMeier
post Nov 20 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,258
Region Association: None

I asked about tools a bit ago.. see the following

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=294806&hl=
+Quote Post
cary
post Nov 20 2016, 08:00 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

You are in for the time of your life ...............

If you want to bring the car back to better than new. I would have the car stripped (blasted) to bare metal. One must remember these cars are almost 50 years.
I've yet to see a single car that doesn't have some sort of surprises under the paint, seam sealer and undercoating. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Then bring it home and record with a camera every area of rust and or damage. Then take it and have it epoxy primered for protection. After these three steps are completed you're now ready to start the fun. I should back track a little. You've already learned a lot getting it ready to be blasted. Home Depot has some nice/strong black plastic totes in the paint dept. to store your take off parts.

This isn't what I've done myself, but I'm a slow learner. In the long run it will save you time and money. My .02c.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Nov 20 2016, 08:02 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,670

There are many types of tool combinations. Whatever choices you make don't forget the safety related stuff (PPE) safety glasses, ear protection, breathing and so on. First aid kit, fire extinguishers. PPE can be lifesaver
+Quote Post
N_Jay
post Nov 20 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 19,720

Tools are an obsession.
A good way to start if you want to go big is buying a full box from an estate sale.

If you want to start medium, watch for sales adds for Sears, get there credit card and whenever they send you points buy something on sale you need.

I don't know if you have Harbor Freight up there, but for cheap tools their stuff is not too bad. As things start to wear, you replace with better quality.
As was sais, 10mm, 13mm are most important but also 8, 12, 15, 17, and 19.
You need an 8mm 12 point star for the rear axles.
Don't forget a decent trolley jack, jack stands!!, and wheel chocks.

As soon as you think you are going to be doing brakes, get flare nut wrenches! DO NOT try to use anything else (Unless you want to start learning how to bend and flare brake lines.)

Nothing else is really a special tool
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Nov 20 2016, 08:20 PM
Post #8

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Nov 20 2016, 07:48 PM) *

I asked about tools a bit ago.. see the following

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=294806&hl=

That thread applyies more to a 6 engine. You need common hand tools, sockets, allen, open end and box end wrenches. A triple square socket for the CV bolts and a 30mm socket for the rear stub axle nuts are about the only special tools I can think of.
1.8l are a nice motor but many of the FI parts are one year only and hard to find.
God luck with the restore. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Nov 20 2016, 09:24 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,639

For a major restoration some of the most important tools you can have are a digital camera, a notebook, tags, zip lock bags and a sharpie pen. Seriously, especially as you have never undertaken such work, detailed and well organized documentation is critical. There are a lot of people who have torn cars apart only to sell them in boxes years later for a fraction of their value.

In addition to what others have suggested, a good impact wrench will save you loads of time and frustration. Air is always nice but some of the newer electric tools like the Milwaukee M18 series have taken the place of most of my air tools. A parts washer comes in handy as does an abrasive blast cabinet.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Nov 21 2016, 06:52 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,741

Shop the Sears Black Friday sales, can do it online versus fighting the crowds. Always have a few great deals. I don't care for their power tools, but Craftsman hand tools are very respectable for the price and guaranteed for life through any Sears store.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Nov 21 2016, 08:43 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,510

I will be very interested in following your progress. Your situation would be very similar to my own when I do eventually buy a 914. From having little auto experience yet handy to only having 1/2 of a 2 car garage to work. I wish you luck as you dive in this project with both feet!

Oh and you don't "remove the body" you remove all of the parts off of the unibody, there is no frame.
+Quote Post
Mr.Nobody
post Nov 21 2016, 08:53 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 18,557
Region Association: Southern California

If you buy jack stands, buy the type that have the pin to place through the stand. Not the ratcheting lock type. Much safer.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Nov 21 2016, 12:58 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

One thing I would buy if I were to ever start a ground up resto on a car that was daily driven:

Stand up 20 Gal parts washer
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-gal-parts-...pump-60769.html

I spent FAR more time cleaning parts than any other task.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 21 2016, 01:20 PM
Post #14

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

This is a pretty darn good starter set.
http://www.kmart.com/craftsman-165-pc-mech...p;gclsrc=aw.ds#

Then go to Harbor Freight and get a 1/2" breaker bar, 1/2" impact metric socket set, 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, a metric wrench set that at least goes to 19mm, a screwdriver set, a 3 ton steel low profile jack(Yes its heavy, its the last one you'll ever buy and it wont tip on you), jack stands

You can fill in the rest as you go.

One thing I cant live without is my 18v Ryobi 1/2" drive Impact gun. Its the first thing I grab when working on the car. You want a 1/2" drive impact, the 1/4" is fine as a drill replacement for home improvement stuff, but the 1/2" will save you hours messing with stuck bolts, taking wheels off tires, tightening up stuff.
. I love my Ryobi(HomeDepot). Determine the system you want to go with and stick with it. Ryobi, Kobalt, Dewalt, Makita all have decent cordless systems. I prefer Ryobi due to the price point and the mass amounts of pieces they have. (I have a skill saw, sawzall, drill, Impact, Weed wacker, and flashlight all on the same battery)

+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Nov 21 2016, 01:55 PM
Post #15

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

I love my wobble extension (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
Buying tools is ALMOST as much fun as buying 914 parts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Nov 21 2016, 05:44 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

lets not forget a big ass compressor, a blast cabinet, a press, lifts a plenty, spray guns, a shear, a brake, a roller, a torch, a mig welder and a serious desire. oh yeah, dial gauge, calipers, punches, time and of course money. this is in addition to a basic set of metric hand tools, screwdrivers and clamping devices. if you want to get nutty, a lathe, bridgeport and a host of chassis and engine jigs. and of course a set of SHAM,INC heads
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Nov 21 2016, 08:28 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Travel tools.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 21 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 21 2016, 09:28 PM) *

Travel tools.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
CAMshaft
post Nov 22 2016, 07:41 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 20,433
Region Association: South East States

The only special took I have needed in my tear down so far is a screw extractor for the inevitable corroded fastener. The A-Post trim was where I ran into them. Also, wire for hanging pictures did a great job in separating the windshield from the body.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 22 2016, 08:18 AM
Post #20

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

A Haynes manual. Still have my first one and the last few pages are full of notations. Bought pre Internet.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:31 AM