Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommended Tools & How to Start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlloyd2691
I'm the proud (3rd) owner of a 1975 1.8l 914. I don't have any auto experience (but am handy) and want to restore the car back to its original stature. This means removing the dual carbs (I have collected the parts for the original fuel injection). I was hoping the community could help me with some initial questions (may help with family members buying be xmas presents). What I'd like to know is:

- what are the basic tools (and perhaps unusual ones) that I should have to consider a complete restoration (lets assume I will have the body blasted and painted by someone else, but am open to suggestions if that's a do it yourself)
- What is the best way to approach a complete restoration (including engine work)? What's the order (remove the body....), any advice or posts that are relevant would be fantastic. Ways to hold the engine for easier working....

I have bought all the old manuals I could get my hands on but am open to any recommendations. I'm truly looking forward to this, I was able to drive it this summer, so it is running but know the body and engine (loves spitting oil on the floor) all need work. I will have access to a lift from time to time but most work needs to be accomplished in my half of a 2 car garage (could store stuff offsite).

My sincerest thanks to what has already been a fantastic community experience (had a gas smell that I fixedClick to view attachment. I intend to painstakingly document the entire process to also help others learn from my pain. And yes I'm spoiled by my wife as I have another daily driver.

David
mepstein
welcome.png
Read the build threads and classic threads on this site. It's all been done and all written down. Good luck.
Boomingbeetle
You can NEVER have too many 10mm and 13mm wrenches and sockets. I have a drawer full of each that I buy cheap when I see them at garage sales.

I'm pretty sure I've stripped down cars with less than a cheap 100pc home tool kit from walmart smile.gif but putting them back together is a little harder...
JustinMeier
I asked about tools a bit ago.. see the following

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=294806&hl=
cary
welcome.png

You are in for the time of your life ...............

If you want to bring the car back to better than new. I would have the car stripped (blasted) to bare metal. One must remember these cars are almost 50 years.
I've yet to see a single car that doesn't have some sort of surprises under the paint, seam sealer and undercoating. sad.gif
Then bring it home and record with a camera every area of rust and or damage. Then take it and have it epoxy primered for protection. After these three steps are completed you're now ready to start the fun. I should back track a little. You've already learned a lot getting it ready to be blasted. Home Depot has some nice/strong black plastic totes in the paint dept. to store your take off parts.

This isn't what I've done myself, but I'm a slow learner. In the long run it will save you time and money. My .02c.
Gunn1
There are many types of tool combinations. Whatever choices you make don't forget the safety related stuff (PPE) safety glasses, ear protection, breathing and so on. First aid kit, fire extinguishers. PPE can be lifesaver
N_Jay
Tools are an obsession.
A good way to start if you want to go big is buying a full box from an estate sale.

If you want to start medium, watch for sales adds for Sears, get there credit card and whenever they send you points buy something on sale you need.

I don't know if you have Harbor Freight up there, but for cheap tools their stuff is not too bad. As things start to wear, you replace with better quality.
As was sais, 10mm, 13mm are most important but also 8, 12, 15, 17, and 19.
You need an 8mm 12 point star for the rear axles.
Don't forget a decent trolley jack, jack stands!!, and wheel chocks.

As soon as you think you are going to be doing brakes, get flare nut wrenches! DO NOT try to use anything else (Unless you want to start learning how to bend and flare brake lines.)

Nothing else is really a special tool
bdstone914
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Nov 20 2016, 07:48 PM) *

I asked about tools a bit ago.. see the following

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=294806&hl=

That thread applyies more to a 6 engine. You need common hand tools, sockets, allen, open end and box end wrenches. A triple square socket for the CV bolts and a 30mm socket for the rear stub axle nuts are about the only special tools I can think of.
1.8l are a nice motor but many of the FI parts are one year only and hard to find.
God luck with the restore. welcome.png
Amphicar770
For a major restoration some of the most important tools you can have are a digital camera, a notebook, tags, zip lock bags and a sharpie pen. Seriously, especially as you have never undertaken such work, detailed and well organized documentation is critical. There are a lot of people who have torn cars apart only to sell them in boxes years later for a fraction of their value.

In addition to what others have suggested, a good impact wrench will save you loads of time and frustration. Air is always nice but some of the newer electric tools like the Milwaukee M18 series have taken the place of most of my air tools. A parts washer comes in handy as does an abrasive blast cabinet.
somd914
Shop the Sears Black Friday sales, can do it online versus fighting the crowds. Always have a few great deals. I don't care for their power tools, but Craftsman hand tools are very respectable for the price and guaranteed for life through any Sears store.
iwanta914-6
I will be very interested in following your progress. Your situation would be very similar to my own when I do eventually buy a 914. From having little auto experience yet handy to only having 1/2 of a 2 car garage to work. I wish you luck as you dive in this project with both feet!

Oh and you don't "remove the body" you remove all of the parts off of the unibody, there is no frame.
Mr.Nobody
If you buy jack stands, buy the type that have the pin to place through the stand. Not the ratcheting lock type. Much safer.
stugray
One thing I would buy if I were to ever start a ground up resto on a car that was daily driven:

Stand up 20 Gal parts washer
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-gal-parts-...pump-60769.html

I spent FAR more time cleaning parts than any other task.
Andyrew
This is a pretty darn good starter set.
http://www.kmart.com/craftsman-165-pc-mech...p;gclsrc=aw.ds#

Then go to Harbor Freight and get a 1/2" breaker bar, 1/2" impact metric socket set, 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, a metric wrench set that at least goes to 19mm, a screwdriver set, a 3 ton steel low profile jack(Yes its heavy, its the last one you'll ever buy and it wont tip on you), jack stands

You can fill in the rest as you go.

One thing I cant live without is my 18v Ryobi 1/2" drive Impact gun. Its the first thing I grab when working on the car. You want a 1/2" drive impact, the 1/4" is fine as a drill replacement for home improvement stuff, but the 1/2" will save you hours messing with stuck bolts, taking wheels off tires, tightening up stuff.
. I love my Ryobi(HomeDepot). Determine the system you want to go with and stick with it. Ryobi, Kobalt, Dewalt, Makita all have decent cordless systems. I prefer Ryobi due to the price point and the mass amounts of pieces they have. (I have a skill saw, sawzall, drill, Impact, Weed wacker, and flashlight all on the same battery)

Chris Pincetich
I love my wobble extension shades.gif
Buying tools is ALMOST as much fun as buying 914 parts! w00t.gif
beerchug.gif
injunmort
lets not forget a big ass compressor, a blast cabinet, a press, lifts a plenty, spray guns, a shear, a brake, a roller, a torch, a mig welder and a serious desire. oh yeah, dial gauge, calipers, punches, time and of course money. this is in addition to a basic set of metric hand tools, screwdrivers and clamping devices. if you want to get nutty, a lathe, bridgeport and a host of chassis and engine jigs. and of course a set of SHAM,INC heads
Elliot Cannon
Travel tools.
mepstein
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 21 2016, 09:28 PM) *

Travel tools.

beerchug.gif
CAMshaft
The only special took I have needed in my tear down so far is a screw extractor for the inevitable corroded fastener. The A-Post trim was where I ran into them. Also, wire for hanging pictures did a great job in separating the windshield from the body.
rhodyguy
A Haynes manual. Still have my first one and the last few pages are full of notations. Bought pre Internet.
Mark Henry
You can come up and visit me, I am a business (engine and trans, custom fab), but I love to talk Porsche, VW, 914 and show off my babies, tools, etc.,
That's all free. biggrin.gif

I'm 20 minutes N/E of Bowmanville, 60 minutes from Young/401 but that's no traffic and I drive a tad fast.

There's also Mike's 914 in Colborne, ON he does good work and has parts.

welcome.png
PlantMan
I would second the compressor but only after you have a selection of appropriate hand tools and a couple torque wrenches mentioned above. My compressor is running all the time, and although I am still buying air tools for it, I use it constantly to power wrenches, grinders, etc. I also have spray equipment and nail guns I use during other wood working projects I do. Get a multi stage unit and something over 40gal, larger the better. I got my used and it is the best money I ever spent.
Olympic 914
Get yourself a good, inexpensive camera. something that you won't cry about if it gets damaged.

I have this one in the garage/shed all the time. the pelican case protects it from dust, moisture, overspray etc.

Take pictures of everything especially wiring. it helps a lot when you go to put things back together, (especially a couple years later)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I am sure a phone would work also but I like the higher resolution pictures a camera will give you.
stugray
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Nov 22 2016, 09:51 AM) *

Get yourself a good, inexpensive camera. something that you won't cry about if it gets damaged.

I have this one in the garage/shed all the time. the pelican case protects it from dust, moisture, overspray etc.

Take pictures of everything especially wiring. it helps a lot when you go to put things back together, (especially a couple years later)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I am sure a phone would work also but I like the higher resolution pictures a camera will give you.

I second this!
Either get a camera with built in wifi and push the photos to your home server, or use an old cellphone.
An advantage to the cellphone is that you can also buy a $10 USB borescope to use with it.
If I take pics with my cellphone, I can go over to the computer and the pics are ready for me to post on the forums right away, no need to manually transfer first.
Andyrew
^Regarding this.

I use my smartphone and all my photos are live upoaded to my computers through "Dropbox" Its a free program up to a certain storage and as many computers as I want can have the photos live download. Makes it extremely easy to post pictures as well as backup information.
iankarr
Congrats! You're in for lots of fun. In addition to the metric socket sets (regular, deep, and thin walled 1/4"), a set of T-handle hex wrenches come in handy. A good torque wrench is key. I recently got the ac/delco 3/8 digital one off amazon. Great range for our cars (7-37 ft-lb) and very accurate at the low end, which you'll need when adjusting the valves. A set of feeler gauges for valve adjustment, too. A good digital timing light with tach is helpful if you plan on tuning your car. A multimeter to track down electrical gremlins, and a micrometer (which HF practically gives away) Then just buy tools as you need them.

As everyone has said, Definitely take lots of pics. More than you think you'll need.
And put everything in a labeled ziplock bag or container. Even things you swear don't need labeling.

Patience is super important. Figuring things out and solving problems is half the fun. If you get frustrated, just come back to it later. The people who put these cars together weren't smarter than you. And they're mechanically very simple once you get to know them. (The cars, not the people).

But the best tool is the 914world community. Remember that if you get stuck or need advice, you've got great, knowledgable people here who love to help.

Looking forward to pics of your progress. Welcome to the addiction!

Amphicar770
Camera is a must but do not rely solely on the photos. A notebook is equally important where you can sketch or take notes on how various assemblies go together. The photos will not always tell you which of the three slightly different length screws went where.

You will need shelves, bins, zip lock bags, tags, etc. to keep all the parts well organized. Otherwise, you will have a big box of assorted stuff and no idea what goes with what.
dlloyd2691
Thank-you to everyone for fantastic solutions and advice. I even brought an old computer into the garage to track everything. What an amazing community!

David (new addict)
cary
As the self proclaimed Tool Whore I refrained from commenting about tools.
But I thought I'd add a couple thoughts.

Triple square allen drivers. This is were you want too spend a little extra money.
You'll use these to remove the CV joint bolts.

https://store.snapon.com/Triple-Square-Stan...mm-P631924.aspx

I'd buy the 6 & 8 triple square and the 5,6 & 8 standard allen off a tool truck or SnapOn.com. These are the only SnapOn tools I owned for a long time. I'd never had to cut off a CV bolt until I had to help Mike cut one off his car. Knock on wood.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.