Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recommended Tools & How to Start, I'm new to the 914 community and restoring cars in general. Looking for a recommended list of tools to have handy and perhaps places to start.
Mark Henry
post Nov 22 2016, 08:46 AM
Post #21

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

You can come up and visit me, I am a business (engine and trans, custom fab), but I love to talk Porsche, VW, 914 and show off my babies, tools, etc.,
That's all free. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm 20 minutes N/E of Bowmanville, 60 minutes from Young/401 but that's no traffic and I drive a tad fast.

There's also Mike's 914 in Colborne, ON he does good work and has parts.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PlantMan
post Nov 22 2016, 09:17 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 17,352
Region Association: Southern California

I would second the compressor but only after you have a selection of appropriate hand tools and a couple torque wrenches mentioned above. My compressor is running all the time, and although I am still buying air tools for it, I use it constantly to power wrenches, grinders, etc. I also have spray equipment and nail guns I use during other wood working projects I do. Get a multi stage unit and something over 40gal, larger the better. I got my used and it is the best money I ever spent.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Nov 22 2016, 10:51 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Get yourself a good, inexpensive camera. something that you won't cry about if it gets damaged.

I have this one in the garage/shed all the time. the pelican case protects it from dust, moisture, overspray etc.

Take pictures of everything especially wiring. it helps a lot when you go to put things back together, (especially a couple years later)

Attached Image

Attached Image

I am sure a phone would work also but I like the higher resolution pictures a camera will give you.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Nov 22 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Nov 22 2016, 09:51 AM) *

Get yourself a good, inexpensive camera. something that you won't cry about if it gets damaged.

I have this one in the garage/shed all the time. the pelican case protects it from dust, moisture, overspray etc.

Take pictures of everything especially wiring. it helps a lot when you go to put things back together, (especially a couple years later)

Attached Image

Attached Image

I am sure a phone would work also but I like the higher resolution pictures a camera will give you.

I second this!
Either get a camera with built in wifi and push the photos to your home server, or use an old cellphone.
An advantage to the cellphone is that you can also buy a $10 USB borescope to use with it.
If I take pics with my cellphone, I can go over to the computer and the pics are ready for me to post on the forums right away, no need to manually transfer first.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 22 2016, 01:42 PM
Post #25

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

^Regarding this.

I use my smartphone and all my photos are live upoaded to my computers through "Dropbox" Its a free program up to a certain storage and as many computers as I want can have the photos live download. Makes it extremely easy to post pictures as well as backup information.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Nov 22 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #26

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Congrats! You're in for lots of fun. In addition to the metric socket sets (regular, deep, and thin walled 1/4"), a set of T-handle hex wrenches come in handy. A good torque wrench is key. I recently got the ac/delco 3/8 digital one off amazon. Great range for our cars (7-37 ft-lb) and very accurate at the low end, which you'll need when adjusting the valves. A set of feeler gauges for valve adjustment, too. A good digital timing light with tach is helpful if you plan on tuning your car. A multimeter to track down electrical gremlins, and a micrometer (which HF practically gives away) Then just buy tools as you need them.

As everyone has said, Definitely take lots of pics. More than you think you'll need.
And put everything in a labeled ziplock bag or container. Even things you swear don't need labeling.

Patience is super important. Figuring things out and solving problems is half the fun. If you get frustrated, just come back to it later. The people who put these cars together weren't smarter than you. And they're mechanically very simple once you get to know them. (The cars, not the people).

But the best tool is the 914world community. Remember that if you get stuck or need advice, you've got great, knowledgable people here who love to help.

Looking forward to pics of your progress. Welcome to the addiction!

+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Nov 23 2016, 09:49 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Camera is a must but do not rely solely on the photos. A notebook is equally important where you can sketch or take notes on how various assemblies go together. The photos will not always tell you which of the three slightly different length screws went where.

You will need shelves, bins, zip lock bags, tags, etc. to keep all the parts well organized. Otherwise, you will have a big box of assorted stuff and no idea what goes with what.
+Quote Post
dlloyd2691
post Nov 23 2016, 05:17 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 19,951
Region Association: Canada

Thank-you to everyone for fantastic solutions and advice. I even brought an old computer into the garage to track everything. What an amazing community!

David (new addict)
+Quote Post
cary
post Nov 23 2016, 09:59 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

As the self proclaimed Tool Whore I refrained from commenting about tools.
But I thought I'd add a couple thoughts.

Triple square allen drivers. This is were you want too spend a little extra money.
You'll use these to remove the CV joint bolts.

https://store.snapon.com/Triple-Square-Stan...mm-P631924.aspx

I'd buy the 6 & 8 triple square and the 5,6 & 8 standard allen off a tool truck or SnapOn.com. These are the only SnapOn tools I owned for a long time. I'd never had to cut off a CV bolt until I had to help Mike cut one off his car. Knock on wood.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 02:39 AM