Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914Rubber Rear Bumper Top & License Plate Light Housing, Am I missing something?
BeatNavy
post Nov 23 2016, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I purchased one of Mark's rear bumper tops. It's very well made, and with a little effort I got it mounted to the bumper nicely. It's such a great improvement over the old raggedy one I had. A little chrome cleaning/polishing and the rear bumper on my '72 looks much nicer!

But (there's always a but, it seems), the license plate light housing has me scratching my head a bit. On one side of the new bumper top there appear to be two holes partly pre-punched where I assume the screws for the light housing would go. But the holes are spaced wider than the old top and don't line up with the light housing. On the other side there's only one pre-punched hole.

Do I just need to drill a hole in new top for the screws? I assume there's a small metal insert in there similar to the old one. Here's a pic of one of the lights. The housing did line up with the holes on the old bumper top. Again, early car/bumper.

Thanks all.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Nov 23 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Yep, he messed up on the holes. He was supposed to make adapters, but I have not seen them yet. You might be able to drill new holes, but I would wait for additional feedback. I installed a lighted license plate frame for now. Curious, is yours straight across with no sag? Also curious if yours flairs out at the ends? Both my front and rear 914rubber bumper tops stick out on the sides.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 23 2016, 02:45 PM
Post #3

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Bolllocks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Thanks Steve.

Mine doesn't seem to sag in the middle. I did struggle a bit to get it on the ends, and so it may flare slightly at the ends. I assumed that it would settle in over time, especially when it's warmer.

Off to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. I'll see about posting a pic later this week.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 23 2016, 06:48 PM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Yes will need to retool these. Will do so this next year. Hate to redo stuff, but yeah we will need to fix this.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 01:41 AM